• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Californian Super Thread

When does the Grand Californian entrance close? I read in another thread that it closes with the park, so you might have to go all the way around to the Downtown Disney entrance to the hotel. Has anyone else heard this? One of the main draws for me is that entrance so if we can't use it at park closing it may be a deciding factor.

We used it at 10:10 the other night. I would imagine it would stay open since there is a WOC show at 10:15.

And any update on daily housekeeping for non-club level guests? Thank you!!!
We just stayed June 1-4 and had daily housekeeping (non-club level). We did not have to ask for it. They emptied trash, refreshed towels, toiletries, and coffee, made beds, and spruced up overall (organized things on the bathroom vanity, wrapped our toothbrushes in wash cloths, etc).

I know someone else here asked and was told it was only club-level, so I don't know if the situation changes depending on staffing levels or if the CM they asked was just incorrect.

So, our 3 night Club Level stay was cut short by 2 nights due to Covid. We came home last night after I tested positive after a day of having a very itchy throat. I apologize in advance to anyone who is staying Club level and was in the lounge yesterday. I have terrible allergies and they always flare up at the parks, so I figured it was just that, but then started feeling lightheaded around 5pm and drove the 10 miles home to take a test. It was faintly positive, so I double masked up with an N95 and returned to get my husband and kids out of the pool and break the bad news. My husband went to the concierge desk and asked about our options if we all decided to leave, as I started packing up my things. We had debated having him stay with the kids since they all felt fine, but I felt we should all leave if they would refund us the unused nights. They were VERY helpful and allowed us to have the room until 8pm at no charge, to pack up, and refunded us the unused 2 nights. This is where booking a ROOM ONLY reservation directly through Disney helped us. She said had we booked a package or through a third party, we would be out the money.

My boys were SO sad, and I felt terrible, but we promised them we would have a do over later this summer one weekend. Had to cancel our character brunch this morning and our park reservations for today and tomorrow. We have a tradition of doing July 4th at the Grand and we will miss all the festivities today.

I will say, the staff on the concierge level went above and beyond to help us and once I saw that positive test, none of us went back in the lounge and we packed up faster than I ever have and got the heck out of there. I feel terrible that I may have exposed people. I'm pretty sure I got this Thursday at the parks when I took my boys for an impromptu visit. There was a little girl behind us in line for Space Mountain just coughing up a lung. She sounded terrible. In that moment, I was like "this is how I get Covid after avoiding it for 2 years." And here we are. So far my husband and kids still feel fine.

FWIW, we very much enjoyed the lounge offerings and up to the point when we left, my husband had solely eaten lounge food, so it was definitely substantial enough to make 3 meals a day out of. We loved the sparkling water dispenser and the endless mimosas. The staff were all very nice and made my kids some chocolate milk for breakfast yesterday. Kids loved the donut bar and I appreciated all the fresh fruit. When we rebook, we will definitely stay Club Level again, and I'm not sure we can ever go without it again.

The parks were pretty empty Saturday and yesterday, and we had no problem finding pool chairs both days around 5:30pm.

So, our 3 night Club Level stay was cut short by 2 nights due to Covid. We came home last night after I tested positive after a day of having a very itchy throat. I apologize in advance to anyone who is staying Club level and was in the lounge yesterday. I have terrible allergies and they always flare up at the parks, so I figured it was just that, but then started feeling lightheaded around 5pm and drove the 10 miles home to take a test. It was faintly positive, so I double masked up with an N95 and returned to get my husband and kids out of the pool and break the bad news. My husband went to the concierge desk and asked about our options if we all decided to leave, as I started packing up my things. We had debated having him stay with the kids since they all felt fine, but I felt we should all leave if they would refund us the unused nights. They were VERY helpful and allowed us to have the room until 8pm at no charge, to pack up, and refunded us the unused 2 nights. This is where booking a ROOM ONLY reservation directly through Disney helped us. She said had we booked a package or through a third party, we would be out the money.

My boys were SO sad, and I felt terrible, but we promised them we would have a do over later this summer one weekend. Had to cancel our character brunch this morning and our park reservations for today and tomorrow. We have a tradition of doing July 4th at the Grand and we will miss all the festivities today.

I will say, the staff on the concierge level went above and beyond to help us and once I saw that positive test, none of us went back in the lounge and we packed up faster than I ever have and got the heck out of there. I feel terrible that I may have exposed people. I'm pretty sure I got this Thursday at the parks when I took my boys for an impromptu visit. There was a little girl behind us in line for Space Mountain just coughing up a lung. She sounded terrible. In that moment, I was like "this is how I get Covid after avoiding it for 2 years." And here we are. So far my husband and kids still feel fine.

FWIW, we very much enjoyed the lounge offerings and up to the point when we left, my husband had solely eaten lounge food, so it was definitely substantial enough to make 3 meals a day out of. We loved the sparkling water dispenser and the endless mimosas. The staff were all very nice and made my kids some chocolate milk for breakfast yesterday. Kids loved the donut bar and I appreciated all the fresh fruit. When we rebook, we will definitely stay Club Level again, and I'm not sure we can ever go without it again.

The parks were pretty empty Saturday and yesterday, and we had no problem finding pool chairs both days around 5:30pm.
Oh gosh, I'm so sorry! It must have been difficult to cut your trip short. I hope your family all continue to feel great and that your bout is quick and super mild.

We have been actively avoiding Covid as I work in public health (and see the worst of everything, unfortunately), and we still haven't decided if we'll enact a family indoor masking policy for our trip late next month - when our 4 year old will FINALLY be fully vaccinated. The new variants are wowza contagious and while the vaccines protect really (really!) well against severe disease, infections definitely happen...

So glad that you're nearby and were able to be refunded! That is incredible service by Disney.
Take care!

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry! It must have been difficult to cut your trip short. I hope your family all continue to feel great and that your bout is quick and super mild.

We have been actively avoiding Covid as I work in public health (and see the worst of everything, unfortunately), and we still haven't decided if we'll enact a family indoor masking policy for our trip late next month - when our 4 year old will FINALLY be fully vaccinated. The new variants are wowza contagious and while the vaccines protect really (really!) well against severe disease, infections definitely happen...

So glad that you're nearby and were able to be refunded! That is incredible service by Disney.
Take care!
Thank you. I'm hoping for a mild case and that the rest of my family stays healthy.

I can't say enough about the way Disney handled this. They really didn't owe us anything, but their generosity will allow us to salvage our vacation at a later date. That's the Disney customer service we all know and love.

Gorgeous! Any chance fireworks can be seen from here?
Unfortunately, no. This deck faces the wrong direction. If you are staying Club level, it’s my understanding that you can see the fireworks from the Veranda, but we were in the parks during fireworks on our remaining nights so didn’t see them for myself.

Oh no!! Great timing, eh?! I'm sorry you and your family had to cut short your stay, but it sounds like it was handled well and hopefully you can go back when all is well with you and your family.

Just as an FYI, I always appreciate your posts and all of the information you provide. Feel better soon!!

Hi all! New to the board and really appreciate the wealth of knowledge that is here! After visiting Disneyland many times pre-COVID, we’re going the end of July with our two-year-old for the first time. We’re staying at GCH in a Woods-Courtyard view room and have requested a crib. Wanted to check-in here and see if anyone had any recommendations for anything else we should request at the hotel, especially with a two-year-old! Thanks!! Happy 4th!

Uuugh. Sorry! Such a bummer to cut a trip short and miss your annual festivities but you did the right thing. You’re lucky to live so close so a make up weekend won’t be too hard.

Feel well!

What’s the best room to request for a studio courtyard view (not DVC villas)?

If its not DVC, its not called a Studio.

With that room type, I recommend requesting "close to elevators." Those rooms form a large rectangle around an inner courtyard where the monorail passes through. If you don't request near the elevators, you can have a VERY long walk to your room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter