Grand Californian Super Thread

Last year I was able to make reservations at 4 AM. I don't know if I could have done it earlier because I didn't look! I was just going to practice before actually booking and discovered the reservations were open for me already that day. The next day they weren't, so I don't know how the system works.

A couple of days ago I was able to make a reservation at 3:15 Pacific. But this morning nothing until 6 Pacific precisely. Frustrating!

Are you guys talking about regular hotel room reservations or DVC ones? I know someone asked about studios and I assumed those were just DVC, right? Because the system won't let you reserve those before 8am Eastern time (5am pacific.)

I was talking about dining reservations for our trip that we’re staying at GCH. I wanted to see if there was any early access with an on-site hotel reservation. One day there seemed to be, another day not.

Disney likes to keep us guessing :upsidedow. Maybe they like to keep it inconsistent so people don't all hit the reservation site at once?

I was talking about dining reservations for our trip that we’re staying at GCH. I wanted to see if there was any early access with an on-site hotel reservation. One day there seemed to be, another day not.

Oooh...ha! I didn't realize that. Probably because I tend to skim posts. And because we literally never make dining reservations and just eat quick service.

Does anyone know if connecting rooms usually the same type 2 queens/2 queens or is there a chance of getting 1 king and 2 queens or even 2 kings & daybeds. Anyone recommend a certain room type of getting connecting with a King in at least one?

Thinking of possibly adding a couple days to the Christmas trip and swap over from the DLH to GCH for it. Also would like to try it out for our Spring trip if not. We were original going to do the 1 bedroom suite but it seems like the 2 rooms is a better idea. If we were in a totally different part of a hotel from each other it wouldn't be terrible but would prefer not to be because the kids will be in the 1 room & will be 15 & 5.

What are the odds of getting a studio for two nights at 7 months?
We got 5 nights in a studio at 7 months out for mid-August. We were very lucky. I was checking everyday up until the date I could book and was on there the minute it opened. So it's definitely possible, it really depends on your dates.

Does anyone know if connecting rooms usually the same type 2 queens/2 queens or is there a chance of getting 1 king and 2 queens or even 2 kings & daybeds. Anyone recommend a certain room type of getting connecting with a King in at least one?

Thinking of possibly adding a couple days to the Christmas trip and swap over from the DLH to GCH for it. Also would like to try it out for our Spring trip if not. We were original going to do the 1 bedroom suite but it seems like the 2 rooms is a better idea. If we were in a totally different part of a hotel from each other it wouldn't be terrible but would prefer not to be because the kids will be in the 1 room & will be 15 & 5.
If you do two rooms, I think you have to list an adult (18) as the primary guest on each room, and they have to be different people. You could put your husband on the other room, and I don’t think they would notice if your kids were in one and you and husband in the other, but I think that is the rule. We just got back from GCH Monday. We booked 2 rooms, our daughters and nieces in one (two of them are 18) and DH and I in the other. We requested a King for one and at least 2 Qs in the other (connecting was ideal but not critical since the kids were 18, 18, 15, 15). We surprisingly got a King with day bed and sleeper chair, connected to 2Qs and a day bed. That was about as ideal as we could get. When we normally go with just the 4 of us and get one room, I always make only one request which is King with day bed and sleeper chair. Even with requesting it ahead of time and then begging at check in, we only get that about 50% of the time or less. They have always given us a 2Qs with a day bed (not just 2Qs) if the King room was not available.

I hate that you pay so much (it was $2000/night with taxes for the two rooms we just rented) and you can’t guarantee your bedding like you can at any Hyatt House across the country for far, far less money. So be prepared to take what they give you, unfortunately. Even with a suite, the bedding is not a guarantee.

If you do two rooms, I think you have to list an adult (18) as the primary guest on each room, and they have to be different people. You could put your husband on the other room, and I don’t think they would notice if your kids were in one and you and husband in the other, but I think that is the rule. We just got back from GCH Monday. We booked 2 rooms, our daughters and nieces in one (two of them are 18) and DH and I in the other. We requested a King for one and at least 2 Qs in the other (connecting was ideal but not critical since the kids were 18, 18, 15, 15). We surprisingly got a King with day bed and sleeper chair, connected to 2Qs and a day bed. That was about as ideal as we could get. When we normally go with just the 4 of us and get one room, I always make only one request which is King with day bed and sleeper chair. Even with requesting it ahead of time and then begging at check in, we only get that about 50% of the time or less. They have always given us a 2Qs with a day bed (not just 2Qs) if the King room was not available.

I hate that you pay so much (it was $2000/night with taxes for the two rooms we just rented) and you can’t guarantee your bedding like you can at any Hyatt House across the country for far, far less money. So be prepared to take what they give you, unfortunately. Even with a suite, the bedding is not a guarantee.
This is something they also really bothers(maybe more than it should!) me for the price I don’t think being able to chose bedding for is too much to ask. I have never complained about any ‘Disney tax’ but this is one thing that has always irked me :p

That is what we were going to do was my husband was just going to to make a reservation for 2 rooms and him in one and me & 2 kids in the other. My luck we will be on opposite ends of the hotel! We really want a king bed in at least one room. I am really hoping for one in the 2 bedroom family suite at DLH.

There was a way to ‘get’ a club level room or even an other with the daybed I would consider doing that possibly. It might be hard to go from 2 bedrooms to 1 but it would be only for the the end of trip for 2/3 days.

My husband and would like some privacy. Another thing is our 5 yr old is one of those that actually loves to sleep with others 😂 but is a terror to sleep with — but she sleeps well LOL

Are the rooms at the Grand cramped for a family of 4? I'd like to get 2 room or a suite, but it might just be too expensive. My kids are 17 and 13, and both are as tall as adults. I'm wondering if we'll be tripping over each other in just 1 room!

Are the rooms at the Grand cramped for a family of 4? I'd like to get 2 room or a suite, but it might just be too expensive. My kids are 17 and 13, and both are as tall as adults. I'm wondering if we'll be tripping over each other in just 1 room!
Are your kids tall? If you do a room with a daybed it might make it feel a bit less cramped than two queens. I think I saw that others felt comfortable in it if they were 5'6 or shorter.

The rooms are definitely on the smaller side (at least from what we are used to), but I think it would be fine for 4 people. They have double sinks, so it was nice that two people could get ready at the same time, just not much counter space but not so much of an issue if you don't bring a bunch of makeup/hair dryer/curler/random stuff like I always do lol

To get ready, the only private space is in the shower/toilet area with the sliding door. But, if you are good about rotating shower/getting dressed it can work fine.

There are so many pros/cons with the GCH, but I think you could make it work with just one room. Two or a suite would definitely add up quickly, I think I would rather just take two trips with the savings from just getting one room lol!

Another nice thing is that suitcases can go underneath the beds as there is storage space under there. We thought that was pretty cool.

Not at all. We stayed with 3 adults and 1 teen and never felt cramped. We had 2 queens and a couch that converted.

Not at all. We stayed with 3 adults and 1 teen and never felt cramped. We had 2 queens and a couch that converted.
Are your kids tall? If you do a room with a daybed it might make it feel a bit less cramped than two queens. I think I saw that others felt comfortable in it if they were 5'6 or shorter.

The rooms are definitely on the smaller side (at least from what we are used to), but I think it would be fine for 4 people. They have double sinks, so it was nice that two people could get ready at the same time, just not much counter space but not so much of an issue if you don't bring a bunch of makeup/hair dryer/curler/random stuff like I always do lol

To get ready, the only private space is in the shower/toilet area with the sliding door. But, if you are good about rotating shower/getting dressed it can work fine.

There are so many pros/cons with the GCH, but I think you could make it work with just one room. Two or a suite would definitely add up quickly, I think I would rather just take two trips with the savings from just getting one room lol!

Another nice thing is that suitcases can go underneath the beds as there is storage space under there. We thought that was pretty cool.
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like we'd be ok in one room, especially if there's a balcony for a little extra space. I like the idea of storing luggage under the bed!

My kids are 6'1 and 5'4. Hopefully we'd get the room with a daybed. My 17 yo loves the daybeds at DLH even though he's technically too tall for them lol

This was something I was worried about but our kids are 5 & 15(both also very tall husband is 6'6" but I am only 5'4") for me it was more so our 5 yr old daughter is not enjoyable to sleep with LOL She sleeps very well but the other person doesn't! Our son has said he wouldn't mind, but he also is a kid just doesn't complain about anything. We are staying in a 2 bedroom family at DLH but really considered splitting the visit at GCH. I had originally planned to stay in a 1 bedroom suite GCH but then looked at doing 2 rooms but really add up to be as much as the 1 bedroom or a little bit less if you did 2 standard rooms. If you do a 1 bedroom I would put a phantom 3 y/o kid on the reservation to make sure you get 2 queens and then you will also have the sectional pull out. For us it was more so because my husband & I really wanted some privacy. I just can not justify the price of the 2 bedroom at GCH, but the price we are paying for it at DLH I feel OK with.

But really with all the said 1 room is more than enough(for both of us) if we are being honest! Even if we are did the whole trip in the 1 room I don't think either of our families would feel like our vacation sucked. When I was thinking about splitting or just doing GCH I had considered doing Club Level to give some extra space. If we were only doing 2-3 days I wouldn't probably be thinking over thinking it as much. Because we are doing 5-6 days and plan to do a more relaxed trip and not doing rope drop to close is why I was thinking so much.

This was something I was worried about but our kids are 5 & 15(both also very tall husband is 6'6" but I am only 5'4") for me it was more so our 5 yr old daughter is not enjoyable to sleep with LOL She sleeps very well but the other person doesn't! Our son has said he wouldn't mind, but he also is a kid just doesn't complain about anything. We are staying in a 2 bedroom family at DLH but really considered splitting the visit at GCH. I had originally planned to stay in a 1 bedroom suite GCH but then looked at doing 2 rooms but really add up to be as much as the 1 bedroom or a little bit less if you did 2 standard rooms. If you do a 1 bedroom I would put a phantom 3 y/o kid on the reservation to make sure you get 2 queens and then you will also have the sectional pull out. For us it was more so because my husband & I really wanted some privacy. I just can not justify the price of the 2 bedroom at GCH, but the price we are paying for it at DLH I feel OK with.

But really with all the said 1 room is more than enough(for both of us) if we are being honest! Even if we are did the whole trip in the 1 room I don't think either of our families would feel like our vacation sucked. When I was thinking about splitting or just doing GCH I had considered doing Club Level to give some extra space. If we were only doing 2-3 days I wouldn't probably be thinking over thinking it as much. Because we are doing 5-6 days and plan to do a more relaxed trip and not doing rope drop to close is why I was thinking so much.
I'd love to add on club level if we're in just 1 room. I'm hoping for a good fall sale.

We were in the 2 bedroom family suite at DLH last year. Very spacious! We really want to try the Grand this time, though.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like we'd be ok in one room, especially if there's a balcony for a little extra space. I like the idea of storing luggage under the bed!

My kids are 6'1 and 5'4. Hopefully we'd get the room with a daybed. My 17 yo loves the daybeds at DLH even though he's technically too tall for them lol
Our girls are 5’9” and 5’7” and we love the King with chair bed and day bed. We also do fine in 2 Q’s with a day bed. It is so much more to book 2 rooms or a suite. With 2 rooms, you would have more bathrooms, but for us, it is not worth double the price. Our 5’9” daughter is a rower and she sleeps great on the chair bed or the day bed. No problems.

We just had 2 connecting rooms at the GCH last week with our DDs and our two nieces (same ages as our DD’s, 18 and 16). That was really nice to have the extra bathroom, but if it is just the 4 of us, we are just fine in one room. We are at the parks most of the time, so it is fine.

I'd love to add on club level if we're in just 1 room. I'm hoping for a good fall sale.

We were in the 2 bedroom family suite at DLH last year. Very spacious! We really want to try the Grand this time, though.
We have our rooms booked but I would love a Fall sale also but was thinking for the time we are going 12/10-12/16 it probably wont include that time. Do you think December will have deals at all?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter