GRAND CALIFORNIAN ROOM VIEW HELP

Tink7474

Earning My Ears
Hey All!!

First time staying at Grand Californian and just don't know what room view to pick.
We know we do not want the Standard or Pool view.
Any suggestions??

Cant wait!!!!

Thanks!

I always book standard unless I get a better price on an upgraded room, which sometimes happens with the discount specials. The room views at GCH aren't worth the extra money IMO. We don't spend much time looking at the view, and there isn't a great view anyway in most rooms.

I would prefer to have concierge, but that's very pricey.

If you have kids, they usually like the courtyard view, where you can watch the monorail go past.

Many of the view rooms are farthest from elevators/lobby, and I prefer to be near those.

I recommend the standard room (even though you said you don’t want it). To me they are the most conveniently located rooms in the hotel. They are very close to the elevator and stairs. The outside patio is small so we don’t find the view that important. On the other side there are seating areas and great views overlooking the lobby to enjoy the entertainment.

I agree with PP that most of the "views" at GCH aren't worth the extra $$ unless there is a discount in your favor. I have never had a DTD view room but some people have complained about noise and light from them. Others enjoy the people watching from them. I usually find the slider at GCH is good at blocking outside noise.

I recommend the standard room (even though you said you don’t want it). To me they are the most conveniently located rooms in the hotel. They are very close to the elevator and stairs. The outside patio is small so we don’t find the view that important. On the other side there are seating areas and great views overlooking the lobby to enjoy the entertainment.
Just don't want OP to get surprised as not all the standard view rooms are right off the lobby. My last stay at GCH was a standard view all the way at the end of wing past DVC. There were fire exit stairs next to my room (I could go out that way but not come back in-and I did that often) that dumped out right next to the gated entry by the front driveway. My "view" was the back of Goofy's Sky School but was totally fine as there's nice trees etc there too. It directly overlooked the pathway to the new PPH entrance to DCA. Peekaboo views of Pixar Pier too. I still didn't find this room to be too far or difficult to get to but not quite as convenient as the ones closer to the lobby.

I honestly only care about room size. The location/view has been a surprise perk or disappointment.

Disliked: car port facing room. Second to last room near the PPH walkway. Tiny room. Balcony was even smaller. No extra chair or sofa. Just beds and the balcony.
Also had a garden view/partial DTD view over the Starbucks area. Room was just ok. Also small. And dark (before renovations).

In the same wing of the carport facing room, we were near Goofy’s Fly School. Room size was good. (It was still the time of bunk beds). Noise level wasn’t a bother. Well lit.

Favorite rooms were facing the CA entrance. (Free upgrade). Easy access and fun people watching. Another room was over Storytellers. Fun people watching. Good size room. Good size patio with enough privacy. Couldn’t see the fireworks. Just hear it and see it light the sky and reflect on the buildings.

We've stayed in courtyard view rooms, pool view rooms, and a park view room. Our favorite is actually the cheaper of the three, courtyard. It's very quiet, neat to see the monorail go by, and very nice out on the balcony. We stay away from standard, don't want a view of the parking lot for that price. We also really enjoy the balcony on our breaks so a good view is a must for us. Pool view can be pretty noisy with all of the music and pool parties.

To throw in another opinion I personally really enjoy the DTD view. I love people watching though and the ambience music during the holiday season is awesome

We have stayed in the Woods/Courtyard view overlooking the monorail, and Standard view overlooking the front entrance. Both of these were super quiet. I love to sit out on the balcony with coffee in the morning, or to update my plans during afternoon breaks. Next time we stay at GCH I'll go for the DTD view. At WDW I have found upgraded views worth it to experience the busy energy/people watching from the balconies.

If you aren't sensitive to noise, the DtD views are the most interesting.

If you book a "partial" DtD view, you will get a perfect view of the fire works. But these rooms are LOUD. The tram stop is right there and you will hear the horns from 7am to 1am or so.

My preference is Courtyard or Standard view at this hotel. I've had all the view types. Pool and Theme Park view were my least favorite. I hated the location of these rooms.

Courtyard is my favorite…the quietest overall and love seeing the monorail zip through.

Pool and DTD were always too loud and with the exception of ones of park view rooms that over look Paradise Bay at DCA all the park view rooms are VERY underwhelming IMO…-and those that do overlook Paradise Bay are a freakin hike and not worth the benefits of proximity at the GCH

If you want best view, upper floor Park View rooms at the PPH are the best view at the resort IMO. Sleeping with the window shade open overlooking DCA lit up at night is pretty cool

We've stayed in courtyard view rooms, pool view rooms, and a park view room. Our favorite is actually the cheaper of the three, courtyard. It's very quiet, neat to see the monorail go by, and very nice out on the balcony. We stay away from standard, don't want a view of the parking lot for that price. We also really enjoy the balcony on our breaks so a good view is a must for us. Pool view can be pretty noisy with all of the music and pool parties

Agree with this - courtyard rooms are great. Having said that, we were happy get anything for this recent trip - it was busy!

Courtyard is our favorite. My dd loves going on the balcony every day for "me" time and the courtyard rooms are quiet and have a pretty view.

The only rooms I don’t like are the ones that face Paradise/Pixar Pier Hotel.

Pool view, fun & festive! Courtyard, fine! DTD, fun! Park View, most of them are a lot of trees…can hear the park sounds and see peeks of the attractions. Our most recent stay was on the Napa Rose side, in the north forty. 😜 We loved the location as it was super quiet around us. We faced the bear.
481202AF-0D22-4659-91CA-1443B036CF59.jpeg

Pool view, fun & festive! Courtyard, fine! DTD, fun! Park View, most of them are a lot of trees…can hear the park sounds and see peeks of the attractions. Our most recent stay was on the Napa Rose side, in the north forty. 😜 We loved the location as it was super quiet around us. We faced the bear.
View attachment 712427
Ok, now THAT is a view I would pay extra for! Wowza!!!!

A couple other rm view pics from fairly recent stays. This one is from reopening April 2021. Bottom is from June.
501D9CC4-3CD2-438C-B71D-6F6A0573409E.jpeg0BD23D8B-4F5A-4445-80BD-12B83D72D185.jpeg

FWIW we once booked a partial view and a standard for the same trip.When we checked in the front desk gave us two rooms next to each other. I queried this but they said they were different categories.Seemed unlikely to me but we checked in…and of course, once we were in the rooms there was no difference.
Rang the front desk and management appeared to check it out. They agreed - no difference. The issue was the trees had grown up. Apparently they check the views once a year then assign the rooms to the different categories. In this case the trees were obscuring our view.So it‘s a dynamic thing!
The hotel was super full so no way to move.However it all ended well - they refunded us and gave us concierge for both rooms. And overall it was a great trip.

View attachment 712427
That looks amazing! We are there in a couple of weeks - which room category/number was this if I may ask?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter