Grand Californian Super Thread

We will be arriving the end of April for our first trip to DL and DCA and staying at the Grand California Hotel. Thank you for this thread for hotel information. I saw in one thread there is pool construction going on. Is this for an additional pool or the main pool? My granddaughter definitely wants to swim so this is important. Thank you for your help.
Karen

We just returned from our vacation. One pool and the hot tub were open, I believe that the other two pools were to reopen at the end of March. They did indicate that you could get a pass to DLH pool if you wanted to use a slide. Our kids really enjoyed the pool that was open.

Dee:)

Well looks like I have a lot of catching up to do..

My dad was admitted into the hospital 2 days ago for some blocked arteries which he had to get "stented" and haven't been on here since. He's doing fine now so I've got time back. Looks like you guys have been busy. I like the info on the room numbers. How would you guys like to see that info go on the original post do its most beneficial to others? I'm curious to see the floor plan Nonsuch is working on, how is it coming?

Great info coming up lately, keep it up guys, the more the better.

Well looks like I have a lot of catching up to do..

My dad was admitted into the hospital 2 days ago for some blocked arteries which he had to get "stented" and haven't been on here since. He's doing fine now so I've got time back. Looks like you guys have been busy. I like the info on the room numbers. How would you guys like to see that info go on the original post do its most beneficial to others? I'm curious to see the floor plan Nonsuch is working on, how is it coming?

Great info coming up lately, keep it up guys, the more the better.

Sal:
Sorry to hear about your Dad, hope all goes well.

Jack

At the risk of sounding like a total princess, how are the toiletries at the GCH? It's nice not to have to pack that stuff if they supply good quality items. How about the hairdryers...are they as bad as the ones on the Disney cruise, ie they just move your hair around.

At the risk of sounding like a total princess, how are the toiletries at the GCH? It's nice not to have to pack that stuff if they supply good quality items. How about the hairdryers...are they as bad as the ones on the Disney cruise, ie they just move your hair around.

I've been wondering this as well. Do they restock shampoos and conditioners and such daily?

I've been wondering this as well. Do they restock shampoos and conditioners and such daily?

Glad to hear your Dad is doing better :)

No, they will not restock these items..or the coffee stuff. You start with the items and then that is it..I'm not sure if they are replenished on Trash and Towel day or only on full cleaning days..anyone?

No, they will not restock these items..or the coffee stuff. You start with the items and then that is it..I'm not sure if they are replenished on Trash and Towel day or only on full cleaning days..anyone?

Are you referring to DVC or just regular room? I've never heard of regular rooms not being restocked.

A lot of getting the request for connecting rooms depends on what kinds of rooms you requested. If both rooms have 2 queens then you have a better chance of betting them connecting since something like 70% of the rooms are 2 queens.

Here is what I do to get my room requests...... First of all let whoever you book the room with know your room requests when you are booking the room... Next, think of something you would normally purchase in the parks (We always get new embroidered ears for the kiddos), then call Disney Vacation Planning and order them ahead of time and have them delivered to the room(s) before you arrive. Now be sure to let Vacation Planning know your room requests because they will have some control over the room assignments since they will be delivering stuff to your room way before you get there. :thumbsup2 Good Luck!

Duck, how long prior to your arrival did you contact them? That is a really good idea. I think I'm going to do that.

Thank you!:goodvibes

Are you referring to DVC or just regular room? I've never heard of regular rooms not being restocked.

Thats what I'm thinking. It wouldn't make sense to just give you one tiny bottle to last you however long you are supposed to be there..

Thats what I'm thinking. It wouldn't make sense to just give you one tiny bottle to last you however long you are supposed to be there..

Especially when you're paying close to $450/night. That would be the ultimate rip-off.

The hotel provides a couple bars of soap, shampoo and conditioner. My wife buy all kinds of fancy soaps, and uses the GC soaps. All items are restocked every day. My wife also uses the hair drier, so it must be OK (otherwise she would bring one from home). There is even a wall mounted vanity mirror, which is not provided in the VGC.

The 4 cup coffee maker has 1 regular and 1 decaf coffee packet. We usually tip housekeeping and also request extra regular coffee packets.

VGC has the same soaps, but are only restocked on the 4th day.
The 12 cup coffee maker has the same little coffee packets, so you must bring your own coffee and flat bottom basket filters -- the full size coffee maker and our own coffee is a big feature of VGC (we are coffee addicts).

Regular rooms are restocked daily with the toiletries.

Jack

Thanks Jack, and new towels also? (if old ones are left on the floor)

Yes you'll get new towels if you leave the used ones on the floor. This also occurred for us during evening turn down service....another reason to love the GCH.

DVC rooms...since they don't get housekeeping except once a week and just trash and towels on day 4.
Regular rooms get the whole shebang every day, turn down, chocolates, etc. The products are H2O..very nice.

Yes, there is turn down service :thumbsup2
Don't leave your dirty towels on the floor :eek:
Place dirty towels in the basket provided for that purpose ;)

DVC rooms...since they don't get housekeeping except once a week and just trash and towels on day 4.
Regular rooms get the whole shebang every day, turn down, chocolates, etc. The products are H2O..very nice.

Sweet!:cool1:
I'm glad to hear this!

This is true if DVC rooms are booked with either your own points or purchased points from another DVC owner. If you book DVC through Disney as a hotel stay however they should service the room as they do the hotel rooms. (At least that is the way at WDW). They even put the dishwasher on:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter