• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Got My Suitcase and a Dream – A DCP Adventure Updated 1/28

xoSamma

DIS Veteran
Got My Suitcase and a Dream – A DCP Adventure

“It don’t matter if you’re rich or broke, it don’t matter if you’ve given up hope. All you need is a little drive to make your dreams begin to come alive. Everybody’s got their ideas and me I’ve got mine too. So I took out my suitcase and packed up my dream and now its time to follow through. “

Hello all and welcome to my DCP adventure! For those who may not know me I’m Sam and I will be disembarking on a journey of a lifetime! I am participating in the Walt Disney World College Program for Fall 2014. Here I hope to share my adventures through posts as well as videos and will try my very best to do that.

I am quite the Disney fan who was raised on disney movie, sing-a-longs and trips to disney world. In my spare time you can find me planning my next trips or dream trips, planning my next restaurants to eat at, or watching trip videos but my favorite thing for the longest time is learning secrets in the parks and behind the scene stories.

I am lucky enough to be moving to Florida with my best friend! Brittany and I have been planning this journey together for over 2 years now and the fact that its right around the corner is crazy! We both are college graduates as of May 2014 and hope to one day educate some little ones….however right now we need to live out our Disney Dreams.

And just to make this adventure even more exciting the YOLO crew will be reunited and romp around the magical place on earth for 5 months! Alicia (Alish) is full time with the Disney company and Andy (Randy) is participating in the DCP Fall advantage program so he has been down there since May.

You can also follow my journey via Twitter and instagram @samma507

:tinker:"Did someone say adventure? Well then adventure it is!"
LET THE MEMORIES BEGIN!

Table of Contents

Pre-Arrival
Application Process
Vacation Turns Into A Staycation
Fort Wilderness - Day 1
Fort Wilderness - Day 2
Fort Wilderness - Day 3
Fort Wilderness - Day 4
Fort Wilderness - Last Day

Disney College Program
Check In!
The Journey Begins Now! Week 1 Pt 1
Week 1 Pt 2
Training and Park Fun! Week 2 Pt 1
Week 2 Pt 2
All Work Some Play Week 3 Pt 1
Week 3 Pt 2
Low Crowds = Park Time! Week 4 Pt 1
Week 4 Pt 2
Character Hunting! Week 5 Pt 1
Soarin Backstage Tour! Week 5 Pt 2
Week 5 Pt 3
It's Just Like Small World Week 6 Pt 1
Week 6 Pt 2
A Spooktacular Celebration Week 7 Pt 1
Week 7 Pt 2
The Week We Self Termed Week 8 Pt 1
Week 8 Pt 2
Away We Go! Week 9 Pt 1
Week 9 Pt 2
It's Really Not So Scary Week 10 Pt 1
When Are We Going To DTD? Week 10 Pt2
Week 10 Pt 3
Ebola In The Monster World Week 11 Pt 1
Week 11 Pt 2
VIP Treatment Week 12 Pt 1
Week 12 Pt 2
The Never Ending Work Week Week 13 Pt 1
Week 13 Pt 2
Finally A Real Disney Vacation! Week 14 Pt 1
Week 14 Pt 2
Week 14 Pt 3
Week 14 Pt 4
I Need A BAE....Max Week 15 Pt 1
Week 15 Pt 2
It's Turkey Lurky Time Week 16
Series of Unfortunate Events Week 17 Pt 1
Week 17 Pt 2
What A WONDER To Behold! Cruise Day 1 Pt 1
Cruise Day 1 Pt 2
Cruise Day 2 Pt 1
Cruise Day 2 Pt 2
Cruise Day 3
Cruise Day 4 Pt 1
Cruise Day 4 Pt 2
Cruise Day 5 Pt 1
Cruise Day 5 Pt 2
Cruise Day 6
Once Upon A Christmas Time Week 19 Pt 1
Week 19 Pt 2
Week 19 Pt 3
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas Week 20 Pt 1
Week 20 Pt 2
HAPPY NEW YEAR! Week 21 Pt 1
Thats A BIG 10:4!!! Week 21 Pt 2
Week 21 Pt 3
Living The Club Level Life Week 22 Pt 1
Week 22 Pt 2
And That's a Wrap Week 22 Pt 3
DCP Conclusion

APPLICATION PROCESS

I have been thinking about applications for over 2 years so I did all my research way in advanced. Applications came out on Thursday February 6th. I unfortunately was unable to apply right away, I remember I was student teaching when Alicia texted me saying that Andy applied and received his web based interview. I was anxious the whole day and told myself I would just wait until the next day. Well that didn’t happen so once I got home from student teaching and dance I sat down and applied. The application is pretty simple, you just give all your information such as personal, school, and past work experience. At the end of the application they give you a long list of different roles where you decide if you are interested in them ranking them high, moderate, low or no interest. Once I completed this part of the application it began the waiting game to see if I move onto the web based interview.

At 1:56 AM I received an email saying I was selected to participate in the web based interview. The next day I was just a hot mess since I always had the feeling that I would be the one to fail the WBI. Friday night I locked myself in my room and completed the WBI and I must say I worked myself up for no reason. At 7:12 PM I received another email inviting me to set up a phone based interview. So I logged onto the site and set my phone interview for February 14 at 6:30…what a special valentines date for me!

A week past and the day of the interview was CRAZY! It was the last day before a week off of school for my lovely kindergarten class. It was also Valentines Day and a pow wow party to wrap up my Native Americans unit with them. My cooperating teacher ended up going home sick that morning so I ran the whole day of fun activities. I got home and the rest of the family had plans for that night so I got the house to myself. Around 6:10-6:15 I locked myself in the room and played the waiting game. My phone rang at 6:32, 2 minutes late and those 2 minutes were torture. My interviewer was super nice we talked a lot about BBB and working with children. After my interview I was feeling good but it was the start of the longest waiting game ever.

Fast forward to March 4th I was finishing up my last week of student teaching at my first placement. As my class was getting ready to go home I saw my phone light up and it saying “Thank You For Your Interest” AKA the words you never want to see. My heart sunk but I couldn’t check my email just yet. So I took my class out to the busses like everyday and came rushing back in. Thank goodness it was just an email saying that they were still processing my application (pending) and that I still had a chance. However I could wait up to April 18th to hear either good or bad news.

After a week of telling myself this was it I was going to get rejected I finally received the magical email. I was just painting some shoes when I received the email. I literally jumped out of my seat, ran to Gmas and almost cried tears of joy (I don’t show emotions) She automatically asked me what I was going to be doing. The Congratulation email doesn’t tell you and you have to wait for another email. Although I had a feeling I would be custodial.

So I ran back and followed the link to my role. I was given the role of custodial. At this time Pa arrived home from work and said that I was following in his footsteps…just in the magical place on earth. Custodial wasn’t anywhere near my top choices but I didn’t care because I was going to be working in DISNEY! Plus looking back now working in a daycare helps with custodial since I’m use to dealing with poop and vomit as well as cleaning up after people.

I accepted my role in custodial, paid the fees and chose my program dates. I was originally suppose to start August 4 – January 7. However when Brittany was accepted didn’t have the choice of August 4 so we switched to starting August 11th and we later received an email from Disney saying they changed our ending date to January 5th.

So I will be living in the happiest place on earth from August 11 to January 5

Wonderful news!!! My daughter is already looking into this program and she is only 14. princess:Her dream is to become an animator:artist:..and for Disney of course. Looking forward to following you every step of the way.:drive: She will be reading along as well. Good luck!!!

Congrats on your DCP acceptance! Love reading your family's trip reports, so I am really looking forward to your DCP report! I'll be in the World in October, so if I see you, I'll say HI!

Looking forward to your magical adventures!!! Congratulations!!!

Congrats Sam, and it's awesome that you'll be surrounded by friends. My bestie did the DCP when he was a junior in university and he loved it!

So exciting! :cheer2: I love reading the YOLO reports, we will be there first week of September. I'll be sure to keep my eyes open for you guys.

Super exciting! I can't believe you'll be there so soon! Can't wait to read about all your adventures.

Vacation Turns Into a Staycation

Since being accepted in March it has become a game of how I’m I getting down to Florida. When Alicia did her program she tried the flying method but Ma and Pa at the last minute drove her stuff down. Ma then decided that she has made many road trips to Florida over the past 2 years for Alicia that she decided we just fly down. This then led to a short family vacation before my program starts…this way I can get everything down with everyone’s second suitcase thanks to Southwest 2 free checked luggage!

So we will be vacationing in Disney from August 6 – August 10.
Originally we were going to stay at AoA but we had a problem with getting Alicia’s CM discount on the dining plan so we switched over to our family favorite resort FORT WILDERNESS.

Although we were just there in October I am so excited to go back. This time however we will be doing it right with 2 of my favorite things on Disney property… a big family dinner at Hoop Dee Doo and the sing-along campfire with chip and dale.

Also on this short getaway we will be trying out restaurants that our new to our family around property. These include
House of Blues
Boatwrights
Whispering Canyons – Breakfast
Ohana – not new just a family favorite!

Once the vacation comes to an end on Sunday half the family is flying home while the other half of us will stay at Alicia and Andy’s apartment. Then monday morning I check into CP housing!

Subbing!! So excited to follow along on your journey since I will soon (hopefully) be going on DCP myself! Quick question: what were the fees that you mentioned in the application process? (If you don't mind me asking ;))

so exciting for you but sad that Brittany won't be there too,can't wait to hear all about your adventures

Yay.... So happy and excited for you!! Best of luck doing the DCP. Can't wait to read about all you adventures. Enjoy every second of it!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Subbing!! So excited to follow along on your journey since I will soon (hopefully) be going on DCP myself! Quick question: what were the fees that you mentioned in the application process? (If you don't mind me asking ;))

Thank you! There is a $300 fee you have to pay for before you start your program that covers the first couple weeks of rent as well as cost of housing events​

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter