Gotta be honest.... Not my best trip

Michael Bowling (Connecting With Walt, for those of you that listen to the show) is coming out in December, and we're going to the parks on 2-3-4 December. This is the first holiday season I'm not looking forward to it. It's sad.

We’ll be there 11/30 and 12/1 with my parents. I’m worried, and we’re not even there over the weekend.

Mary Jo, why do you say that? You are pretty positive and also you seem to enjoy the little things (not overly ride ride rides), what has you down?
I think all of the negative threads are affecting how I am feeling about the visit. We're doing the Holiday tour, and I'm still planning on watching them make candy canes on Sunday, but there have been so many reports about rides down, etc., and generally unhappy people. I'm sure that when I go I will have a different attitude - I'm always about making the bet of things, and I do love the atmosphere in general. I'll be sure to give me own feedback when I get back.

I think all of the negative threads are affecting how I am feeling about the visit. We're doing the Holiday tour, and I'm still planning on watching them make candy canes on Sunday, but there have been so many reports about rides down, etc., and generally unhappy people. I'm sure that when I go I will have a different attitude - I'm always about making the bet of things, and I do love the atmosphere in general. I'll be sure to give me own feedback when I get back.
My recommendation is to adjust expectations. This wasn't my normal trip. We normally have ample dinning and resort activities to break up the day. The INSANE crowds, NOT being able to get through security timely for Early Entry, and attractions being down left and right just messed up how I like to vacation. I felt in 4 days we got in one, maybe a day and a half of the park this visit (while SCRAMBLING) just to do it. Not my usual approach. We usually take ample breaks. The inability to park hop before 1, a long walk back, and not taking enough downtime and not experience things influenced that. I'm a take it slow and take it all in guy. Was hard to do this trip.

The negative threads can definitely put a shade over things, like social media can in general. People don’t usually post the positives. At least for me, it’s not about the number of rides I go on - or even rides at all! I met a friend this week and we spent 6 hrs in the park and *chose* not to do any rides. It was a great evening just being there. Keep your positive attitude and focus on what matters most to YOU.

The negative threads can definitely put a shade over things, like social media can in general. People don’t usually post the positives. At least for me, it’s not about the number of rides I go on - or even rides at all! I met a friend this week and we spent 6 hrs in the park and *chose* not to do any rides. It was a great evening just being there. Keep your positive attitude and focus on what matters most to YOU.

This really underscores how I feel about DLR right now - I won’t go as an out of towner paying the actual daily rate to be there. This strategy works great if you’re a magic key holder (I was a local AP a few years ago, so I remember the experience), but not if you’re paying for 1-5 day tickets. To me, it seems like most of the positive reports lately are from local (ish) key holders who can just cut their losses and hope for better luck next time.

Not arguing with what you’re saying at all - I’ve just been in both positions, and things are much different when the amount you’re paying just to be inside the park per hour is SO high.

I would normally agree. We do a metered pace. Lots of breaks, HOWEVER, you want to ride SOME attractions. I mean who's gonna pay $150 just to hang out for the day (yes, been there, done that). The Crowds though.... Maybe if they weren't so bad, but it's crazy.

This really underscores how I feel about DLR right now - I won’t go as an out of towner paying the actual daily rate to be there. This strategy works great if you’re a magic key holder (I was a local AP a few years ago, so I remember the experience), but not if you’re paying for 1-5 day tickets. To me, it seems like most of the positive reports lately are from local (ish) key holders who can just cut their losses and hope for better luck next time.

Not arguing with what you’re saying at all - I’ve just been in both positions, and things are much different when the amount you’re paying just to be inside the park per hour is SO high.
Totally understand both perspectives - I only recently relocated back home to SoCal this past august. While I fortunately do have a Mkey from two 2021 trips (long distance I might add as we were in Toronto), my 3 boys did not have keys. So I have paid OOP for 3 separate days for them (one all of us and then two separate 1:1 days with one kid). Those days were *ridiculously* expensive and I definitely at times felt that FOMO and need to “get my moneys worth.” The crowds in October were insane to boot.

Interestingly enough, your sentiment is exactly how I feel about WDW right now after doing a trip with my sister in October - no way I am taking my kids mainly because of the attitudes of other guests.

Most people who have great trips probably aren’t rushing to a board to say such… I myself feel like I have to absent myself from this board for a spell because it’s becoming very negative and I prefer to focus on all the magic that is still there.

Most people who have great trips probably aren’t rushing to a board to say such… I myself feel like I have to absent myself from this board for a spell because it’s becoming very negative and I prefer to focus on all the magic that is still there.
I've always lauded my amazing trips. This was my first disappointing one out of 20 or so. I can be critical of certain aspects, but by and large, I have always loved it and felt it worth the price.

I've always lauded my amazing trips. This was my first disappointing one out of 20 or so. I can be critical of certain aspects, but by and large, I have always loved it and felt it worth the price.
I am so sorry you had such a disappointing experience - I read your trip report and enjoyed your photos and commentary. I hope for all of us that many of these issues are resolved.

Michael Bowling (Connecting With Walt, for those of you that listen to the show) is coming out in December, and we're going to the parks on 2-3-4 December. This is the first holiday season I'm not looking forward to it. It's sad.

Don’t be sad! I just got back and we had a fantastic time! Almost no issues with ride break downs and had a great experience with Genie+ being able to stack while on afternoon break. Wednesday and Thursday were especially great for lines.

Totally understand both perspectives - I only recently relocated back home to SoCal this past august. While I fortunately do have a Mkey from two 2021 trips (long distance I might add as we were in Toronto), my 3 boys did not have keys. So I have paid OOP for 3 separate days for them (one all of us and then two separate 1:1 days with one kid). Those days were *ridiculously* expensive and I definitely at times felt that FOMO and need to “get my moneys worth.” The crowds in October were insane to boot.

Interestingly enough, your sentiment is exactly how I feel about WDW right now after doing a trip with my sister in October - no way I am taking my kids mainly because of the attitudes of other guests.

The boards have become a pretty not great place overall and THAT makes me so sad. Not a lot of kindness left in some places. That said I absolutely respect those that have critiques, calmly but strongly report to management and decide not to go back and *honestly* report their experiences here. This is SO important to correct the misuses of capitalism.

Last edited:
As Laurel And Hardy used to say "it's a fine mess" and I think what Disneyland needs to do is to start improving themselves and not turn into a fine mess and return to the old image that Disneyland had before. Because I think a lot of the reasons why Disneyland is downhill is because they had lost tons of money from being closed between 2020 and 2021 due to the pandemic and when it reopened in 2021 I think Disneyland spent more money on getting the park ready for reopening and focusing on opening new rides and attractions like Avengers Campus rather than maintaining the rides. Because I think the main reason why I think Disneyland has so much ride breakdowns is because the workers find the jobs too hard to do and end up giving up and quitting for the day and if they would get more people hired to fix broken rides it would be a miracle for Disneyland. Regarding the situation at Plaza Inn with character breakfasts I think the reason why characters don't stop at every table now is sometimes it's mainly because the families are busy eating and I don't see why Disneyland doesn't wait until the families finish eating for the characters to visit their tables and as for table skipping this really needs to stop because it is very annoying to people. Last if Disneyland were to improve the park why do you need reservations to go visit it in the first place? Disneyland should not have a reservation system and return to the system of walking into the parks the way it used to be. I mean you are visiting an amusement park not shopping at Costco? But Disneyland should improve itself and return to it's classic image because that's what makes a Disneyland trip wonderful and special and if improvement happens it will be a miracle

I don't travel down there from Canada and pay all that money to not do rides. I can do that at home.

Funny, I did travel down all the way from Canada (Toronto) and spent an entire day not doing rides. To each his own.
We’re here now and having a fantastic time! Used early entry to get ahead of the crowds, rode Alice, Peter Pan, Toad, took a spin on Jingles, then Space. Headed over towards rope drop and booked LL for HM, at rope drop rode Jungle Cruise, walked on to Pirates, used HM LL, then walked on to Smuggler’s Run and booked LL for BTMRR. Had a lovely breakfast at River Belle Terrace, used LL at BTMRR and booked LL for Small World. Did some shopping, rode Small World, booked LL for Guardians. More shopping, rode a couple of Main St. vehicles and the train. Hopped to DCA for Guardians where we got my favorite song, booked LL for Soarin’, then watched Dr. Strange show. Rode Soarin’ then hopped back to DL to pick up packages and took the monorail back to the hotel to take a break before dinner. I couldn’t have asked for a better day. The magic is still here! 🙂

This is absolutely it. Bottom line. It's my husband and I, and 4 kids - 11, 9, 7, 4. It costs us literally $1000/day to be there. ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS. We do our part to maximize- we're there an hour before rope drop, and we're dragging asleep toddlers out at 10pm. Time in the park doesn't matter when rides are repeatedly down, it's tough to navigate the park because there are so many bodies, and you feel super inefficient wasting 90 minutes in line for a 4 minute ride. My kids (and husband...and me, frankly) are not about to pay $1000 to sit on a bench and eat a (subpar, IMO) churro.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter