Grand Cal Contract @ $324 a point gone in 2 days !

There’s now 6 stripped VGC contracts on the market between 300-340. There was some direct VGC available the other day for 310, loaded, which I’d buy rather than pay for resale at those prices. I don’t mind waiting :)

Contracts are worth whatever someone is willing to pay. For things like DVC resorts, the perceived value is going to vary from person to person. I might only be willing to pay $235pp for a VGC contract whereas someone else may be willing to pay $300pp. And others would only purchase if it was under $200pp. It's all a matter of what something is "worth" to the person buying.

Also, comparing prices of DVC resorts at Disneyland vs. WDW is kind of pointless. There are only 2 DVC resorts at Disneyland...one which is very limited capacity. So of course it's going to cost more than WDW.

And again, it's all a matter of personal preference. For me, for example, I have no desire to ever own at some of the WDW DVC resorts that many people love so they are basically worth $0 to me. Do I judge what anyone else is willing to pay to own at those resorts? Nope. It's their money and they obviously see the value in them.

As for off-site vs. on-site at DLR....yes, off-site is pretty much always going to be cheaper. We always stayed on Harbor until this year and enjoyed it. Especially the price. But I did find the Grand Californian to be a better experience overall. So to me, it's worth what I paid for VGC resale ($235pp) but I wouldn't pay rack rate for it. But if other people want to pay rack rate to stay there because they think it's worth it...that's their choice and I'm not going to mock them for it.

Always a big debate in my family that we have never agreed on. My wife likes DLR better because of the compactness and ease of getting around. I weigh that against the bigger choice of parks, rides and restaurants in WDW and cannot really definitely say which is better. Bottom line is we love both. We always stay at VGC and I never feel more like I’m in a “Disney bubble” than when we have a balcony overlooking DCA and open the doors to let all the park sounds in.
Did you ever stay at a lake view at Poly or Theme park view at VGF or BWV BW view room ?

Did you ever stay at a lake view at Poly or Theme park view at VGF or BWV BW view room ?
Yes and we also enjoy staying in the Poly Bungalows. The unique thing about VGC is that you feel like you’re in the park, with the excited cries, the Silly Symphony Swings announcer, the sun flashing off the Golden Zephyr vehicles (actually into your room at the right time of year), the riders being evacuated from Goofy’s Sky School, and overlooking World of Color at night.

There’s now 6 stripped VGC contracts on the market between 300-340. There was some direct VGC available the other day for 310, loaded, which I’d buy rather than pay for resale at those prices. I don’t mind waiting :)
The direct points were probably from foreclosures and not from ROFR, so the next drop of points direct may be a while if you can find a guide to look for you. Resale is still going to be your only way in to VGC. The contracts all were posted this morning, so more people might be willing to wait out the stripped contracts, but once the offers start coming in, I could see the rest of the contracts getting accepted offers quickly.

The direct points were probably from foreclosures and not from ROFR, so the next drop of points direct may be a while if you can find a guide to look for you. Resale is still going to be your only way in to VGC. The contracts all were posted this morning, so more people might be willing to wait out the stripped contracts, but once the offers start coming in, I could see the rest of the contracts getting accepted offers quickly.
I’m in ROFR on an AUL contract so I really don’t mind waiting on a good resale or direct VGC. I did pass up one right before I put the Aulani offer in for VGC 230/pt for 250pts. My guide is keeping an eye out for VGC for me :)

The difference in the DW hotels are that they are all off property at those rates and a considerable travel time to the Parks.

Which is why I always point to why DVC for WDW will hold its price. You just can't get the access the resorts give you at WDW. Anywhere else in the world (even DL) there is normally 5-10 different hotel brands all with fairly equitable access or distance to the location.

Before VDH opened, I was waiting to buy a small VGC resale. But now with some of the direct incentives, I could be considering the following:

100 resale VGC
200 VGF direct (low dues, points can be used anywhere)
350+ AUL resale

At those rates, I could afford to try for VGC at 7 months, waitlist day by day if I needed, and take my chances at not getting the "perfect" stay. Or maybe I am just consoling myself for not buying VGC sooner. Either way, I think we are going to go with VGF because then we also have a big group of points that we can use at VGF for larger units, for the holidays, etc.

Before VDH opened, I was waiting to buy a small VGC resale. But now with some of the direct incentives, I could be considering the following:

100 resale VGC
200 VGF direct (low dues, points can be used anywhere)
350+ AUL resale

At those rates, I could afford to try for VGC at 7 months, waitlist day by day if I needed, and take my chances at not getting the "perfect" stay. Or maybe I am just consoling myself for not buying VGC sooner. Either way, I think we are going to go with VGF because then we also have a big group of points that we can use at VGF for larger units, for the holidays, etc.
Honestly, I ended up getting a fully loaded 300 pt AUL contract for 83/pp and couldn’t pass it up. Going to try for VGC at 7mo but will be ok switching to WDW or Hawaii instead :)

We’ve had some great views at WDW, from TPV at BLT for July 4th fireworks to SV at AKV to a BWV GV. I love those views, but there is something special about the VGC view over Pixar Pier. It really is just so close that it feels like you’re part of the park. Some people don’t like that because it can be loud, but it’s my favorite view. Seeing this from our balcony with an entrance into DCA just minutes away is something we cannot replicate staying at an off property hotel.

IMG_9774.jpegIMG_8196.jpeg

We’ve stayed at plenty of off property hotels before buying DVC, and I stayed at the Westin recently since it was a great deal with my credit card. But in my experience they do not compare to VGC at all. We’re lucky we got a VGC resale contract at the floor right before prices shot up. We were doing the 7 month game for the last few years with our WDW points and while successful, it’s definitely a lot more effort. I just booked our first VGC trip using our own VGC points and it was like a dream being able to book it so easily. One of my favorite things to do while staying at VGC is to book an early Tenaya spa appointment one day, and a fitness class in the park another day. Afterwards, I stop by Craftsman Grill and pick up breakfast for the rest of the family on my way up. This is not something I would do if not staying at VGC, and it really makes it feel like vacation.

Plus DL isn't even comparable to DW.
Don’t get me wrong, we love WDW and go for 2-3 weeks a year. We also go to DLR for 3-4 weeks a year, and we wouldn’t be doing that if it’s not even comparable to WDW. DLR is my favorite for seasonal ride overlays, decor, and food/drinks. Cars Land at Halloween and Christmas gets the best seasonal makeover. With little ones, it’s so much easier to get around DLR. They also love seeing the characters out and about everywhere. There are so many more reasons, but just because DLR is smaller than WDW does not mean it’s inferior. We love both and will continue going to both; we just appreciate them for different things. Yes, VGC is expensive. CA is expensive. VDH, also expensive (which we also just bought). For us, at least, it’s still well worth it.

We’ve had some great views at WDW, from TPV at BLT for July 4th fireworks to SV at AKV to a BWV GV. I love those views, but there is something special about the VGC view over Pixar Pier. It really is just so close that it feels like you’re part of the park. Some people don’t like that because it can be loud, but it’s my favorite view. Seeing this from our balcony with an entrance into DCA just minutes away is something we cannot replicate staying at an off property hotel.

View attachment 763267View attachment 763268
I second this ❤️ we’ve gotten lucky staying at some of the best rooms for views at DVC (BW view at BW, Epcot fireworks at BC, savanna view and close to lobby at AKV, accidental theme park/fireworks view at BLT) and I still think VGC is the best!
ACE6B6DC-D6B1-4D60-A434-E73DFBF86192.jpeg

What a great picture! And the new park entrance is either at the green umbrella or take a left and it’s behind the tree. It’s before the blue and white striped awning for sure. When we go for Run Disney, I’ll want to turn in early to rest but I might pop down to the pizza place for dinner. It’s almost closer than walking to Craftsman Grill!

Last December we bought one of the famous candy canes at DCA. We went back to the Paradise Pier area. My kids wanted to ride the swings (walk on, just waiting for the next cycle). My husband said, I’ll run these to the room and used the entrance near corn dog castle. He left as they went up the steps. He was back as they were coming down. We were on the first floor, so had an elevator been involved… it would have taken ever so slightly longer.

Now I wouldn't pay current VGC prices either…. But it in no way compares to the nice Motel 6 style motels across the street. I stayed at Tropicana in March. It was fine. But no way can I pop something back to the room in one swing cycle!

We always ask for 1509 (studio) or 1507 (1br). Walk out the “balcony” door, through the pool gate, through the pool restaurant, straight to ca adventure entrance. :)

Ok so it seems that everyone loves the GCV . That being said I could right now buy 500 points @ OKW for the same price 160 points @ GCV cost looking at the going resale prices. Then use those 500 points to rent a grand Villa @ GCV with the same cost in cash and points for 5 days in October as a studio for 148 points a week at the same place and price. I could probably get the GV @ VGC @ 7 months . Wouldn't you rather do that ?

Spend a night at VGC and you will see why. The location makes it feel like California Adventure is your backyard. We’d start the day early, go back to the room for lunch and a nap, perhaps swim a little, then go back in the evening when it’s cooler. The experience simply can’t be beat.

We were there this past weekend. From our room door to CA Adventure back entrance took 3 minutes by cutting through the pool. VDH is maybe a good 10 minutes additional walk to Disneyland, and 15 minutes to CA Adventure. That, and the transient tax. We asked our DVC guide if VDH makes sense if we own at VGC already. She laughed and said no… I can’t sell this to you lol.
Agree. We love it there. We have always been able get it on the 7-month window as well, probably because we only do three nights there when we visit California and then four nights on the coast. We are also flexible so getting three consecutive nights is workable for us. A great spot! Not sure we can break away from it even to try VDH when it opens...

Ok so it seems that everyone loves the GCV . That being said I could right now buy 500 points @ OKW for the same price 160 points @ GCV cost looking at the going resale prices. Then use those 500 points to rent a grand Villa @ GCV with the same cost in cash and points for 5 days in October as a studio for 148 points a week at the same place and price. I could probably get the GV @ VGC @ 7 months . Wouldn't you rather do that ?

There are a total of 2 grand villas at VGC and October is one of the most popular months at DLR. So no, not feasible at all. And then you’d be stuck with 500 points at OKW…

There are only 2 GVs at VGC, so there is no guarantee you would get what you want at 7 months. I just took a look and there are only 9 days of availability in January 2024, and also 9 days in February, both of which are beyond the 7 month point.

Nope. We're a family of 3 and really have no desire to chase our kid around a grand villa.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter