Goofy Financial Mistakes

Carol_

DIS Veteran
Post here any financial goofs you’ve made along your path in life.
I’ll start. Today was an unusually busy day at the warehouse club. I meant to buy some sheets. I did not mean to buy the 750 thread count hotel sheets DS7 put into the cart along with the two other sets I’d chosen. By the time I’d gotten to checkout, I was too exhausted to put them back. If I can remember to do it, I’ll return them next time I go back. If they’re still here in a month, I’m keeping them.
What was your goofy financial moment recent or not?

Goofy?

I bought a 100 dollar hat because I liked it and didn't pay attention to the price until I got the receipt...too late I had already committed.

Not realizing they already put a 20% tip on a Disney character meal (we had about 12 people), and adding another 20% tip. This was a few years ago before it was a common practice to include tips for parties over 6 people. When you have 6 restless kids all under the age of 10, you usually want to get out quickly :)

I do this a lot, actually. I buy something I already have. Like, I will buy a giant bottle of vitamins at Costco and then completely forget I did that and next time I go, I'll buy another thinking I need it. And then I get home and I have plenty. It always annoys me. I have such a terrible memory for certain things.

Not a goofy financial mistake but the comment about the sheets at the warehouse club brought up a memory from years ago. My daughter and I were at the local Sam's Club stocking up. As we walked through the area where the bedding items are I spied queen size heated mattress toppers for $50. I made the comment that "I think Mom might like that." My daughter chimed in "she's not the only one!"

That comment cost me $100. :oops:

Post here any financial goofs you’ve made along your path in life.
I’ll start. Today was an unusually busy day at the warehouse club. I meant to buy some sheets. I did not mean to buy the 750 thread count hotel sheets DS7 put into the cart along with the two other sets I’d chosen. By the time I’d gotten to checkout, I was too exhausted to put them back. If I can remember to do it, I’ll return them next time I go back. If they’re still here in a month, I’m keeping them.
What was your goofy financial moment recent or not?
OMG keep those sheets. They'll last you for YEARS and you'll feel a little boost of happy every time you get in bed. KEEP THEM.

I opened a Questrade account and bought stocks in a pair of companies I thought were *really* going somewhere. One Cease Trade Order and two margin calls later - I'm at just about zero. I call this goofy because I only invested $1000 so it's not a catastrophic loss 🤦‍♀️

I opened a Questrade account and bought stocks in a pair of companies I thought were *really* going somewhere. One Cease Trade Order and two margin calls later - I'm at just about zero. I call this goofy because I only invested $1000 so it's not a catastrophic loss 🤦‍♀️
Lol. Try some I-bonds. Then LEAVE THEM ALONE. ;)

I have a $50 Costco Cash card that I keep forgetting to use.
I have a $50 gift card for Best Buy. The balance could be 0 for all I know now, got it from work years ago. Can't think of anything to buy at Best Buy. Not even sure where the gift card is even at.

I had $27 winning tickets from the big lottery a few years ago (1.7 billion?) Sat on a table for so long when I finally thought to cash them in, they were just blank pieces of paper.

I have a $50 gift card for Best Buy. The balance could be 0 for all I know now, got it from work years ago. Can't think of anything to buy at Best Buy. Not even sure where the gift card is even at.

It probably is still $50 since they do business in California and in California gift cards can not loose value. They have small appliances - blenders, mixers, etc. Maybe one of your daughter will need/want something like that for their own place some day.

I had $27 winning tickets from the big lottery a few years ago (1.7 billion?) Sat on a table for so long when I finally thought to cash them in, they were just blank pieces of paper.
I'm pretty sure that Best Buy sells gift cards to other places. You could probably buy a gift card for a place you would actually use.

Found myself with graduation money in 2009. Bought stock in Amazon, Walmart, and a video game company. Flash forward a year, video company goes bankrupt. I sell Amazon and Walmart to offset my losses and exit the market.

Amazon shares alone would be 50x what I invested if I held.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter