Grand Californian, hotel

Studios and lock-off 2-bedrooms (which use a studio) are the hardest. It's not impossible to book but... like _auroraborealis_ suggests... can't plan on it. We've had a friend who has been lucky with waitlist - especially if not a studio/ lock-offs.

Also can depend on when in March. Late March is spring break for most of us west coast folks.

Less than 7 months? Almost impossible. Stalking can work if you are diligent about checking multiple times a day and have point flexibility to book what comes available.

We have been to VGC for 3 stays over the past 4 years. One 4 years ago I was able to make 7 months without issue. One over a year ago, I made a 3 night stay (over a weekend) by checking daily and piecing days together. My husband & daughter decided to go to D23 this year (held in Sept) and I started looking at 7 months out and nothing and assumed we would never get it w D23 but waitlisted and it came through about 2 months prior. I feel like previous years you would see a day or two available when looking even in a 3 month window but rarely see it now and think, as others have opined, owners may be renting out reservations. Hoping when they open DVC at DL hotel it gets a bit better. Good luck and my advice is keep stalking!

I was very lucky this year and got the last studio available for Christmas and now I can't go. So bummed. From what I see here, I can't count on it again.

I know it’s not an exact science but what would be the best month to try and get a booking at VGC at 7 months out? It appears that from September out until past the New Year it’s exceptionally busy. Would the other side of the New Year be a better prospect availability wise?

Is it very hard to get the grand Californian in less than seven months in March??
In my experience, you have to be logged into the DVC site just before the day you want to start your vacation becomes available. For my time (west coast), right before midnight. Then refresh and check type of room etc and see what is available. Although I own at VGC, I do use m SSR points for bookings at VGC.

I have had success with wait listing when I start the wait list at 6 months, 2 weeks from vacations dates I want. This, of course, may not be the best plan for those traveling a long distance from CA.

Others will give better advice here, I'm sure.

Does anyone think the opening of the new DVC Tower will free up availability in VGC?

I'm hoping so. I think so. There, what 344 rooms? Or is ot 350? Never had that many DVC rooms at DL before. That should have an impact on the VGC availability. Time will tell

No. VGC is too small and the availability outside home resort has never been much
Agreed. There may be some slightly better availability right at 7 months if people are able to switch to VDH. But I think that will be short lived while it’s new and anything that frees up will get taken right away.

I also think VGC is a hot ticket for those who are renting out confirmed reservations. I’ve seen posts on social media with 10-15 different 1-2 night stays for sale. Anything thats available at 7 months will be grabbed.

We were able to get early March (next week) weekdays in a 1 bedroom without too much trouble 7 months ago. Super excited to try it out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter