Good room at BWV for mobility limited guest?

chuckcorden

DVC member, Pirates of the Caribbean fan, UConn fa
I will be at Boardwalk Villas (preferred view) starting on Sept. 28:banana: and I was wondering if I should call for a request to be placed in a room that is close to elevators. I use a cane when walking and an ECV when touring the parks.

At my home resort, SSR, I made such a request and they placed me at a building close to the pool, restaurants, etc which was great. While I feel that such a request is necessary at SSR due to its size, is such a request necessary at BWV? And by doing so, would I be giving up a room with a "preferred" view for the sake of a shorter walk to the elevators.:confused3

Any help will be gratefully accepted.:cool1:

The preferred view rooms that are on the Village Green are very nice and close to the elevators. Now some have described that area as noisy (if you think about it, you can notice the Friendship Boats tooting for instance)...we thought it was a great location.

Bobbi:goodvibes

on my first stay got a first floor handicapped room that mother loved.

it was right next to the elevators.

but yes if you want the BW view - it isn't going to happen.

however there is the village green it is not that much further.

most of these close to the elevator preferred rooms are the main pool.

on the other side are the standard views.

You might also want to look into renting an ECV from one of the off-site places (if you look in the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of the disABILITIES Board, there are phone numbers and links to the places DIS posters report using most).
That way, it won't matter as much where your room is and you will have an ECV to use at the resort.

As SueM said, we rented offsite (Walker I believe) for my father last fall. We had a beautiful boardwalk view, however we were not close to the elevators. My dad was able to just take the elevator to our floor in his ECV and drive it down the hall to our room. We were not the only ones doing this by far. If you rent from offsite, I believe you save money, and allow alot more freedom for room location and other types of issues. Either way, good luck!

How about requesting a first floor room? It is one level below the lobby, but connects to the bus stop from the wing near the parking lot and connects to the boardwalk and boats near the pool. This would minimize being dependant on the elevators.

Best of luck -- Suzanne

When we went in January we were in a room on the first floor, looking out onto the main pool. It had a patio instead of a balcony, which is a possible downside, but it was great to be on the first floor. We had easy access to the pool and didn't have to bother with elevators if we wanted to go to the bus stop or boat dock. We only need to use the elevators if we needed to go to the lobby (it's on the 2nd floor).

The preferred view rooms that are on the Village Green are very nice and close to the elevators. Now some have described that area as noisy (if you think about it, you can notice the Friendship Boats tooting for instance)...we thought it was a great location.

Bobbi:goodvibes

Your advice sounds promising. I guess I'll call Member Services and make such a request. I know that they can't "guarantee" that a request will be granted but I feel that they make a concerted effort to do so.:thumbsup2

Thanks, Bobbi.

As an aside, didn't I just read somewhere that you are going to be able to rent ECVs at the surrey stand on the Boardwalk? If you can rent one right there for your entire stay, you maybe able to enjoy any view you want.

As an aside, didn't I just read somewhere that you are going to be able to rent ECVs at the surrey stand on the Boardwalk? If you can rent one right there for your entire stay, you maybe able to enjoy any view you want.
Here's a recent thread about ECV rentals right at Boardwalk.

Just another note; all the off-site wheelchair/ECV rental places listed in the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of the disABILITIES Board will deliver free of charge to your WDW resort. One (Randys) delivers right to your room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter