• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Californian Super Thread

Standard rooms are generally the odd numbered rooms in the X101-X133 and X201-X239 (X is the floor number). They face Disneyland Dr. 101-111 are relatively close to the elevators. And I don't necessarily agree with requesting a room near the Napa elevators, because if you are coming from Disneyland or DTD, it is a longer walk. It is closer to the DCA entrance/exit.

Rooms closer to Napa elevators are generally Courtyard or Woods views, pool views, or theme park views (partial or full.)
Having a hard time envisioning all of this…so where exactly do you think we should request?
I think the only times I’ve entered the GCH was from the lobby entrance by Sephora. That seems like a good area to have a room right?

Having a hard time envisioning all of this…so where exactly do you think we should request?
I think the only times I’ve entered the GCH was from the lobby entrance by Sephora. That seems like a good area to have a room right?
Here is a pretty good map of the hotel. The beige walkway at the very top is DTD. Where the 3 benches are in the picture is approximately where you enter GCH from DTD. You can see the monorail line (with the red monorail coming in); that courtyard where the monorail travels is the Brisa courtyard and the rooms that face into it are courtyard view. The rooms that face toward DCA (you can see in on the right-hand side of the map--Grizzly Peak is labeled) are "theme park view" but on the lower floors they may be "woods view" because you mainly see trees. Pool view is pretty easy to figure out. Where that blue marker is with the star beneath it (to the left of the pool) is the lobby area. As a rough idea, the main elevators are in that general location so you can see that some of the rooms would have a long walk to the elevators. If you look at the pool courtyard, you'll see 2 knife/fork images indicating restaurants (Storytellers and Napa Rose) in the upper right above the bandaid shaped pool. In that corner between them is the entrance to a small lobby that has elevators, so rooms in that general location can utilize those (on DIS we usually refer to them as the Napa Rose elevators).
Grand-Californian-Hotel-Map.jpg

See the map below. Someone has posted a better one, but I never saved it. You have reserved a Standard room. They will generally be the rooms facing Disneyland Dr. The top of the map is DTD. The left side is Disneyland Drive.

1652053261250.png

Here is a pretty good map of the hotel. The beige walkway at the very top is DTD. Where the 3 benches are in the picture is approximately where you enter GCH from DTD. You can see the monorail line (with the red monorail coming in); that courtyard where the monorail travels is the Brisa courtyard and the rooms that face into it are courtyard view. The rooms that face toward DCA (you can see in on the right-hand side of the map--Grizzly Peak is labeled) are "theme park view" but on the lower floors they may be "woods view" because you mainly see trees. Pool view is pretty easy to figure out. Where that blue marker is with the star beneath it (to the left of the pool) is the lobby area. As a rough idea, the main elevators are in that general location so you can see that some of the rooms would have a long walk to the elevators. If you look at the pool courtyard, you'll see 2 knife/fork images indicating restaurants (Storytellers and Napa Rose) in the upper right above the bandaid shaped pool. In that corner between them is the entrance to a small lobby that has elevators, so rooms in that general location can utilize those (on DIS we usually refer to them as the Napa Rose elevators).
View attachment 667911
This is great info, t hank you! Does this map/picture show VGC?

Found the map I wanted. Sephora is about where 419 is. You would need to follow the entry into the hotel and use the elevator in the Great Hall. If you booked a standard room, they are in red.View attachment 667921
Thank you! Do you think they would be accommodating/receptive to the benefit of my husband being closest to the entrance? It’s funny because he walks the entire time we are in the parks, a lot! But when we get to the hotel, any hotel, he likes the absolute shortest walk to the room if possible.
Seems like the standard rooms are no where near where we desire to be?

The main lobby elevator is right there at the great hall. on the map it is the grid between 103 and 24 (there is an E in the grid.) Those standard rooms close to 101 would be a few steps away from the elevator.

Thank you! Do you think they would be accommodating/receptive to the benefit of my husband being closest to the entrance? It’s funny because he walks the entire time we are in the parks, a lot! But when we get to the hotel, any hotel, he likes the absolute shortest walk to the room if possible.
Seems like the standard rooms are no where near where we desire to be?
The standard rooms closest to the elevator are 101-111 or so, and they are very close. I personally usually ask for these rooms.

That said, other rooms will be an upgrade from what you have reserved, and with the hotels being pretty well sold out recently, might prove difficult. I would call 10 days out and explain your needs, and let them add the notes.

The standard rooms closest to the elevator are 101-111 or so, and they are very close. I personally usually ask for these rooms.

That said, other rooms will be an upgrade from what you have reserved, and with the hotels being pretty well sold out recently, might prove difficult. I would call 10 days out and explain your needs, and let them add the notes.
Thank you so much!

Can someone tell me the difference between Standard and Woods/Courtyard view rooms? I would think Woods/Courtyard would be better, since that's a more attractive view than the parking lot! But since it's often priced lower than Standard, I was wondering if there's some negative associated with Woods/Courtyard, like smaller room size or something? Which would you choose?

Can someone tell me the difference between Standard and Woods/Courtyard view rooms? I would think Woods/Courtyard would be better, since that's a more attractive view than the parking lot! But since it's often priced lower than Standard, I was wondering if there's some negative associated with Woods/Courtyard, like smaller room size or something? Which would you choose?
It (woods/courtyard) is considered a better room because of the view, but when DLR offers sale rates, standard rooms are usually left out so the Woods/Courtyard rooms actually end up being a bit cheaper.

The rooms themselves are exactly the same.

I personally don't care much about the view at GCH because I am rarely in the room. I am more concerned with how far I have to walk to get to the elevators.

*edited to add which view is considered a better room and then edited again because I put the wrong one, duh!

Last edited:
I like standard view and there really aren't parking lot views at this hotel. In a standard room, you'll be looking across the street to Paradise Pier and DL hotels. It's actually a nice view. The parking lot for this hotel is actually across the street. There is an attached underground garage for valet vehicles. You will look over the port cochere, which also has a nice water feature.

Woods/Courtyard means your view will be trees and the inner Courtyard where the monorail passes through. Its very quiet/peaceful, but also just a bit boring.

The rooms themselves are the same. However, room sizes at this resort do vary (as they do at DLH as well). The largest rooms have the daybed.

We've stayed in Woods/Courtyard twice now and enjoyed the views. As other's have said the rooms are the same, so if the price is lower go for it! Both of our rooms were also close to the Napa Rose elevators (once by luck, once by request). Our Woods room last time looked into DCA's Grizzly River Run area which was pretty neat (but I wouldn't want to stay in that room on nights the park is open late).

We've stayed in Woods/Courtyard twice now and enjoyed the views. As other's have said the rooms are the same, so if the price is lower go for it! Both of our rooms were also close to the Napa Rose elevators (once by luck, once by request). Our Woods room last time looked into DCA's Grizzly River Run area which was pretty neat (but I wouldn't want to stay in that room on nights the park is open late).

We're staying in a Courtyard view room and I wanted to put in a room request to be near the elevators- are the Napa Rose ones the best ones to request to be near? I just want the shortest walk all around. ;)

We're staying in a Courtyard view room and I wanted to put in a room request to be near the elevators- are the Napa Rose ones the best ones to request to be near? I just want the shortest walk all around. ;)
If you are planning to use the private entrance into DCA, yes. We tended to take one or two breaks during the day and this was convenient for us. Even when coming back from DL, we'd cut through DCA to get back to the Grand.

If you are focusing more on DL or planning to use main DCA entrance primarily, then close the lobby elevators is slightly better.

We had friends that were almost as far away from the elevators as possible and it was quite a hike.

IMO you can't go wrong either way. I'm equally happy with either because sometimes the lobby elevators are the better option--if you're going to DTD, going into DL, visiting the gift shops or Hearthstone Lounge, etc. If you are near the Napa Rose elevators, it's very simple to get to the hotel DCA entrance, Napa Rose, Storytellers, the Craftsman Bar, and the pool. I much prefer those elevators if we use the pool or jacuzzi because you don't have to schlepp through the main lobby when you're all wet.

But just to be clear, between those two elevator banks there is really not much of a walking difference if you're going from the elevators to anything in the hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter