GPA for Med School....

Back in the day I was Premed. I was actually in the Premed/Med program at my school which is connected to a wonderful medical school as well. In other words, I have a guaranteed spot as long as I kept at the minimum requirements. I seem to remember the GPA was a 3.5. I do not remember the MCAT score that was needed. Pretty much what this meant was that anyone who wanted in outside of the Premed/Med program would need to be even higher to make it.

Medical schools are some of the most competitive schools to get in to. I know people who have applied to many MANY medical schools with at least minimum requirements in all of them and have only gotten in maybe one or two of them. I have seen some get shut out because they didn't apply to enough. It is NOT for the faint of heart.

My nephew had a 3.9 GPA in College and did not score high enough on his MCAT to get in. He also limited himself as to what med schools he applied to--only ones in his state and I think that is probably 2 or 3. Right now he is teaching all sciences from 8-12 grade. He did the job shadowing, volunteering and all that too. He's 24 now and I think he's thinking of another direction.

OP, I agree with Cornflake--it was his first semester. I'd give him another semester to see how he does.

Well I guess if he turns things around and really shines for all of the rest of his semesters all is not lost. But I would think if next semester is like this semester he should probably give all of this a lot of thought.

Next week starts the new semester. We will see what happens in May.

And I was just wondering.....can you teach high school sciences without a teaching degree? If you have a degree in science? I guess I thought you had to have a teaching degree (unless he is subbing, then I know you don't need a teaching degree).

My cousin is in med school now, he says he was a solid B student. He got 2 F's during his undergrad years, one in French the other was in a history class.

My cousin is in med school now, he says he was a solid B student. He got 2 F's during his undergrad years, one in French the other was in a history class.

Did he retake the classes? In college you can retake classes to improve your grade. Maybe that is what this boy will need to do with a couple of his classes.

I suppose if you go through a 4 year pre med and don't get into med school you can get a 2 year degree in some other medical program. Here Physical Therapy Assistant is very popular and it is only a 2 year program but they usually only take people with 4 year degrees already. So I suppose that is an option if med school doesn't work out. But I think a 3.0 GPA would be needed for that even.

3.9-4.0 if he's not at a top school. If the school is ranked high in USNWR, they'll cut the kid slack, especially a top five. A University if Chicago or Harvard grad with a 3.6 will have an easier time than a State University grad with a 3.9, everything else equal.

3.9-4.0 if he's not at a top school. If the school is ranked high in USNWR, they'll cut the kid slack, especially a top five. A University if Chicago or Harvard grad with a 3.6 will have an easier time than a State University grad with a 3.9, everything else equal.

No, it is a mid-sized state university.

I used to work in admissions at a state university. If I had a dollar for every "premed" student that is a freshman I would never need to work again. Moast students change their major twice before graduating. Engineering and premed students have the biggest weed out rates. They have a lot of hard lab science and math classes to complete and inevitably they realize that premed was not what they really wanted. Cut this kid a break he is a freshman in college. Next year he might be an Anthropology major with a concentration in stone tools or something. He has plenty of time to figure out if med school is in the cards for him. One semester rarely makes or breaks any one student.

Well I guess if he turns things around and really shines for all of the rest of his semesters all is not lost. But I would think if next semester is like this semester he should probably give all of this a lot of thought.

And I was just wondering.....can you teach high school sciences without a teaching degree? If you have a degree in science? I guess I thought you had to have a teaching degree (unless he is subbing, then I know you don't need a teaching degree).

Private school--no certification needed there. Both of his parents are teachers and are encouraging him to get certified, if, for nothing else, to that to fall back on. He's doing well teaching but doesn't think that's his calling. He likes the coaching though.:rolleyes:

I used to work in admissions at a state university. If I had a dollar for every "premed" student that is a freshman I would never need to work again. Moast students change their major twice before graduating. Engineering and premed students have the biggest weed out rates. They have a lot of hard lab science and math classes to complete and inevitably they realize that premed was not what they really wanted. Cut this kid a break he is a freshman in college. Next year he might be an Anthropology major with a concentration in stone tools or something. He has plenty of time to figure out if med school is in the cards for him. One semester rarely makes or breaks any one student.

Oh I want to see him succeed :)

That's a HUGE business - there are med schools, and vet schools, all over like Grenada, etc., that are filled with Americans who couldn't get into schools here.

My BIL went to vet school in St. Kitts. He graduated at the UN. I'm happy to say he's a fantastic doctor with a thriving practice in both south Florida and Key West.

This is true, but I will add that I stopped seeing my dentist when I saw she had gone to dental school in Grenada. Like really? You couldn't get into an American dental school? No thanks.

Were you happy with her before you saw her diploma? The US is not the be all and end all for education.
Sometimes it's not so much not qualifying for a school as much as it is space is extremely limited.
Don't forget too that Dr. Joe Blow's second cousin might be in his state's legislature and got him into med school. Happens everyday and definitely does not mean that Dr. Joe Blow is a good doctor. Also, Dr. Jane Blow may have passed her boards by the skin of her teeth. There's no way for you to know that information.

............ I graduated in 1986 and my 3.7 gpa was good but NOT stellar........... i had a bunch of friends with 4.0...... i have a friend whose avg went under 3.0 and she was kicked out of the nursing program at our school......... so even almost 30 years ago those GPAs were quite common

Maybe it's because my BA is in English. Not that English is more rigorous than science classes ;), but it was a PITA being graded based upon whether your interpretation of James Joyce's work clicked with the professor or not.

Now that I'm taking science classes, I am just LOVING the answers being cut and dry right or wrong. :lmao:

I am just curious (nothing more). Why are you so invested in what this friend of your daughters is doing? This is not the first post you have made about him, asking about how much his med school will cost, how his GPA is, etc.

Are you sizing him up as potential husband material for your daughter? You seem unusually involved for this being your daughter's friend.

I am just curious (nothing more). Why are you so invested in what this friend of your daughters is doing? This is not the first post you have made about him, asking about how much his med school will cost, how his GPA is, etc.

Are you sizing him up as potential husband material for your daughter? You seem unusually involved for this being your daughter's friend.

I think she has said they have plans to marry in the future although not engaged.

Maybe she's full of questions just in case.

I'm thankful that DD is not romantically involved at this point (also FR in college). She's got a long way to go in school and I'd hate for her to be thinking of marriage at 18!

I will say that sometimes parents get involved because the friend's parents are not. I remember my dad helping a BF of mine out, even helping him get a job because his own father was quite the loser. All of that helped change my BF's life and before my dad died that BF went over to their house and thanked my dad for caring and supporting him, giving him good advice and direction. Maybe westjones is doing something similar.

Well I guess because he is at our house every night, I am concerned that my DD is distracting him from his studies and I don't want her to be the reason he doesn't do well and get into med school. I was hoping that all was well, but after hearing his GPA I know all is not well. I realize that is between them (I only talk to you guys because I don't want to say anything to them).

My nephew had a 3.9 GPA in College and did not score high enough on his MCAT to get in. He also limited himself as to what med schools he applied to--only ones in his state and I think that is probably 2 or 3. Right now he is teaching all sciences from 8-12 grade. He did the job shadowing, volunteering and all that too. He's 24 now and I think he's thinking of another direction.

OP, I agree with Cornflake--it was his first semester. I'd give him another semester to see how he does.

Has he thought about bio-engineering? There are more and more universities with these programs. A Ph.D. in bio-e and the monetary benefits that are available from stem-cell and other cutting-edge research might be a better fit, especially if he is more science-oriented than a people person.

Well I guess because he is at our house every night for several hours, I am concerned that my DD is distracting him from his studies and I don't want her to be the reason he doesn't do well and doesn't get into med school. I was just hoping that all was well and that she wasn't having a negative impact on his school work. But after hearing his GPA I think she may be part of the reason. But I realize that is between them (I only talk to you guys because I don't want to say anything to them....just drop little hints here and there about how important it is to stay on top of the school work).

Honestly, if he needs your DD to change her behavior, and you to tell him these things, he's probably not cut out for medical school. HE needs to figure out the requirements for med school and HE needs to figure out to meet those requirements (which may include not hanging out at your house for several hours a day). It's his future and these are his choices to make. I think it's probably best for all parties involved if you don't get too invested in the idea of his becoming a doctor.

Has he thought about bio-engineering? There are more and more universities with these programs. A Ph.D. in bio-e and the monetary benefits that are available from stem-cell and other cutting-edge research might be a better fit, especially if he is more science-oriented than a people person.

There may be graduate assistantships too if he goes for a PhD.

Maybe it's because my BA is in English. Not that English is more rigorous than science classes ;), but it was a PITA being graded based upon whether your interpretation of James Joyce's work clicked with the professor or not.

Now that I'm taking science classes, I am just LOVING the answers being cut and dry right or wrong. :lmao:

well i had quite bunch of science research papers in biology................and i never saw science as cut and dry............maybe at the begnning levels when u are learning the theories and basics........but surely not in the higher and graduate levels...... when u realize who much unknown there is and u have to use the old noodle to come up with theories.....interperate data and test your theories.............. i always saw science as an adventure for knowledge that was still a unknown

Honestly, if he needs your DD to change her behavior, and you to tell him these things, he's probably not cut out for medical school. HE needs to figure out the requirements for med school and HE needs to figure out to meet those requirements (which may include not hanging out at your house for several hours a day). It's his future and these are his choices to make. I think it's probably best for all parties involved if you don't get too invested in the idea of his becoming a doctor.

Oh I am not 'invested' in him becoming a doctor (he may not even be around in our lives a year from now....DD has dated a lot, but this one is the most serious). But if it is his dream, I don't want my DD to get in his way. She has to work towards her own future (if one day their futures join that is fine, but not to worry about it now).

I guess I hate to see someone let their 'dreams' slip away because of something so silly as wanting to spend every night at our house. It just seems like such a waste.

Of course....maybe if it wasn't my DD, it would be someone else's DD or something else distracting him. When DH and I were in college he wanted to get into grad school and so he made it clear that Mon-Thur I would not be seeing him because he was going to study and sometimes he even studied on Fridays. I even 'mentioned' this to my DD and the boy once. It didn't seem to make an impression.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter