Grand Californian Solo

jamesg

Earning My Ears
I've been to DL solo a few times in recent years for different race weekends. This year I'm going solo again for the Disneyland Half Marathon weekend (labor day) and on impulse I booked a room at the GCH for four nights during a recent 20% off promotion. I mainly made the reservation because I knew it wouldn't be available for long and I wanted to think it over. Now I'm wondering if a stay at GCH is something that can be really appreciated solo.

I like the idea of being closer to the start/finish line for the races (I'm doing all three events that weekend) and I know I'll spend more time in my room than most people because I like chillin' (aka: napping) after the early morning races. I don't think I'll visit Napa Rose though as it sounds like more of an intimate atmosphere than I'd be comfortable with.

Has anyone else stayed at the GCH solo? Did you find the experience worthwhile? I don't know how easy it is to claim the cost of the place is worth the experience, but did you at least feel happy with your choice to stay there?

I've stayed at GCH solo for three RunDisney races - it's awesome! You can roll out of bed, and the start corrals are right outside the door. And the resort itself is beautiful!

As far as staying solo, I don't think it's necessarily different from any other hotel solo.

Have fun at Disneyland half!! I had to defer to next year because of an injury :-(.

Being a DVC owner, local and a runDisney runner I have stayed at GC solo so many times I can't them all. When I stay at GC I enjoy the convenience to the start/finish of the races, DTD and the parks of course. Since I am a local and visit the parks often when I do races I spend the majority of my time in my room to rest, sleep and stretch before and after races. I also venture out to grab a quick meal or just order room service. Another good option to save a little $ but still stay close to the race action is Paradise Pier and the Disneyland Hotel especially if you plan on hanging out in the room mostly.

Thanks for the advice.

Since labor day weekend is so close my only choices on where to stay are the GCH or a Good Neighbor hotel I also have a reservation for. There's a significant price difference between the two and I'm currently debating between frugality and "magic". I'm not a local, but I have visited DL several times in recent years, but always for running events. So far the parks have been kind of an extra bonus to the races. I kind of feel like trying to experience more of the "magic" of the parks this time around, or as much as a 30+ year old man can on his own.

I say go with the "magic"! Sometimes it's just nice to treat yourself to something nice. :-)

Did you end up booking the hotel? I have stayed there solo while in Anaheim on a business trip. It was a great hotel, very close to all of the Disney magic. And the balconies are fantastic for sitting out, enjoying a view of the theme park or the pool and enjoying a nice meal or beverage. I was extremely happy about the hotel in the solo experience didn't detract from that at all. Plus, it is a business hotel so it also caters to the single traveler quite nicely.

I did decide to keep my reservation and stay at the GCH. I enjoyed the experience very much. My room was on the fifth floor and had a great view of Grizzly Peak. I took advantage of the proximity every day to take breaks and rest in between races. I ate at Storytellers Cafe once for dinner and while the place and the food was great I don't think I can get past feeling self-conscious while eating alone so I probably wouldn't do it again. Overall considering my more leisurely approach to touring the parks I would definitely stay there again if I have the money to spare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter