Grand Californian Super Thread

I'm just waiting for the Disneyland hotels dates to open up and we'll be booking for the beginning of August. WDW made us feel like we lost the magic, but DL has restored our faith in the Disney brand.
I prefer Disneyland. I live in New York - Long Island and I prefer DL over WDW any day. I was there from August 9 to August 2023 good time to go low to moderate crowds. Early August is a good time to go. June through August is a good time to visit too.

Thanks for the detailed report! It sounds like a wonderful trip. I'm impressed you can wake up that early on vacation lol. Seems like it was worth it, you got so much done during EE. So cool that you were first in line for Peter Pan!

What time did you order breakfast? I had no idea it was available so early.

Did you have any favorite rides or attractions?

Any tips for staying at GCH? I'm definitely staying there at some point this year and I can't wait!
My best GCH advice is book very early. We are going in October. I just went to book last week, and all rooms were sold out except pool view. I booked it, and then next day, every room was sold out. Now the Acadia 2 bedroom suite is the only thing available at $6600/night!! I book as soon as I think we will be going; if any discounts come out, you can try to add them later. But in 2021, we had a last minute change on our October trip from WDW to DLR. I could not get the GCH despite trying several times per day for 2 weeks. So we had to stay at the DLH. It was very nice, but I really love the GCH! So book early!!!

Thanks for the detailed report! It sounds like a wonderful trip. I'm impressed you can wake up that early on vacation lol. Seems like it was worth it, you got so much done during EE. So cool that you were first in line for Peter Pan!

What time did you order breakfast? I had no idea it was available so early.

Did you have any favorite rides or attractions?

Any tips for staying at GCH? I'm definitely staying there at some point this year and I can't wait!
I ordered room service for 5Am to 5PM delivery. I called the night before.
I definitely would get a Woods Courtyard Room view - very quiet.. I was very close to Main lobby/Grand Hall elevators and Napa Rose elevators. All the rooms must be good at GCH.
I love Haunted Mansion, Alice, Matterhorn, Pirates and Mickey and Minnie Runaway Railway!

My best GCH advice is book very early. We are going in October. I just went to book last week, and all rooms were sold out except pool view. I booked it, and then next day, every room was sold out. Now the Acadia 2 bedroom suite is the only thing available at $6600/night!! I book as soon as I think we will be going; if any discounts come out, you can try to add them later. But in 2021, we had a last minute change on our October trip from WDW to DLR. I could not get the GCH despite trying several times per day for 2 weeks. So we had to stay at the DLH. It was very nice, but I really love the GCH! So book early!!!
Agreed. Book early. I booked in late January 2023 for my trip from August 9th to 16th at GCH with Woods Courtyard View. When the summer sale hot in late June, a lot of rooms for August were gone by then and the rest gobbled up because of the sale!

I'm just waiting for the Disneyland hotels dates to open up and we'll be booking for the beginning of August. WDW made us feel like we lost the magic, but DL has restored our faith in the Disney brand.

Can I ask why WDW made you feel like you lost the magic? We're going there in January after not going for over 10 years so that makes me nervous. Ha!

Can I ask why WDW made you feel like you lost the magic? We're going there in January after not going for over 10 years so that makes me nervous. Ha!
Don't be nervous you'll have a great time. We just had a bad experience last August and my wife and I both said we weren't feeling the same about Disney anymore. I really don't want to go into it, but WDW is great.

My dream has always been to see the park that Walt built so sitting by the fire on a cold February day this year I said to the wife let's go to DL. So I booked the GCH and our flights and park tickets and waited for the next 5 months to go and we weren't disappointed. We loved DL so much that even from Rhode Island we'd rather take a 6 hr flight to DL than a 2:45 hr flight to WDW. We didn't feel rushed at DL and the summer weather is so much better.

Clara, you will have a great time at WDW don't go by what we feel just enjoy your trip and have fun.

I remember reading somewhere (and now I can’t find it) that woods view rooms at the grand Californian are a good location? I could have sworn I saw a map of the rooms locations but I can’t seem to find it now with a Google search. Can anyone confirm if they are good? Or should i just do a standard view?

We are flying to Kauai and staying at the Grand Hyatt there after our Disneyland stay so I don’t really want to pay more for a view on this leg of the trip with the amount we are paying there 😂

I remember reading somewhere (and now I can’t find it) that woods view rooms at the grand Californian are a good location? I could have sworn I saw a map of the rooms locations but I can’t seem to find it now with a Google search. Can anyone confirm if they are good? Or should i just do a standard view?

We are flying to Kauai and staying at the Grand Hyatt there after our Disneyland stay so I don’t really want to pay more for a view on this leg of the trip with the amount we are paying there 😂
Someone reposted the room location map literally one page back.

Have a great time at the GH Kauai it’s my favorite hotel we’ve ever been to.

Hi I have used search function, I swear. Are there any standard rooms that are slightly better than average? I understand they are all bad, my last one was 3127. Roof top. Some of these views are so bad, I feel like they should install screens like they do on the cruise ships, pretend windows, haha. (joking-I understand about emergency egress requirements). I am glad to have the resort's location and amenities, just wondering if there was anything to hope for.

Hi I have used search function, I swear. Are there any standard rooms that are slightly better than average? I understand they are all bad, my last one was 3127. Roof top. Some of these views are so bad, I feel like they should install screens like they do on the cruise ships, pretend windows, haha. (joking-I understand about emergency egress requirements). I am glad to have the resort's location and amenities, just wondering if there was anything to hope for.
I nearly always book a standard room. I make the request of being near an elevator, preferably overlooking the lobby. I have never been disappointed--I'm either near the Napa Rose or main elevators or they upgrade me to something that fits my request. The only time I got a room I disliked was when I booked a Woods/Courtyard view and was way, way, way down hallways from the nearest elevator. I learned a lesson from that experience! Honestly, I don't care much about the view, but I don't want to walk a mile to get out of the hotel.

We were there at the end of July and had a standard view room on the 5th floor. We loved the view. We were to the right of the GCH entrance and could see people arriving and leaving, and we could see the Pixar Pier Hotel and the DLH plus we could see the work going on, on the DTD expansion. We loved it.

Last time we stayed at the GCH I think we were on the 3rd floor in a standard room off of the lobby

I had requested a high floor but that’s as high as they could place us.
We love the location though, easy to get off of the elevators and our room was off of the corner of the lobby.
Are the rooms near the napa rose elevator all woods/courtyard?

Is it technically easier to be near the lobby or the napa rose elevators for quickest access to the parks?

Last time we stayed at the GCH I think we were on the 3rd floor in a standard room off of the lobby

We love the location though, easy to get off of the elevators and our room was off of the corner of the lobby.

Is it technically easier to be near the lobby or the napa rose elevators for quickest access to the parks?
There are pool view, woods/courtyard, and I think theme park view rooms near the Napa Rose elevators. I'm not sure now what is considered woods/courtyard as opposed to lower level theme park view. It used to be that the rooms on the higher floors in the same wing were theme park while the lower were Woods because of the view being blocked by trees, so you might be in exactly the same spot but the higher floor room would be a higher category than a lower floor.

The 2 elevator banks are about equal as far as access to the parks, with the lobby elevators maybe a little faster for the DTD entrance and Napa Rose faster for the DCA entrance. They're both great locations. Note: the Napa Rose elevator bank is much smaller than the main lobby elevator bank. That doesn't seem to make too much difference in wait time as far fewer people use the Napa Rose elevators.

There isn't an official map of room category locations but twodogs posted a color-coded map and the partial key on the previous page (400) so you might check that out, or maybe twodogs will give you a better answer than I can!

There are pool view, woods/courtyard, and I think theme park view rooms near the Napa Rose elevators. I'm not sure now what is considered woods/courtyard as opposed to lower level theme park view. It used to be that the rooms on the higher floors in the same wing were theme park while the lower were Woods because of the view being blocked by trees, so you might be in exactly the same spot but the higher floor room would be a higher category than a lower floor.

The 2 elevator banks are about equal as far as access to the parks, with the lobby elevators maybe a little faster for the DTD entrance and Napa Rose faster for the DCA entrance. They're both great locations. Note: the Napa Rose elevator bank is much smaller than the main lobby elevator bank. That doesn't seem to make too much difference in wait time as far fewer people use the Napa Rose elevators.

There isn't an official map of room category locations but twodogs posted a color-coded map and the partial key on the previous page (400) so you might check that out, or maybe twodogs will give you a better answer than I can!
I can't take any credit for the map's creation, but I have reposted it since it is very helpful for me. Here is the key:
1693858171337.png

Now I think the green rooms are called "partial view" not "theme park view" due to taller trees. "Premium view" is only now used in the Club Level category (as well as "standard view" with Club Level).

The Napa Rose elevator is the one marked "E" in the corner of the pool view (blue) rooms. So near that elevator there are pool, woods/courtyard and partial view rooms.

The Napa Rose elevator is about 20 steps from the DCA entrance, so it is much closer to DCA than the main elevators. From NR elevator, you have to walk past Storytellers, into the hotel and past the gift shop, then along by the normal elevators, to the DTD exit. The main elevators are thus closer to the DTD entrance than the NR elevators.

Maybe easier to see that on this other map someone else posted:
1693858712623.png

Here's a picture of the 3rd floor lobby:
View attachment 784482
Yes, the desk is (center left in picture) is where people can make ressies for Club 33. (In 2019 I saw Mr Baxter walk up to the desk and make ressies.) Saw Dan Reynolds and then wife Aja Volkman the same time, didn't bat an eye, but when I saw Mr Tony Baxter, I snuck a pic and immediately sent it to my Disney friend in WA who would understand my excitement!) LOL This is a nice hideway spot to wait when they are cleaning your room and you need a nap!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter