Graduation gifts ?

dreamin_disney

DIS Veteran
Hello.
I was invited to a high school graduation party. I know of the #1 grad through the conversations of the parent. I’ve only bumped into the grad2-3 times with her parents.

The party is also with two other family members grad #2 & grad#3, that I’ve never met but know through conversations from the family member And they know of me through conversations of the friend/family member

grad #1 I’d like to get something since I feel like I know her more and friend of one of her parents.
what do I get her? I was thinking money or gift card how much? Any other gift ideas?

Do I get something for the other two, if so like what?

I also have a step niece that’s graduating high school. Haven’t seen her in years but her mom, my husband’s step sister does text him happy birthday, merry Christmas etc.
what would be a good amount to give $50 or $100

I think it depends on how well you know the kid or their parents. Money is the most typical gift, and IME most grads are just happy for every penny they get, and do not judge how much is in a given envelope.

I tend to give $50-75 to kids I know well and am close to, and maybe $20 or so to the child of an aquaintance if I attend a party (no one in my circle throws really fancy parties; we're talking backyard hot dogs.) Family members sometimes get more, again, depending on how close we are. If it is the child of a distant relative who I haven't seen in decades, I just send a note of congratulations with regrets for the party.

I don't think that anyone expects you to give a gift to other honorees if you attend a joint party where only 1 of the honorees is known to you. Usually just congratulating those kids when you are introduced is enough.

I would say cash over gift cards unless the grad has specifically asked for cards to a certain place. Compared to what I see many other people post about gifts in this group, my suggestions are going to seem really cheap, but this is the norm where I am. I will usually send $25 to a graduate that I really only know the parents. I will send $40-$50 to a graduate that I actually know the student graduating.

For those I don’t know well, I give a check in the amount of a graduating year, so $23 this year. I’ve also given small umbrellas in college colors in addition (my kids had large friend groups). My 22 year old graduated college last year, this year away at grad school she told me her umbrella broke. I asked how long the one I gave her lasted, she said that was the one. I couldn’t believe she never lost it (and sent her another one, she’s in Boston).

I would say cash over gift cards unless the grad has specifically asked for cards to a certain place. Compared to what I see many other people post about gifts in this group, my suggestions are going to seem really cheap, but this is the norm where I am. I will usually send $25 to a graduate that I really only know the parents. I will send $40-$50 to a graduate that I actually know the student graduating.
My short answer is cash, but a gift card for a store like Target is readily usable to just about everyone to buy essentials. If the student has a (gas-powered) car, gas station gift cards are another possibility. (for a national company)

Gift cards for more specialized stores though can be harder to use, so it depends.

One plus of some gift cards is that some can now be sent electronically. Another is they can often be bought at a discount. This week Panera is offering an extra bonus $10 for every $50gift card bought. I'm not advocating Panera, but a number of other chains are offering similar deals right now, assuming you know the grad happens to like a specific chain. (and the bonus card often has an expiration)

Still one more possibility- with some advantages and disadvantages - are the credit-card style gift cards. They often have a $6 fee, but periodically they are sold at a discount, plus small credit card bonuses.

Gift cards can be a way to boost the amount you are able to gift.

When my cousins graduated, I gave them money that I'd folded up into things. I made a shirt and tie with a pocket square that I'd stuck a folded 20 in so it read 2020, I also made a 'tips and tricks' for the one going to my alma mater that I emphasized every point with a money origami (made a car, bike, umbrella, etc.) and I also made an umbrella that when opened 'rained' money on the grad so they got money and a functioning umbrella lol. But I enjoy doing that kind of thing and coming up with ideas, they indulged me but would've been just as happy with just straight cash lol. I set a budget of $75 for each grad, don't know why I chose that number but it seemed like a good number.

When my cousins graduated, I gave them money that I'd folded up into things. I made a shirt and tie with a pocket square that I'd stuck a folded 20 in so it read 2020, I also made a 'tips and tricks' for the one going to my alma mater that I emphasized every point with a money origami (made a car, bike, umbrella, etc.) and I also made an umbrella that when opened 'rained' money on the grad so they got money and a functioning umbrella lol. But I enjoy doing that kind of thing and coming up with ideas, they indulged me but would've been just as happy with just straight cash lol. I set a budget of $75 for each grad, don't know why I chose that number but it seemed like a good number.
This sounds fun, but your post reminded me of something...

There is a company that advertises surprise boxes this time of year. I do not recall the name of the company that sells them, but I just saw an ad a few days ago. The ad shows colorful butterflies gently flying around and everyone smiles.

I made the mistake of buying one a few years back.

The butterflies are somewhat neat, and they really do fly around, BUT, their flight is not gentle. They are powered by rubber bands, same as those little balsa-wood airplane-shaped gliders. As soon as the box is opened, they RAPIDLY spring out in all directions, much like the gag/prank gift called, "can of snakes," or a jack-in-the-box.

To be fair, the butterflies are pretty, and they are fun to play with, but only if the recipient knows to expect them or really enjoys jump-scares.

Also, the rapid open boxes and rubber-band butterflies are available online for just a few dollars, so much less $$ than the company that ships them as Mother's Day/Graduation/birthday gifts. If anyone here decides to gift one o these, PLEASE warn the recipient before they open the box!

There is a company that advertises surprise boxes this time of year. I do not recall the name of the company that sells them, but I just saw an ad a few days ago. The ad shows colorful butterflies gently flying around and everyone smiles.

The butterflies are somewhat neat, and they really do fly around, BUT, their flight is not gentle. They are powered by rubber bands, same as those little balsa-wood airplane-shaped gliders. As soon as the box is opened, they RAPIDLY spring out in all directions, much like the gag/prank gift called, "can of snakes," or a jack-in-the-box.

To be fair, the butterflies are pretty, and they are fun to play with, but only if the recipient knows to expect them or really enjoys jump-scares.

Also, the rapid open boxes and rubber-band butterflies are available online for just a few dollars, so much less $$ than the company that ships them as Mother's Day/Graduation/birthday gifts. If anyone here decides to gift one o these, PLEASE warn the recipient before they open the box!
Wow! Yeah those sound pretty scary, especially if you're not expecting them! Thanks for the warning!

I always wondered about those gift boxes. Thank for the warning. I thought about getting dd one but I’ll pass. I don’t think she’ll like it if it pops out hard

My standard is a check for $100. If it's someone's kid that I have some sort of relationship with, then it's more. I don't believe in kitchy gifts, just not me. With cash in hand they can buy what they need, want.

... I’ve also given small umbrellas in college colors in addition ...
An umbrella is a great idea! College students walk so much more than they expect to.
... Gift cards can be a way to boost the amount you are able to gift.
For college students, you can't go wrong with food gift cards. If you know the student is going away to school, you can easily google what restaurants are within walking distance.
I have no idea what the plans are. It’s been 4 years since I’ve seen the parent of one.
I wouldn't give a graduation gift to someone I haven't seen in four years!

Other gift ideas for students:
- Yeti cup in school colors /maybe with a logo or monogram
- College sweatshirt
- Tote bag or backpack -- one of the scholarships my daughter won gave (in addition to the check) a school-colored tote bag to all the girls and a backpack to all the guys. The bags were chock-full of school supplies. She's been out of college for seven years now (can that be true?), and she still has that tote bag. Of course, it was a Lands End.

I don’t think there is any rule to follow. My daughter just graduated and money was the big thing. Most gave $25 or $50, but quite a few gave $100. None of us gave two thoughts to who gave what amount. To be honest, she was tickled just seeing the cards and notes from all the different people. The money was a bonus. It seemed people gave the amount that best fit their budget and it didn’t really have anything to do with how close they are to her or us. One person she’s never met, but works with her dad, gave her $100, just because. She’s older, kids are all independent adults, and she knew what our daughter was doing in life and wanted to support her. Our neighbor, whom we rarely socialize with, gave her $50. One of her younger friends gave her $5 and she loved that her friend wrote a sweet card and came to her party. Honestly, give what you’re comfortable giving. If anyone judges that amount, that speaks about their character, not yours.

An umbrella is a great idea! College students walk so much more than they expect to.

For college students, you can't go wrong with food gift cards. If you know the student is going away to school, you can easily google what restaurants are within walking distance.

I wouldn't give a graduation gift to someone I haven't seen in four years!

Other gift ideas for students:
- Yeti cup in school colors /maybe with a logo or monogram
- College sweatshirt
- Tote bag or backpack -- one of the scholarships my daughter won gave (in addition to the check) a school-colored tote bag to all the girls and a backpack to all the guys. The bags were chock-full of school supplies. She's been out of college for seven years now (can that be true?), and she still has that tote bag. Of course, it was a Lands End.
I don’t even know if they are going to college or what their plans are

I agree with others that cash is never a bad thing to give. How much depends on your particular budget/financial situation and perhaps how well you know the person (son/daughter of co-worker you have never met, etc.). I don't think there is such thing as a 'standard' gift amount. The problem with gift cards might be using them while at college. Will that person have a car and is that particular store anywhere near where they are going? Gift cards can also be an issue if some store happens to go out of business and then the GC becomes worthless.

With regard to any type of 'gift box' items I find you generally a paying a huge mark-up to the company who sells them and the actual items could likely be purchased separately for a lot less money. I looked into some of those last Christmas as gifts and gave up on the idea when I saw the huge price and small quantities of items included.

I don’t even know if they are going to college or what their plans are
That's pretty basic information. If I didn't know the graduate any better than that, I wouldn't feel obligated to send a gift. Being realistic, not mean.
... The problem with gift cards might be using them while at college. Will that person have a car and is that particular store anywhere near where they are going? Gift cards can also be an issue if some store happens to go out of business and then the GC becomes worthless ...
If I were going to give a gift card to a college student, it'd be food. And if I were inclined to give a gift card, I'd look at Google Maps and verify what restaurants are close to the university.
... With regard to any type of 'gift box' items I find you generally a paying a huge mark-up to the company who sells them and the actual items could likely be purchased separately for a lot less money ...
Being of a frugal nature, I totally agree that you can always make a gift box yourself for less ... but mailing that box is expensive. If you're inclined to make college gift boxes, look at Pinterest ... so many good ideas.

I was an RA in college, and we used to offer an Exam Gift Box (marketed to parents, fund raiser for us). It wasn't a bad value, but -- yeah -- you could definitely have bought the stuff yourself, even back then.

As a parent, the best "gift box" I sent to my kids was a pizza box. They went to school in a cold, snowy area, and when they lived in the dorms I'd call them on a cold, dreary Sunday afternoon. I'd have a pizza order "pulled up" on my computer, and -- once I verified they were in the room -- I'd hit "send". When I saw the pizza was nearing the dorm, I'd say, "It's been nice talking to you, but you have to go now. You have to run down to the lobby and pick up your pizza. Paid and tipped in advance." They were always thrilled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter