Grand CAL. How much lower will the prices drop ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Understood. But assuming there are restrictions on VDH; it'll only apply to resale. There are no current plans for future DVC direct sales to only be usable at the home resort (as far as we know)?
it's really too early to tell what Disney will do. They may even get rid of the restrictions imposed since 2019 if sales figures aren't as favorable. VDH and Poly2 will be a litmus test for Disney's restriction experiment. I haven't see anything to indicate Disney will restrict direct points to respective home resorts. That would be DVC suicide IMO.

Understood. But assuming there are restrictions on VDH; it'll only apply to resale. There are no current plans for future DVC direct sales to only be usable at the home resort (as far as we know)?
Correct. That would not benefit DVC to do that.

It could be argued they should not have admitted Riv into the "club" with the differences they created for resale but no legal challenges occurred. Even if for example a challenge still happened and it was determined it shouldn't have been done it would be more likely for DVC to remove the resale restrictions than to leave a resort out on its own IMO.

But wouldn't SSR or other (w/ longer contract) be better money spent to use elsewhere.?

Direct is usable anywhere, Resale is only available at use at original 14 locations, unless it is RIV resale then it is ONLY usable at RIV, & we can assume the same for VDH. (resale VDH will only be usable at VDH)

I’m thinking of this as a West Coast DLand focused buyer. I would never buy a WDW resort because it’s not where I usually travel.

However, if I want discounted DLand accommodations with access to every other DVC resort (including VGC and AUL for us West Coasters) then VDH fits that bill.

Also, if you wait for resale VDH then the price may be lower but you still have out of pocket hotel expenses while you wait for an acceptable resale contract to become available.

Is it worth potentially having access to only one resort given that the majority of the cost is going to be MF’s and when we don’t know how much the price will actually drop on the resale market?

I don’t know the answer, but I believe that is the question.

we don’t know how much the price will actually drop on the resale market?
As long as Disney doesn't start proliferating DVC resorts in Anaheim, I don't think the resale restrictions will matter much at VDH. And it might be 5-7 years until you start seeing resale contracts showing up in the market. That's also not accounting for a right sized contract in your UY. Pickings will be slim, hence value will remain high IMO.

As long as Disney doesn't start proliferating DVC resorts in Anaheim, I don't think the resale restrictions will matter much at VDH. And it might be 5-7 years until you start seeing resale contracts showing up in the market. That's also not accounting for a right sized contract in your UY. Pickings will be slim, hence value will remain high IMO.

I have less faith that your average American won’t get swept up in pixie dust and buy something that can’t actually afford if there is an unexpected change in life circumstances.

I have less faith that your average American won’t get swept up in pixie dust and buy something that can’t actually afford if there is an unexpected change in life circumstances.
well yeah. there's always that. but shoppers won't be able to be picky and will haveto buy whatever contracts that may become available. Still. Most on these boards probably don't have the patience to wait that long, when direct points will be on sale anytime now. I'm guessing most existing owners looking to buy VDH will do so in the next year.

Is there any data to suggest that Rivera direct sales were hurt by the resale restrictions? You think it would have and it seems like Rivera still has a ton of points available. But I have no idea what is normal in terms of DVCs selling out and if this is in line with historical rates or not. As a counter point Aulani still selling direct without the restrictions, but I think that is more due to overbuild for a stand alone resort without a park than anything else.

If Rivera is selling according to Disney's projections, I can't see them lifting any of the restrictions for VDH. Even if Rivera is struggling, they may believe VDH is different since there is limited supply at DL vs WDW. Now if VDH underperforms along with Rivera struggling, I think you could see Disney removing the restrictions, but unfortunately I don't think it will happen when VDH is released for sale.

Is there any data to suggest that Rivera direct sales were hurt by the resale restrictions? You think it would have and it seems like Rivera still has a ton of points available. But I have no idea what is normal in terms of DVCs selling out and if this is in line with historical rates or not. As a counter point Aulani still selling direct without the restrictions, but I think that is more due to overbuild for a stand alone resort without a park than anything else.

If Rivera is selling according to Disney's projections, I can't see them lifting any of the restrictions for VDH. Even if Rivera is struggling, they may believe VDH is different since there is limited supply at DL vs WDW. Now if VDH underperforms along with Rivera struggling, I think you could see Disney removing the restrictions, but unfortunately I don't think it will happen when VDH is released for sale.
The global pandemic skews normal sales trends. But overall, I think RR is doing just fine, even with the restrictions. There's nothing to indicate that Disney will reverse the restrictions. The only sticking point is there aren't any good examples after Riviera to show that the restrictions are doing good or bad for Disney. VDH will be a poor example because it's in Anaheim and the restrictions won't matter as much. Poly2 can be part of the existing association. So realistically, Riviera might be the only example of a restricted resort for a long time.

I haven't seen anything to indicate Disney will restrict direct points to respective home resorts. That would be DVC suicide IMO.
Agreed, then it wouldn't be much different than a regular timeshare & that is mainly (imo) that makes DVC special and much more valuable.

I’m thinking of this as a West Coast DLand focused buyer. I would never buy a WDW resort because it’s not where I usually travel.

However, if I want discounted DLand accommodations with access to every other DVC resort (including VGC and AUL for us West Coasters) then VDH fits that bill.

Is it worth potentially having access to only one resort given that the majority of the cost is going to be MF’s and when we don’t know how much the price will actually drop on the resale market?
Yea, true having the option vs not having any option definitely has value.

Flexibility. Most people would rather own direct points and not have to think about where they can and can't use them. I think that will be the REAL perk of owning direct going forward.
True, makes sense, i just like to see what i'm paying for exactly, compared to resale. I want to always compare (for instance, blue card perks aren't enough for me to spend $50 more pp)

Yea, I do believe there will be resale contracts available next year... now whether they pass rofr at any price is a different story. lol

True, makes sense, i just like to see what i'm paying for exactly, compared to resale. I want to always compare (for instance, blue card perks aren't enough for me to spend $50 more pp)
Most people aren't like you, or us. They see their membership more simplistically. A one time purchase, direct from Disney, with zero hassles, and flexibility. Perks are just extra that are always in flux. For us, it may sound misinformed. But to them, there really isn't anything to think about But like them, I once too was a direct purchaser without knowing anything about the resale market. I was blinded by the pixie dust and promo videos. I get it.

Yea, I do believe there will be resale contracts available next year... now whether they pass rofr at any price is a different story. lol
The first 4 years of Riviera on the resale market showed that prices remained high. Most people selling that early after buying direct were probably distressed, and couldn't afford to sell below a certain point because they were underwater. I assume the same will be true for VDH. But more so, because VDH will retain it's value more than Riviera for all the reasons already mentioned.

Most people aren't like you, or us...
But like them, I once too was a direct purchaser without knowing anything about the resale market. I was blinded by the pixie dust and promo videos. I get it.
The first 4 years of Riviera on the resale market showed that prices remained high. Most people selling that early after buying direct were probably distressed, and couldn't afford to sell below a certain point because they were underwater. I assume the same will be true for VDH. But more so, because VDH will retain it's value more than Riviera for all the reasons already mentioned.
Yea i get it too, but if someone needs out, it isn't uncommon to take a loss.
But i definitely agree, VDH should always hold a better value than RIV for ever.. RIV isn't next to any park, its just a nice place. (i could be wrong, I've never been, it's just from what i understand)

I'm not against purchasing direct, but i just want it to be worth it the extra cost & so far i'm not convinced. lol

People said the same thing about Riviera. "It will be years before there are resale contracts" In reality, it was weeks or months. Same thing will happen here.

Yea i get it too, but if someone needs out, it isn't uncommon to take a loss.
But i definitely agree, VDH should always hold a better value than RIV for ever.. RIV isn't next to any park, its just a nice place. (i could be wrong, I've never been, it's just from what i understand)

I'm not against purchasing direct, but i just want it to be worth it the extra cost & so far i'm not convinced. lol
I don't know what the situation is like now, but before VDH, guides were telling people that there is a line out the door of people on the waitlist to buy VGC direct at $315pp. That kinda tells you how a lot of people view DVC direct membership.

Riviera is a BEAUTIFUL resort and the rooms are PHENOMENAL. Compared to CCV (where I own direct) the large better appointed rooms and skyliner access to two parks blows CCV out of the water. But it's doesn't hold much water when it comes to WL theming and 11 month advantage during the holidays. Riviera also has like 7 million points as opposed to CCV with only 3 million, which makes CCV contracts more scarce than Riviera. In the end, I think unorignal tower-like resorts like Riviera and VDH, and maybe even Poly2 will be too plenty and commonplace to hold a lot of value compared to unique resorts like CCV and Grand Cal. But that's just my opinion. I'm obviously biased.

People said the same thing about Riviera. "It will be years before there are resale contracts" In reality, it was weeks or months. Same thing will happen here.
perhaps. and I never said it WOULDN'T happen. My point was more about VDH resale value. Having similar resale value as Riviera is a stretch IMO, just by the sheer lack of options in Anaheim. In Orlando, there are plenty more options than just Riviera.

Enjoying the thread. FYI I’m in the buy direct, keep it simple, and forget it crowd. We bought direct at Poly and have never stayed there. Will be buying direct at VDH mainly as we prefer DL over WDW. Will use VDH points to book there at 11 months then try and switch to VGC at 7 months. Plus, with the added VDH points we will be targeting 2 bedroom units now that our kids are young adults. Won’t be long till we have a larger group for trips. But after we add VDH, any additional points (I hope we are done), would be through resale.

190 Poly
40 BLT
150 VDH target in two contracts of 75

At least that’s the plan.

Does the point chart affect how you split it up at all.? (Like why not 3x 50), or is it just a matter of not needing to pay the extra closing costs?
Good question. Probably closing costs but I am curious to see the points chart. These VDH points are likely to out live me and my wife. Will pass on to the kids if they want them. And then they can keep or sell some off. And if they don’t want them, then we will sell off. If it just becomes my wife and I going, then we’d likely keep 75 VDH and 40 BLT. Alternate every other year between DL and WDW. DL is our first choice but my wife loves having the BLT theme park view with walking access to Magic Kingdom. And at a 10-15 minute walk it almost feels like being at Disneyland.

Last edited:
As of today, I could sell my Poly or BLT and make a little money. But not really trying to make money on this. Direct or resale, if you hold to the end the enjoyment value has hopefully been maximized but the asset value at year 49 is zero for everyone. I wonder when that cliff edge pricing will start to kick in. The 2042 resorts will see it first. Maybe 10-15 years remaining mark. Will see.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter