• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Californian Super Thread

Was told yesterday by a CM pools scheduled to open 4/22!

Thanks for the update! I sure hope they are finished by then!

Is there a post with the schedule? Or does anyone know what is under construction during the month of May?

We're home and had a great time! The new room was a bonus but we loved the resort and would definitely stay again. Here is a pic of the pool progress from the 5th floor elevator in our area! We were gone just about all day so we didn't hear much besides one time when we came back to grab a drink in the room. There was a fire alarm test two days we were there but again, didn't notice because we were in the parks. The only other construction that impacted us were a couple days they had plastic down on the floors in our hallway because there were two rooms still getting done. I didn't hear anything and could only smell drywall a couple times but not an inconvenience at all. I ran into construction workers a few times but they tried to stand against the wall and look as invisible as possible - we just thanked them for their work and said everything looked great. I can try to answer any questions to my best - I know Nonsuch has great information already above from a recent stay :)

pool.jpg

We're home and had a great time! The new room was a bonus but we loved the resort and would definitely stay again. Here is a pic of the pool progress from the 5th floor elevator in our area! We were gone just about all day so we didn't hear much besides one time when we came back to grab a drink in the room. There was a fire alarm test two days we were there but again, didn't notice because we were in the parks. The only other construction that impacted us were a couple days they had plastic down on the floors in our hallway because there were two rooms still getting done. I didn't hear anything and could only smell drywall a couple times but not an inconvenience at all. I ran into construction workers a few times but they tried to stand against the wall and look as invisible as possible - we just thanked them for their work and said everything looked great. I can try to answer any questions to my best - I know Nonsuch has great information already above from a recent stay :)

View attachment 226631
Pool lookes like it still has quite a ways to go. Especially since the plaster and water have to set for awhile.

Anyone know what % of rooms are complete? Hoping for a refurbished one in May:)

Thanks for the update!

Are there any refurbished rooms available now? I will be going next week and wondering if it would be possible to get a refurbished room. Thanks

Are there any refurbished rooms available now? I will be going next week and wondering if it would be possible to get a refurbished room. Thanks
Some have reported back they they were assigned one - though no word on the numbers completed/your chances of getting one. Good luck!

I'm looking for the "map" that shows where certain room views (non-DVC) are located, but with 219 pages I can't find it (and I've been looking!)

Can someone post a link or a pic please?

Thanks - I found that one. The one I am looking for is the one made by a disboads poster that has color-coded that map so we can see where the room categories are on the map. I think I've seen it before, but it's been a while.
Is this the (unofficial) map you are looking for?
map_gch_views_web.jpg
Standard View
Woods View
Pool View
Park View
DTD View

Premium view combines Pool and Park views.
Many former Park view rooms are obstructed by trees, and now classified as Woods or Standard.

Booked our trip for second week of June! :cool1:

Looks like (fingers crossed) pools will be done by then, if weather cooperates.

Lobby, I know will be under construction. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

Rooms, here's my question. I'm sure they will not all be renovated by our visit, but does anyone know what room categories are being completed first? Are they working their way in a pattern, or is it random? I'd really LOVE a new room.

I don't know how Disney is doing their refurb, but, generally, hotels will redo one floor wing at a time. Shut it down completely, then each trade has xxx amount of hours to get in and complete their work. When they are down to the last couple of rooms to be completed (moving furniture back in), the wing is opened up and another is shut. This is done until the renovation is completed.

I don't know how Disney is doing their refurb, but, generally, hotels will redo one floor wing at a time. Shut it down completely, then each trade has xxx amount of hours to get in and complete their work. When they are down to the last couple of rooms to be completed (moving furniture back in), the wing is opened up and another is shut. This is done until the renovation is completed.

Makes sense.

Anyone who's had a new room, what floor were you on? And what catergory of room?

Makes sense.

Anyone who's had a new room, what floor were you on? And what catergory of room?

Fantastic question! I hope you get an answer, since I'd love to know it, too.

And my question: It's been a few years since we stayed at the GCH. Do they still have the tea sandwiches and some fruits or veggies available mid-day? (In other words, is there something more substantial and healthier than goldfish crackers to snack on?)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter