• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gotta say Ryno and Fiasco are really honest

You can split a lot of things several ways, but that doesn't take away the fact that it costs X amount of money, and that amount is objectively, a lot, compared to other vacation options that Disney offers.

No one complains about the cost of VIP tours? Um, not sure how you get that. Plenty of people think those are also insanely overpriced. And booking one of those is an add on. It isn't a separate thing. VIP tour guests go to the same parks and ride the same rides as people who don't pay for them. There isn't anything exclusive about them other than the price tag. They stand in the same lightning lanes that people who paid $15 stand in. VIP tours are, arguably, a perk purchased by people who have money to burn. It's an expensive "hack" to maximize your time.

Of course splitting the Halcyon 4 ways makes it cheaper per person. So does splitting a Deluxe hotel room 4 ways, but no one is saying "oh, $1200/night for a room at the Grand Floridian isn't expensive because split 4 ways that's only $300 per person per night." Get outta here. It's expensive. And there is nothing wrong with questioning the VALUE of things that are priced so high. When you are asking people to shell out literally thousands of dollars for 2 nights, you'd better deliver. That's why there is this narrative here.

And again, the $6000 per stay is the LOW END for a family of 4 with 2 CHILDREN. They charge more for 4 adults, and a stay with 4 adults will be closer to $8000, so you aren't getting in, even splitting, for under $2k per person. That's a significant outlay of money for a 45 hour experience.
There are always going to be things some people can't afford while others can and that is just how it is. Most people who have experienced this have said it was worth it and are hoping to return (as Ryno and Craig). Is it for everyone? No. Value is intrinsic, different for everyone, so a little useless to question it. For some $6K is a significant outlay, for others it is not. It's a point that really can't be argued because it is different for everyone. I think a lot of people really wanted this to be a Disney fail because of the cost, which it does not seem to be. I guess only time will tell.

I agree. I loved how they had this relaxed discussion and then used video to show what they were talking about. It made it so easy for me to follow. Loved their reviews so far. Also loved the way Craig edited the report that he, Deni, and Kylie did. I watched the whole thing.

Pete has told them several times that he wants their honest opinion - he doesn't want the team to pander to him or Dreams Unlimited. He's pretty clear on it, and so I trust their reviews to be candid.

-----------------

For the comments about Ryno's opinion on the $6k, I believe he did say that his perspective would be different than what a family of four would pay. He was hearing $6K, and it wasn't until he went that he realized that it wasn't $6k/person... that was my takeaway from what he was saying. If he spoke for families of 4 he would be criticized for giving an opinion on something that he doesn't have experience with.

I think it speaks volumes that Ryno, Craig (and I think Corey) are making plans on going back with friends so they can enjoy the experience fully without carrying cameras in their hands.

I saw another review that showed a 1-bedroom suite at the Galazy Starcruiser. I don't know who would spend that much money for two nights at Galaxy Starcruiser where the majority of the time is better spent experiencing all of the activities and atmosphere outside the room. I think the room aesthetics helps to keep you in the story and isn't meant for you to relax and read a book or watch a movie.
So I can think of a reason why people would book the 1-bedroom suite (because I did for our upcoming trip). The space! We are 4 grown adults going (leaving our kids at home with grandparents) and wanted to not be so cramped when we have all our bags/items/costumes for the trip. Our trip ended up being 7800 including Captain's table which works out to less than 2k per adult (so less than 4k per adult couple). We could have booked two separate rooms but it would have cost more money and we wouldn't have a living room area to hang out in. I admit we're probably not going to spend a TON of time in the room, but it kind of made sense as an upgrade when my quote for a single room with 4 adults was close to 6900. Also my husband was super sold on the Star wars "extras" in the room. Do I feel like a fool for spending more, not at this point, I'm looking forward to having essentially two rooms and a separate bathroom available to us.

Wow this spun Out quickly.

Honestly, this is the most civilized conversation I've seen about this.

im just curious why so many people are so worked up over this. Im not saying here people are worked up on the internet people who haven’t even been are on saying it sucks or it’s great and actually having fights with people and most of the haven’t even experienced it. I find it amusing

Because it's been one thing after another at World and most of this was promised for Galaxy's Edge years ago and moved behind a paywall. Many of these amazing actors are actually from Galaxy's Edge before COVID. Rey? From Galaxy's Edge. The Lieutenant? From Galaxy's Edge. The restaurant with Gaya, promised for Edge and concept art was even released. The roaming droids. The reputation system. A lot of what makes Starcruiser cool came out of those original announcements.

Starcruiser is not so much a "plus" for an extra cost. It's an "instead of." So instead of a fully fleshed out Galaxy's Edge, we get this $4809+ 2-night experience. That's a lot to swallow.

I think if this had debuted at a time when Disney wasn't raising prices, cutting services, limiting passes, reducing entertainment, slashing budgets left and right, etc. all while the parks at World are packed, this wouldn't be such a hot button issue.

Chapek keeps bringing up "Well, we lost money." Disney won't tell you this, but they didn't lose money at World. It was closed 117 days. Between all the lay offs, restructuring their debt, raising prices, cutting annual passes, slowing construction, cancelling projects, removing entertainment, stopping housekeeping, replacing FastPass, World's revenue and, no doubt, profit has come soaring back. It's basically funding the entire parks division (Hey Hong Kong and Paris, are you ever going to make the company any money?). Yet, it's the park constantly getting slashed. WDW is Disney's cash cow and they're milking it for all it's worth. It's ok to be upset about that.

I just hope Starcruiser survives. It's a cool concept. I hope they can keep the quality up and one day I'll get to do it (as an alternative to my normal annual WDW vacation, I have to draw the line somewhere).

Last edited:

I will never forgive Fiasco for reviewing restaurants that he never eat at, but I’m still a fan.

Before I say anything else, I want to say that I am fine with it being expensive and if this is how people choose to spend their money, so be it.

BUT I felt like the conversation was hard to listen because two weeks prior Ryno hosted and discussed with Kathy, at length, the rising costs of Disney and how they were essentially pricing people out.

I understand that splitting a room can greatly reduce the cost of the experience but that same "logic" isn't applied to the rest of the world when discussing cost. Disney is, primarily, a family destination. And it's not a majority of visitors who could "split" a week of vacation at Disney to bring costs down (instead of traveling with their family). Starcruiser is also a Disney product and maybe it's not aimed at the same audience (which is fine) but on the one hand you can't claim they're nickel and diming you, raising prices and making it unaffordable for families and two weeks later turn around and say $4800 for two nights/2 people isn't expensive.
What I felt like the discussion should have been about (not expense) but this is a thing that people want to do and if it's something they really want, the value is perceived differently. The experience was "worth the cost" is a different conversation than it's "not really that expensive."

I generally really enjoy the podcast and all the insights but the cost conversation was a real ugh moment.

Before I say anything else, I want to say that I am fine with it being expensive and if this is how people choose to spend their money, so be it.

BUT I felt like the conversation was hard to listen because two weeks prior Ryno hosted and discussed with Kathy, at length, the rising costs of Disney and how they were essentially pricing people out.

I understand that splitting a room can greatly reduce the cost of the experience but that same "logic" isn't applied to the rest of the world when discussing cost. Disney is, primarily, a family destination. And it's not a majority of visitors who could "split" a week of vacation at Disney to bring costs down (instead of traveling with their family). Starcruiser is also a Disney product and maybe it's not aimed at the same audience (which is fine) but on the one hand you can't claim they're nickel and diming you, raising prices and making it unaffordable for families and two weeks later turn around and say $4800 for two nights/2 people isn't expensive.
What I felt like the discussion should have been about (not expense) but this is a thing that people want to do and if it's something they really want, the value is perceived differently. The experience was "worth the cost" is a different conversation than it's "not really that expensive."

I generally really enjoy the podcast and all the insights but the cost conversation was a real ugh moment.
I understand exactly how you feel. My husband kept wondering why they didn't make rooms with two queen beds on the ships (for more easy adult splitting of a room), and I pointed out probably most people are going to bring children/family. I do wonder if the demographic for Star Cruiser might trend more towards 30s-50s adults that grew up loving the movies and extended universe and wouldn't be adverse to sharing a hotel room to essentially LARP for a weekend. It seems like Disney wanted to keep the rooms as standard as possible, but no one is exactly happy as an adult about sleeping on twin fold down beds or bunks (especially not for that cost). TBH I didn't feel like it would be worth the money if we went and paid more to bring our daughter in a smaller room because it was just so pricey without someone to split the costs with!

I don't believe Disney's target audience for the Starcruiser is families. Families with young children are of course welcome, but that group isn't who will be the bulk of the 'passengers' over time imo. Like a previous poster mentioned, older adults in groups with friends, like Ryno or dinks, like Fiasco, will be the ones who can justify the price. I think many are upset because Disney pumped money into something that doesn't cater to their typical demographic. I know several anti-Disney pro-Star Wars friends who want to come for the 2 night experience then leave, never entertaining the idea of spending a minute more in Disney.

I think the price per person is completely justified when you look at other comparable LARPing experiences and most of those are 18 and over, that's the main LARPing audience. There's a Harry Potter-esque LARPing experience in Poland that looks amazing and is about $1000 per person (for a 3 night experience) but that isn't officially sanctioned and licensed and they can't use any of the licensed names or phrases during the experience and people still gladly pay. People who are into LARP will be able to find friends to share a room and will pay the Starcruiser prices. People like Ryno won't mind sleeping in the bunks and may actually enjoy it more than being in a queen sized bed because they are there to soak up every minute of feeling like they are part of an authentic Star Wars experience. Galaxy's Edge was made for Star Wars fans. The Starcruiser was made for folks who want to live and breathe 48 hours of non-stop Star Wars role playing action, which isn't most families with young children.

I don't believe Disney's target audience for the Starcruiser is families.

Really? Every single piece of promotional material and concept artwork has children in it with the typical family dynamic. They seriously designed the room with a 1 queen bed and 2 bunk beds for families.

All Disney PR done so far has been been targeted at families. I'd guess they're targeting around age 7 or 8 and above.

The experience is pretty on-brand for Disney.

Attachments

• Image_WDW_Star-Wars-Themed-Resort-2.jpg
    Image_WDW_Star-Wars-Themed-Resort-2.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Screen-Shot-2020-11-13-at-5.33.59-PM-800x400.png
    Screen-Shot-2020-11-13-at-5.33.59-PM-800x400.png
    161.7 KB · Views: 3
  • star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-galaxy-class-suite-concept-art-living-room.jpg
    star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-galaxy-class-suite-concept-art-living-room.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 3
  • 596f6c212100003400fc7ab7.jpg
    596f6c212100003400fc7ab7.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 3
  • GalacticStarcruiserCropped-1280x720.jpg
    GalacticStarcruiserCropped-1280x720.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 3
  • gsc-about-chandrila-desktop.png
    gsc-about-chandrila-desktop.png
    427.5 KB · Views: 3
  • gsc-departure-return-desktop.png
    gsc-departure-return-desktop.png
    487.9 KB · Views: 3
  • gsc-experience-story-desktop.png
    gsc-experience-story-desktop.png
    413.3 KB · Views: 3
  • gsc-stack-top-cabin-suites.png
    gsc-stack-top-cabin-suites.png
    554 KB · Views: 3
Really? Every single piece of promotional material and concept artwork has children in it with the typical family dynamic. They seriously designed the room with a 1 queen bed and 2 bunk beds for families.

All Disney PR done so far has been been targeted at families. I'd guess they're targeting around age 7 or 8 and above.

The experience is pretty on-brand for Disney.
Regardless of who the art and promo departments put into the ads, the structure isn't really set up for families with young kids from what I've seen so far. I've read a few reviews of people who have taken children on the Starcruiser and it doesn't seem like a great fit for most kids under 10. No childcare available and no downtime without missing out on key pieces of the storyline. Most kids under 13 can't go for 12-14 hours of interactive role play without needing a serious break- I believe it was Ryno that mentioned it was exhausting (but worth it) after the 2 days. Those pieces of the experience don't seem to be targeted for the average Disney guest imo.

Finally finished Ryno’s experience videos. He did a great job and it’s different than Craig’s. Really enjoyed the late night tour with no people.

That cast member at Falcon though. Way to kill someone’s experience. :oops: Not sure Starcruiser guests should have to wait in an extended LL queue either. They need to rethink that.

The room tour video with Ryno and Corey was fantastic! Loved their chemistry and their bouncing off each other. Made me want for more Ryno and Corey videos in the future.

I don't believe Disney's target audience for the Starcruiser is families. Families with young children are of course welcome, but that group isn't who will be the bulk of the 'passengers' over time imo. Like a previous poster mentioned, older adults in groups with friends, like Ryno or dinks, like Fiasco, will be the ones who can justify the price. I think many are upset because Disney pumped money into something that doesn't cater to their typical demographic. I know several anti-Disney pro-Star Wars friends who want to come for the 2 night experience then leave, never entertaining the idea of spending a minute more in Disney.

I think the price per person is completely justified when you look at other comparable LARPing experiences and most of those are 18 and over, that's the main LARPing audience. There's a Harry Potter-esque LARPing experience in Poland that looks amazing and is about $1000 per person (for a 3 night experience) but that isn't officially sanctioned and licensed and they can't use any of the licensed names or phrases during the experience and people still gladly pay. People who are into LARP will be able to find friends to share a room and will pay the Starcruiser prices. People like Ryno won't mind sleeping in the bunks and may actually enjoy it more than being in a queen sized bed because they are there to soak up every minute of feeling like they are part of an authentic Star Wars experience. Galaxy's Edge was made for Star Wars fans. The Starcruiser was made for folks who want to live and breathe 48 hours of non-stop Star Wars role playing action, which isn't most families with young children.

I couldn't disagree with this more. The fact that every room has bunk beds AND a child sized pull down bed is proof that this experience was designed from the ground up to include young kids. It's Disney. They don't design nearly anything without kids in mind.

In addition, after watching Craig's 3 hour video, it is VERY clear that the "story and gaming elements" are designed to be entry level, pretty easy, and a bit childish if I'm being honest. It really does feel like a game designed for kids about 7 and up. I feel like if this was designed for 18+ the story would be far more sophisticated and the missions actually challenging, such that not everyone would be able to easily complete them.

I couldn't disagree with this more. The fact that every room has bunk beds AND a child sized pull down bed is proof that this experience was designed from the ground up to include young kids. It's Disney. They don't design nearly anything without kids in mind.

In addition, after watching Craig's 3 hour video, it is VERY clear that the "story and gaming elements" are designed to be entry level, pretty easy, and a bit childish if I'm being honest. It really does feel like a game designed for kids about 7 and up. I feel like if this was designed for 18+ the story would be far more sophisticated and the missions actually challenging, such that not everyone would be able to easily complete them.
Yeah, I think it’s definitely marketed at families. Maybe more so families with tweens etc. I know the trackers are heading there with their little one - who even I, who started bringing my kids to Disney at 6 months, is kind of scratching my head at. But my youngest it 5 and we are heading there at the end of the month. She asked me if we’re going back to space like Space 20 (space 220) so it’s nice to get caught up in their wonder. But I’m glad it operates on different levels as I would love to do an adults only visit one day. I hope they enhance the experience for all age groups if it’s successful.

I have appreciated all of the viewpoints. I think that these reviews support the idea that the Dis needs a representative who has younger kids in order to have that viewpoint.

I'll also say that I really appreciated what Len Testa said on his review. He said that it IS worth the money if you are planning to go all in. BUT FIRST, you should travel and see other states, other countries, etc. You should spend money having those experiences--visiting national parks, etc. before you spend that money on this particular experience.

The pull down beds are supposed to support adults up to 6'3" according to the documentation I read. So I imagine they are planning on having adults sleep in them. Not that they'll be amazing beds, but more like a college dorm twin xl mattress.

The pull down beds are supposed to support adults up to 6'3" according to the documentation I read. So I imagine they are planning on having adults sleep in them. Not that they'll be amazing beds, but more like a college dorm twin xl mattress.
And it doesn't seem like sleep is a priority - or everyone is so exhausted it won't matter what they sleep on! Plus, all the regular cabins do not have that fold down bed, some only have the queen and the bunk beds.

They are significantly more narrow than a twin bed. It's like a sleeping bag width.

They are significantly more narrow than a twin bed. It's like a sleeping bag width.
So I watched a video with a room tour, and these look like standard twin sized mattresses no?
You've got me worried that we're not going to fit on them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter