Grand Californian for family of 5?

missypie

<font color=red>Has an outlet for romance<br><font
I read a few years back that the Grand Californian will not guaranty a room with bunkbeds and a trundle and that sometimes, families of 5 get a room with two queens and a sleeping bag. Is this still true?

I don't know about that, but I have stayed at the grand a few times and I just call guest services and ask all my questions. They are always happy to help even if you think it's a stupid question, they are happy to help.

I remember they did put a note in the system that I request a king bed the last time I went. We have two little ones and they don't sleep in a BIG bed yet so we put one on the couch and the other in the pack and play.

Just call and ask, all they can say is ... no.

Best of luck!!!!

missypie said:
I read a few years back that the Grand Californian will not guaranty a room with bunkbeds and a trundle and that sometimes, families of 5 get a room with two queens and a sleeping bag. Is this still true?

THe three times that we have stayed there we have always gotten a room with the bed and bunkbeds. They are great and a nice size room. We have never had to ask for it.

Carla

When we went in 2001, my SIL and BIL reserved a room with bunkbeds (there were 6 people in their room) and they had no problem with getting it. And the whole reservation was for 4 rooms in a row (family reunion) and everything we asked for was provided, no probs!

You can request bunkbeds and they will certainly try to accomodate you, but I don't think they'll guarantee you'll get them.

A standard room at the GC will have either:
1 King
2 Queens
1 Queen and bunks

Funny how opinions differ though:

evilqueen71 said:
THe three times that we have stayed there we have always gotten a room with the bed and bunkbeds. They are great and a nice size room. We have never had to ask for it.

Carla

I found the rooms at the GC to be much smaller than I expected.
We felt cramped in one of the queen/bunk rooms with 2 adults and 2 kids.

I can't even imagine having 6 people in one. Yikes!
Of course with family and 4 rooms in a row maybe it wouldn't be quite so bad. I'm guessing one of the 6 was listed in another room anyway (at least on paper)

There are lots of things I like about the GC, but spacious rooms will never make the list - unless you book one of the suites for BIG bucks.

I heard you can request a Bunk room, but that doesn't mean there will also be a trundle. The sleeping bag, on the other hand, can be guaranteed :p

We were in one of the rooms with 2 queens and a daybed. We were wanting a theme park view, but were told that none of those rooms have the daybed. While it wasn't guarenteed, we were told that they would do everything possible to get us the daybed.

We just returned from the GC. A family of three. We were given a room with the bunks (with the trundle) and one queen bed. We did musical beds every night. A room with two queens and a day bed would have been better for us, though. This was a theme park view on the second floor of the main building.

We tried but after AAA talked to Disney they admitted we were not guaranteed anything but a sleeping bag for the 5th person. We were booking concierge and they still will not guarantee the 5th person a bed. We elected to not take a chance when spending that much and went with the Disneyland Hotel.

my3kids said:
We tried but after AAA talked to Disney they admitted we were not guaranteed anything but a sleeping bag for the 5th person. We were booking concierge and they still will not guarantee the 5th person a bed. We elected to not take a chance when spending that much and went with the Disneyland Hotel.

See, that is my fear. But we stayed at DLH last time, and wanted something different. Seems like for that price, they'd guaranty you beds for 5.

We stayed there last October with concierge and had 5 people. We ended up with two beds and a sleeping bag. I had requested the day bed, but did not receive it.

Wow yeah you would think for the money they could promise the day bed. Sounds like they need to have more rooms that offer this then. I would not be happy with a sleeping bag. I'm assuming then my BIL and SIL got lucky by getting the room with the bunks. I'm not sure what they would have done with 4 kids if they hadn't.

I think my BIL and SIL are used to being very cramped though, they now have 5 kids and I have no idea how they'd do a hotel room now. We don't talk to them much. Thankfully there is only 3 of us, and my DS gets a queen bed all to himself! :) Gotta be comfortable on trips like that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter