Grand Californian Super Thread

Forgive my question as I'm sure it's been asked a million times, I just couldn't find the answer in a search. Where are the VGC rooms located?

ALSO, I'm a WDW vet but this will be our first DLR visit. Does the GC have taxis waiting out front like the WDW resorts do? We've really got our hearts set on trying an In N Out burger, so we'd like to hop a taxi to make that jaunt. :) We're not renting a car as we usually do at WDW.
I do recall seeing taxis. Also maybe look into Uber & Lyft. Cheaper & cleaner- the catch is you need a smartphone & texting. Coupons are available for first timers so between you & your husband you could grab that burger for free! (Transit wise anyway!) And definitely keep to your In-N-Out plan. My heart is set on an In-N-Out burger... about every 2 weeks ;)

I do recall seeing taxis. Also maybe look into Uber & Lyft. Cheaper & cleaner- the catch is you need a smartphone & texting. Coupons are available for first timers so between you & your husband you could grab that burger for free! (Transit wise anyway!) And definitely keep to your In-N-Out plan. My heart is set on an In-N-Out burger... about every 2 weeks ;)
Oh thanks for those tips! I've never had the need to use an Uber or cab, so I'm hopelessly undereducated in what is best. I feel OLD!

Just got back from 6 days and the GC. Had a great time. I really enjoyed sitting on my balcony in the mornings and evenings. I was in room 3309, woods/courtyard view. The monorail went right past my room. It was so close I could see the people inside. I also had a view through the trees to DTD and could hear the music, etc. from DTD. I could also see some of the fireworks and hear the music for the fireworks from Disneyland. We had no water in the hotel one night, but they left bottles of water in the room. Room was clean. Housekeeping was fine. Everyone on the staff that I spoke to was very friendly and helpful. Entrance to CA was fine. There was a line every time I used it, but with only 2 people checking bags and 2 people taking tickets, that's to be expected.

I had a great trip and enjoyed the time I spent at the hotel.

Last edited:
Oh thanks for those tips! I've never had the need to use an Uber or cab, so I'm hopelessly undereducated in what is best. I feel OLD!
Definitely saw taxis at the GCH when we were there a couple weeks ago.

In another thread, someone mentioned that Uber and Lyft aren't really supposed to do the Disney hotels because of contracts the hotels have with the taxi company, but I used Uber from the GCH and the DLH without a problem. However, I can say that a taxi would most likely be quicker and more convenient. We had to wait a little over 5 minutes for our Uber to arrive both times while taxis were standing there waiting -- once we requested an XL (SUV) and there was a 15 minute wait, so we just took a taxi van that was already there instead. You probably save a couple dollars on short trips but not a huge amount.

I've been very interested in the discussions here about the GCH fifth person room accommodations (daybed vs rollaway vs sleeping bag). I called the GCH operator today to ensure that they would be able to accommodate 5 adults in our reservation of a single room, Downtown Disney view, this coming November. The lovely and friendly operator told me a few things I hadn't heard/read here before:
I asked if the 5th person bedding was a "cannot guarantee a daybed, might end up with a sleeping bag" sort of situation. She told me since we had 5 adults that we would very, very likely, 95% sure, be given a daybed room. I was surprised about this since I had read that only standard view rooms have the 2 queens+daybed config? She also explained that they now provide air mattresses with bedding instead of sleeping bags. Though I'd pass the info along. I will verify if this is accurate and provide pictures of the room after we return from our trip. Cheers!

We stayed in the Villas at Grand Californian last week. The room itself was beautiful and exactly what we needed in terms of space. But those of you going soon, just about all of the Villa wing is surrounded by scaffolding, compromising the view. Men were working on the scaffolding and using our balcony as a workspace, so weren't able to use our balconies at all. Also, we were never able to get hot water. The best we got was tepid. We often settled for "not absolutely freezing." Registration said that they would "work on it" but it never improved during our 4 night stay.

She also explained that they now provide air mattresses with bedding instead of sleeping bags. Though I'd pass the info along. I will verify if this is accurate and provide pictures of the room after we return from our trip. Cheers!

We did a trip and got the airbed...it fits perfectly between the two queen beds and worked great. Would be a much better and more comfortable option than the day bed for an adult in my experience. Those things may be good for a kid but pretty small for an adult.

They have a VERY limited supply of roll aways, but they shove the table in front of the sliding window door and it makes for VERY cramped space in what is already small room.

I was pleasantly surprised how well the air bed worked. Go with that if you wanna keep your view.

Is there enough room for a roll away or air bed in the VCG studio rooms? My mom informed me that my aunt is getting the real bed and my mom is taking the sofa bed. That leaves my daughter and I on the floor. If there is no room for this, I need to quickly figure something else out. Are the studios smaller than the regular hotel rooms?

We stayed in the Villas at Grand Californian last week. The room itself was beautiful and exactly what we needed in terms of space. But those of you going soon, just about all of the Villa wing is surrounded by scaffolding, compromising the view. Men were working on the scaffolding and using our balcony as a workspace, so weren't able to use our balconies at all. Also, we were never able to get hot water. The best we got was tepid. We often settled for "not absolutely freezing." Registration said that they would "work on it" but it never improved during our 4 night stay.
There is a warning posted on the DVC site:
Know Before You Go
Please pardon our pixie dust! In an ongoing effort to improve the quality of facilities and offerings at The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, some locations will be undergoing enhancements starting in September 2016. While we are working our magic, you may see and hear construction taking place around the Resort. We will attempt to limit any work most likely to cause a noise impact before 9:00 AM. This refurbishment is expected to be completed in late October 2016. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
While it might be acceptable to "see and hear" construction, workers on the balcony and no hot water is simply unacceptable -- you should certainly contact "member satisfaction".

Are the "enhancements" going on at the hotel as well as the DVC units? I just booked a few days at the GCH but don't want to deal with people on the balcony and no hot water at these prices (or any price).

Are the "enhancements" going on at the hotel as well as the DVC units? I just booked a few days at the GCH but don't want to deal with people on the balcony and no hot water at these prices (or any price).
Refurbishment of the entire hotel is ongoing. Over the last few months, there have been scaffolds in various areas. There have not been any negative reports about construction, so perhaps some hotel rooms are being left empty. The guest room interior refurbishment should start soon, which will replace: all furniture, carpet, wallpaper...

Refurbishment of the entire hotel is ongoing. Over the last few months, there have been scaffolds in various areas. There have not been any negative reports about construction, so perhaps some hotel rooms are being left empty. The guest room interior refurbishment should start soon, which will replace: all furniture, carpet, wallpaper...

Anyone giving odds on the chances everything will be done by April? :)

With Disney construction I know they rarely give real dates, and even if they do (like the October date for the villas), it's often unreliable.

Getting a refurbished room for our April trip sounds great. Being there during the refurb, not as great.;)

Does the concierge level call you before your trip? I'm supposed to arrive on Friday, but I haven't gotten a phone call or email from the concierge level.

I never have received a call from Concierge prior to our trip, but you can certainly call them and they can help with whatever you need.

Yes...and they have mobile ordering if you have the app. Place your order in the lobby of the Grand and it usually times out perfect to appear on the counter right when you walk in the door!
Yes and No :teacher:
There are now 2 Starbucks in DTD, one near the movie theater and the other between the GCH entrance to DTD and security.

Many thanks! We are excited excited excited about our upcoming trip! When we were there in 2012, the Starbucks in the parks had just recently opened, but I do not remember SB in DTD at all!!

When we stayed at the GCH two years ago, there was construction going on; one of the wings was being refurbished and Napa Rose was closed. While we could see the construction going on when we looked out our window to one side (we had a DCA view), the construction really never bothered us. Other than NR being closed! The wing being refurbished was closed and we didn't have any major issue with construction noise.

A closed balcony would have been upsetting, though! You shouldn't have to deal with that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter