Graduation Gown - How do you get wrinkles out?

Zandy595

DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>The other day I f
DS just brought his cap and gown home for the ceremony tomorrow morning. It says it's made of 100% post-consumer plastic bottles. :lmao: Just took it out of the package and it's horribly wrinkled. I'm assuming I can't iron it or it will melt. Anyone know how to get the wrinkles out?

Ours was not labeled. My iron has a spray button so we sprayed it with water and ironed it on the silk setting.

One suggestion was to wet it down and then iron it underneath of a sheet. Or steam it is if you have steamer.

At my sister's graduation, all of the gowns came in plastic bags and they all had creases from being folded. Better to have matching wrinkles than the one with the melted gown. Try hanging it up overnight and see what it looks like.

low setting on your iron, takes forever!

And hang it in the bathroom with everyone who showers! it goes from bathroom to bathroom whoever is showering!

I would hang it in a bathroom and let the shower run with straight hot water to steam them out.

This is what I would do. We haven't gotten the caps & gowns yet (of course our graduation isn't until June 24th, so there's still lots of time)

My dd17 just picked up her cap and gown yesterday and wow is it wrinkled. The directions say to iron it the morning of graduation. :confused3 Right now I have it hanging up, hoping some of the wrinkles will come out - luckily I have until June 25th which is when she graduates.

I think I'm going to try hanging it in the bathroom during showers and see if that helps. I am so worried I'm going to ruin the gown if I iron it.

Watching this thread for some ideas!

Just went through two graduations, DD from college and DS from high school, in both cases the gowns were very wrinkled from packaging and hung in the bathrooms for weeks, without much luck. What did work was a spin through the dryer on medium with a wet washcloth to create serious steam, if you have a steamer or a friend with a steamer I would try that, before ironing.

I've always ironed graduation gowns. I haven't had any problems with gowns melting. I put a damp cloth on top of the gown then iron.

Use a tea towel or a pillowcase as an ironing cloth and be very careful to keep the iron moving.

I'd try the dryer with a damp towel first, and only do the iron if the dryer doesn't work (it didn't on D's gown).

100 % Downy wrinkle release ! hang up in bathroom

If that doesn't work, spray the gown with more wrinkle release, and then using a spray bottle wet the inside of the dryer, dry for 5-10 minutes.

IMO using the spray bottle on the inside of the dryer works better than a wet washcloth. It seemed like the washcloth would get tangled up in one shirt, or stick to something and would just wet that sock or pant leg, etc.

I ended up ironing my son's gown with a low setting and using a T-shirt between the iron and the gown. I also used the steam. It worked great.

I ended up ironing my son's gown with a low setting and using a T-shirt between the iron and the gown. I also used the steam. It worked great.

My mom did the same thing, only with a pillowcase. It worked on both my and my sister's graduation gowns (we graduated from two different high schools).

When my kids graduated I just took the gowns to the dry cleaners and had them steam it. The gown looked great and I didn't have to worry about it. Only cost about $5 Completely worth it!

Downey Wrinkle Release spray. Best. Invention. Ever.

100 % Downy wrinkle release ! hang up in bathroom

If that doesn't work, spray the gown with more wrinkle release, and then using a spray bottle wet the inside of the dryer, dry for 5-10 minutes.

IMO using the spray bottle on the inside of the dryer works better than a wet washcloth. It seemed like the washcloth would get tangled up in one shirt, or stick to something and would just wet that sock or pant leg, etc.

You guys beat me to it!

downy Wrinkle Release is a total game changer. I used to spend Sunday nights ironing school uniforms and my clothes for the work week. Now I hardly ever iron!

Fill a spray bottle with a mix of water and lavender oil (1 litre of water to 1 tsp of lavender) and spritz the gown from about half a foot away then leave it hanging up. The wrinkles should drop out.

Otherwise leaving it in the bathroom while everyone showers should work too.

You guys beat me to it!

downy Wrinkle Release is a total game changer. I used to spend Sunday nights ironing school uniforms and my clothes for the work week. Now I hardly ever iron!

My mother grew up in the 60's, when everything was cotton. Ironing was a hobby of hers. :laughing:

She LOVES Downy Wrinkle Release and was amazed at how well it works. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter