• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Californian Super Thread

I’ve sat on the floor of ballroom hallways and hung in the lobby while my daughter was at dance conventions in the hotel. We weren’t staying there…. But home is an hour away. But yeah, that’s pretty typical for moms to be there for 8 hours with a packed lunch.
You were still technically a guest of their facilities since your daughter was in a dance competition and therefore, I'm assuming, the dance company paid to use their ballroom.

What I'm talking about is people advocating for being able to come up and hang out for an extended period with no purpose at the hotel other than to sit and use their facilities.

For those in favor of lobby loitering, do you also go to other hotels that you are not staying at/paying for and hang out in their lobby? I'm surprised there are those that think hanging around a property that you are not a guest of is fine.

Like, do you go to the Westin on Katella and lay down on their couch and hang out in their chairs? Maybe have the kid take a nap before heading back to the park. They also have a beautiful lobby. It's the same concept and if you don't why? They don't know if you're not staying there is the excuse I've seen here. Just because you can do something doesn't always mean it's polite.

Why not go to Trader Sam's or Blue Bayou and just order water so you can get the experience the ambiance and band playing without paying for anything? Is it also fine to take up a table that people who are actually going to pay for a meal/drinks cannot use? Other guests don't know that you're not buying anything. By the same logic - there are plenty of other tables so no harm/no foul right?

The Westin is not a good comparison. Look at the Awahnee Hotel in Yosemite, the Beverly Hills Hotel, most lobbies in Las Vegas. Many people go to these places just to soak up the ambiance.

Blue Bayou and Trader Sam’s do not have plenty of tables. Servers lose money by people not ordering food and just sitting at their tables, so also not comparable to a hotel lobby.

BTW, I’m not advocating for free rein in the Grand Californian lobby. There have been many times I’ve wanted to sit by the fire when staying there and haven’t been able to and it would be nice if those spaces were reserved for hotel guests, but that isn’t reasonable or feasible. It’s a hotel lobby located in the middle of the Disneyland Resort. It is what it is.

Standard room vs Courtyard view? Courtyard just popped up for my stay and is $9 less a night with the sale. Tempted to book it since it would be fun to watch the monorail, but is is an ok walk to elevators etc?

The Westin is not a good comparison. Look at the Awahnee Hotel in Yosemite, the Beverly Hills Hotel, most lobbies in Las Vegas. Many people go to these places just to soak up the ambiance.

Blue Bayou and Trader Sam’s do not have plenty of tables. Servers lose money by people not ordering food and just sitting at their tables, so also not comparable to a hotel lobby.

BTW, I’m not advocating for free rein in the Grand Californian lobby. There have been many times I’ve wanted to sit by the fire when staying there and haven’t been able to and it would be nice if those spaces were reserved for hotel guests, but that isn’t reasonable or feasible. It’s a hotel lobby located in the middle of the Disneyland Resort. It is what it is.
I was more just trying to see how far people are willing to take advantage. Why stop at the GCH?

And agreed- there are not plenty of tables available at the Blue Bayou and Trader Sam's, similar to how there are not a lot of chairs in front of the fireplace or places to sit in the lobby. That was the point I was trying to make.

It is just frustrating to have stayed at the GCH 5+ times and have only been able to sit at the fireplace inside once later at night because people camp out in there. Then to come on and see posts saying it's fine to take advantage of facilities they are not paying for because no one knows whether someone is a guest or not just doesn't sit right. It seems to be the way the world is going now, though, whatever you can take advantage of or get for free is fair game. I just wish it wasn't that way.

Standard room vs Courtyard view? Courtyard just popped up for my stay and is $9 less a night with the sale. Tempted to book it since it would be fun to watch the monorail, but is is an ok walk to elevators etc?

It depends. Some courtyard rooms are close to the elevator and some are quite a long walk. I do love the Courtyard views, so I wouod upgrade for that price difference.

I've seen maps of the hotel rooms with numbers and whatnot. But is there a map or anything that shows exactly which rooms are considered courtyard view vs. pool etc.? I mean, maybe it's obvious but I'm not quite sure.

It depends. Some courtyard rooms are close to the elevator and some are quite a long walk. I do love the Courtyard views, so I wouod upgrade for that price difference.
Thanks! I did book it, I've always thought those rooms look nice. I guess I can just call and ask to be near the elevator, even though I know they won't guarantee it. I seem to remember people saying the Napa Rose elevator is a good area to request.

I've seen maps of the hotel rooms with numbers and whatnot. But is there a map or anything that shows exactly which rooms are considered courtyard view vs. pool etc.? I mean, maybe it's obvious but I'm not quite sure.
I know there's one somewhere, but I couldn't find it. That would come in handy.

I think you can expect upper floors facing into DCA, either in the wings on the Napa Rose side, or the smaller wing next to Goofy's Sky School. Partial means you can't see the entire Park, and it's likely filtered by trees in some directions.

Sorry, I don't know which user to credit for this map. Green areas... Edit: thank you @Nonsuch !

View attachment 603728
Replying/bumping this post for @ClaraOswald

This map was made by @Nonsuch

I believe yellow is DtD, brown is courtyard, green is theme park, blue is pool and red is standard (but please correct me, @Nonsuch if I'm incorrect!)

Attachments

• GCH Room Categories Red Standard Brown Woods Blue Pool Green Park Yellow DTD.jpg
    GCH Room Categories Red Standard Brown Woods Blue Pool Green Park Yellow DTD.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 63
Thanks! I did book it, I've always thought those rooms look nice. I guess I can just call and ask to be near the elevator, even though I know they won't guarantee it. I seem to remember people saying the Napa Rose elevator is a good area to request.

Well, I wouldn't specifically request that elevator because there are Courtyard rooms located much closer to the lobby elevator. That elevator is good for the pool view and some theme park view rooms.

I'm realizing that they actually gave us "theme park" when we paid for standard last month. Though we were on 2nd floor on the end so we couldn't see much. We had just asked for somewhere quiet.

I'm realizing that they actually gave us "theme park" when we paid for standard last month. Though we were on 2nd floor on the end so we couldn't see much. We had just asked for somewhere quiet.
We have been given a theme park view for a standard view as well. It was overlooking Goofy's Sky School. I was excited for the view, but the walk wasn't so great!

The walk was a bit long but we're hoping to be VGC owner's soon so I guess it gave me a good idea of the walk.
Remember that there is now the entry that goes from the VGC area into the Pixar Pier--supposedly for Paradise Pier guests, but from what I've heard they aren't enforcing it to only Paradise Pier guests.

Remember that there is now the entry that goes from the VGC area into the Pixar Pier--supposedly for Paradise Pier guests, but from what I've heard they aren't enforcing it to only Paradise Pier guests.

Yeah, I've read that too. We didn't know when we were there so we didn't try it out. But definitely will next time!

Well, I wouldn't specifically request that elevator because there are Courtyard rooms located much closer to the lobby elevator. That elevator is good for the pool view and some theme park view rooms.
Thanks. Maybe I'll just ask for close to the lobby elevator, then.

I like that they're trying to cut down on the loitering, it's gotten kind of ridiculous how many people camp out for extended periods of time. But I don't think monetizing the lobby space is the correct way to go about it. They should require a room key for the seated areas of the lobby. Non GCH guests can still come in and look around, but the lounging areas should be reserved for those staying at the GCH only.
I agree with you. One thought, there are couches/lounge area by the front entrance on the 3rd floor. There is a desk where Club 33 reservations are made. (That is where I like to relax during the day. Saw Tony Baxter there once.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter