Grand Californian Pause

You should be able to (in theory) use points (if they are direct / not resale) via Disney Collection for a regular hotel room at Grand Californian. And no fee!
“ A non-refundable $95 transaction fee applies per confirmed Disney Collection reservation (excluding Disneyland Resort in California).”

I thought of that but I’ll fall short with the borrowing limitations in place. There’s always another time, it’ll be a frequent trip so we’ll have another chance.

Can you not cancel online?

Also, good news is holding won't apply if you cancel before the end of the month.
No I can not cancel online. I finally got thru to ms and she said it will not be till the 15th that the rooms are available to book or cancel.

So frustrating. Wanting to cancel my week there in July to book a bday trip for my son in June. Limited availability and I can't access my points! I called too last night, and she said try in the morning. Still not working.

Someone posted on the DVC Fan page that they just got a call from a CM saying they were over booked and asked if they would move to a regular room. I questioned if they booked on April 1st with the mysterious availability. We will see what they say?!

Someone posted on the DVC Fan page that they just got a call from a CM saying they were over booked and asked if they would move to a regular room. I questioned if they booked on April 1st with the mysterious availability. We will see what they say?!
I would hope there would be some form of additional compensation, as a standard room wouldn't be an equivalent to a DVC room, especially anything larger than a studio, but even a studio isn't the same.

I have still heard nothing.

If there’s an overbooking problem, they should be telling people, not just letting us lock in our plans and flights.

There are probably quite a few people that booked when the reservations were free for all so it would take them some time to get to people. I'm guessing the list was split up between as few people as possible.

I have still heard nothing.

If there’s an overbooking problem, they should be telling people, not just letting us lock in our plans and flights.

I got my call today and I booked during the glitch window. My reservation is for October. I haven’t called back yet though I’ve read about the option to convert to a hotel stay. I have resale only points though unless they are making an exception.

I got my call today and I booked during the glitch window. My reservation is for October. I haven’t called back yet though I’ve read about the option to convert to a hotel stay. I have resale only points though unless they are making an exception.
They may be because of the mix up.

I still cant cancel or modify. And now the room I wanted at BVC that I was going to use those points for is gone.

I still cant cancel or modify. And now the room I wanted at BVC that I was going to use those points for is gone.
When you get the call from them about potentially moving you to the hotel side, make sure they know this happened and see if they can do something. There are usually a few rooms set aside for odd cases like this.

I just received a voicemail message that VGC is overbooked and to return their call to discuss options.

So I just received a second call. The CM told me which of my four VGC reservations were affected, and as it turns out it was only 1 out of 3 booked or modified on April 1. On April 1st, I booked a December and February 2022 reservation, and also modified a previously booked September VGC reservation to book another September date. But it was only the December reservation that was actually overbooked. So the CM checked current availability and offered to modify my December reservation to an available 1-bedroom villa using additional vacation points, asked whether I'd like to waitlist and/or switch to a Disney owned and operated room. It seemed like he really wanted me to set up a waitlist, but we've never stayed in the regular hotel room so we took that. He did say I did have additional time to call back and cancel the switch to the Disney owned and operated room and setup that waitlist or see what's available instead.

Last edited:
They accidentally overbooked, so they're blocking people from canceling. Brilliant strategy. :confused3

I wonder if it is because the only way to prevent booking is to block it all so someone who cancels doesn’t then have that room go back into the online system?

Just had my call. CM was very to the point, no apologies at all. Said because of an overbooking they are moving me from a studio to a standard hotel room. Asked what this meant for my points, she said nothing. Asked what if I had to cancel, she said I could cancel right now. I asked what if I had to cancel prior to 31 days like I can with vacation points and she said I still could and the points would be returned to my account. I specifically asked her if they would be returned as vacation points or reservation points and she said vacation points. I decided to keep the reservation for now but I’m worried she’s wrong about the last part. And since I’m a resale owner, I don’t normally have the option for reservation points.

Just had my call. CM was very to the point, no apologies at all. Said because of an overbooking they are moving me from a studio to a standard hotel room. Asked what this meant for my points, she said nothing. Asked what if I had to cancel, she said I could cancel right now. I asked what if I had to cancel prior to 31 days like I can with vacation points and she said I still could and the points would be returned to my account. I specifically asked her if they would be returned as vacation points or reservation points and she said vacation points. I decided to keep the reservation for now but I’m worried she’s wrong about the last part. And since I’m a resale owner, I don’t normally have the option for reservation points.

I just finished my call with DVC as well. I had booked two studios on April 1. I just thought I got lucky and that the resort had recently expanded its allotted inventory. Clearly, that was wrong. Anyway, the person I spoke with identified herself as a supervisor, and she said that my points *would* become reservation points if I accepted two standard hotel rooms in place of the studios I originally booked. I declined and asked that my reservation be canceled instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter