• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gotta get it off my chest

myjames22

Earning My Ears
Maybe this is wrong and faulty, but my family is spending a great deal of money to take someone on vacation to Disney (all great so far) but the issue is that he has lost cognitive ability to the point where he is not aware of what is going on.

My sister keeps saying that “this is what he wanted”…but I tried to tell her – this is what he wanted two years ago…when he was lucid, when he knew what was going on. Nowadays he does not know where he is, what is going on.

Not expecting sympathy or advice, just a bit of a rant from someone who just frustrated.

Maybe this is wrong and faulty, but my family is spending a great deal of money to take someone on vacation to Disney (all great so far) but the issue is that he has lost cognitive ability to the point where he is not aware of what is going on.

My sister keeps saying that “this is what he wanted”…but I tried to tell her – this is what he wanted two years ago…when he was lucid, when he knew what was going on. Nowadays he does not know where he is, what is going on.

It may not be making any difference for him...but it is helping those close to him. It is tough to be close to someone going through that, and even if they are not aware of things, providing the experiences is a cathartic exercise for those close to him. I am sure they are grieving the loss of the direct interaction that they had always known, and doing this for him is helping them deal with that grief.

Does that help explain it?

I understand your frustration. It also might not be healthy for this person to be subjected to experiences he can't understand IF those experiences are making him feel disoriented, confused, etc.
However if he doesn't seem to be having a negative experience, but rather just is along for the ride and unaware, it's not negatively affecting him, then I would just go along with it...at least the family won't be left always thinking "he wanted to go and we never took him" Okay he cant understand but at least they won't live with lifelong regret at never fulfilling his wish. I think this is one of those situations where it's like, as long as it's not hurting him, just go along and let them make themselves feel better.

It may not be making any difference for him...but it is helping those close to him. It is tough to be close to someone going through that, and even if they are not aware of things, providing the experiences is a cathartic exercise for those close to him. I am sure they are grieving the loss of the direct interaction that they had always known, and doing this for him is helping them deal with that grief.

Does that help explain it?

Airship,
This is wonderful advice. I agree. OP, I understand your feelings, but believe this is helping your sister cope....

Currently in the same "family situation" and I completely understand your frustration. I also agree with those above.

They are doing this for themselves. It is something they need to do to fulfill a promise, to try to have normal memories, to hold on to hope that this will be a wonderful and joyous vacation. Maybe even that something may spark some light. It is very very difficult for some family members to accept that the person they knew has faded away and they can not accept who they are now.

But taking someone who has lost that cognitive ability out of their comfort place may spark unexpected anxiety, behaviors, fear and create a nightmare of a vacation. Traveling just to the doctor or store can be stressful, vacation travel can bring on all kinds of things. There is no comfort zone there. No way to get them home quickly. The point you describe their cognitive level at tells me that it is likely to be more stressful than positive. I agree if it is not harmful just because he does not understand but it could be if it could lead to some negative behavior, anxiety etc.

I have this exact family dynamic. MIL is finally in a home close to us. Half the siblings enjoy their time with her, cherish who she is now and do all they can to help her have a quality healthy peaceful life. The other siblings can not let go of who she was, can not relate to who she is, always pressing her to remember or say things she can't and ultimately stress her. We had a similar scenario - huge family reunion in the midwest. Plane ride. FIL wanted her to go, could not accept that we could take this trip and her not go. All staff at her home said it was a bad idea, most the kids felt it was a bad idea. He was determined. Sadly he suddenly passed away before the reunion. MIL was safe and we were still able to attend the reunion - in their case, do they care for him at home? does it mean if he doesn't go they can't go?

Questions:
- Are they flying? Is someone his legal guardian? If they try to get him on a flight without that authority and the security determines his condition to be severe, they may not let him travel. Who will stay behind?
- Is one of them going to always be prepared to stay in the hotel that day if they can not manage to go to the park?
- Are they continent and is someone equipped to deal with this? Something we have to consider since only the girls in family change MIL.
- Do they have an emergency medication to give them should there be a physical panic attack that they need to manage? This is not home. They could be in the middle of a park. I have been in middle of a park with DS with a full blown panic attack - it is very difficult.

I know as with our situation, you can't change some people's minds, and unless you also have some say so over this person's daily care, there isn't much you can do but hope that they remain safe. You expressed your concern, now I guess just hope all goes well. Again I understand what they want to do for themselves but sometimes truly loving someone is doing what is right for them. I wish them luck!

I went as a traveling companion to a senior in this situation. It was a stressed, miserable trip that ended w/ family members in tears as "It didn't work. Mom didn't 'come back. "

Never again.

I just went thru this with a parent. depends on how far along he is. they may deliberately wake you up in the middle of the night for no reason at all, try to leave the hotel room and go wandering in night clothes, or go behind the check in desk at the airport and fiddle with things. the caregiver is in the best position to decide I guess. sounds like he wont enjoy or have any memory of this trip. best and maybe only thing to do now is be patient with , smile at, speak gently to, kiss cheek when he's receptive, love on him as often as you can.

Oh my, you are describing my dad; I understand completely! I also agree with those who say you really need to consider how he will react to all the various aspects of such a trip. The crowds, the travel, the sounds, the dining, the hotel, etc. Are any of you the current full-time care-giver? It was extremely painful for us to leave my dad behind when we traveled out of state for my nephews graduation -- but it really was not a situation he could handle anymore, no matter how much we wanted him to be there.

Best luck to you and your family as you work through this new stage in life.

We just went through this with my dads 60th HS reunion. He really wanted my mom to attend, but I knew there was no way she would be able to handle it. She doesn't do well at home, so I knew that a strange situation wasn't in her best interest. She has no idea who my dad is and thinks he is a nice neighbor who comes in to help her out. Not sure how he was going to handle her for a long weekend in a hotel around strangers. We finally got dad to the reunion, but it took more planning than sending my DD to college in august!

I hate to say this, but after being around the boards for as long as I have, I have noticed that sometimes people want to use the ill person to pay for a trip they can't afford for themselves.

Not expecting sympathy or advice, just a bit of a rant from someone who just frustrated.

Agree completely with your 'rant'. Some people seem to feel guilty towards the one they 'think' they may be helping by taking them on a trip that they are totally unaware of. I think it is wrong on so many counts, and is helping make their lives more miserable, definitely not 'helping' them as they are unaware. Just better to make them more comfortable at home IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter