Grand Californian Super Thread

I've been coming across posts from different folks about fire alarms and evacuation in the early morning at Grand Californian. Curious how common this is now --- has anyone here experienced fire alarm / evacuation in 2023?
I remember a stay at the GCH in November 2005 where there was a fire alarm in the evening on one day, but I've stayed there 9 times since then (some at GCH and some at VGC) and no fire alarms.

I'm getting ready to book for Dapper Days, and you can only choose a standard view.

I was going to put these requests in, but does this room exist?

Quiet
Near Napa Rose Elevators
Club level upgrade if possible
2 queens and a daybed

I'm not sure if my requests are canceling each other out, if you know what I mean.

If I could only choose 2, it would be a quiet room with 2 queens and a daybed. I don't really care about the view, but don't want to end up super far away from elevators and/or the entrance.

I'm getting ready to book for Dapper Days, and you can only choose a standard view.

I was going to put these requests in, but does this room exist?

Quiet
Near Napa Rose Elevators
Club level upgrade if possible
2 queens and a daybed

I'm not sure if my requests are canceling each other out, if you know what I mean.

If I could only choose 2, it would be a quiet room with 2 queens and a daybed. I don't really care about the view, but don't want to end up super far away from elevators and/or the entrance.
I unfortunately don't have an answer to your question... but I have another question you may be able to help with - do we call in to make room requests? January will be my family's first time staying at the GCH.

I'd also like to see if I can request a room near the Napa Rose Elevators based on all the comments I've read.

I unfortunately don't have an answer to your question... but I have another question you may be able to help with - do we call in to make room requests? January will be my family's first time staying at the GCH.

I'd also like to see if I can request a room near the Napa Rose Elevators based on all the comments I've read.
Yes, you can call the hotel reservation line and they'll make a note of your request. I've requested rooms at DLH in the past and the CMs always helpful.

(714) 956-6425

Yes, you can request all of those but odds are you won't get everything. I go with the most important and then mention my "wish list" things. For me, that's close to an elevator bank and the main lobby, with my wish list sometimes including a room on the 3rd floor next to the upstairs lobby. I don't really care about the view so much.

Yes, you can request all of those but odds are you won't get everything. I go with the most important and then mention my "wish list" things. For me, that's close to an elevator bank and the main lobby, with my wish list sometimes including a room on the 3rd floor next to the upstairs lobby. I don't really care about the view so much.
I guess it's worth a shot! I asked for a day bed with 2 queens, and a room near one of the elevators.

Yes, you can call the hotel reservation line and they'll make a note of your request. I've requested rooms at DLH in the past and the CMs always helpful.

(714) 956-6425

Thank you! Just got done and that had to be one of the most delightful calls I've had with a customer service rep. So helpful, knowledgeable, and nice.

Not trying to exaggerate... I'm someone who gets uncomfortable making requests or thinking I may be inconveniencing someone. The CM made me feel super comfortable with the whole process. It got me even more excited for our upcoming vacation!

Thank you! Just got done and that had to be one of the most delightful calls I've had with a customer service rep. So helpful, knowledgeable, and nice.

Not trying to exaggerate... I'm someone who gets uncomfortable making requests or thinking I may be inconveniencing someone. The CM made me feel super comfortable with the whole process. It got me even more excited for our upcoming vacation!
I'm so glad! I hope you have a wonderful trip :)

I make my requests for room location and beds when I make my online reservation. Is it better to do this by phone? And would a follow-up call be annoying as I already noted my request or would it be supportive?

I make my requests for room location and beds when I make my online reservation. Is it better to do this by phone? And would a follow-up call be annoying as I already noted my request or would it be supportive?
I usually make my reservation online a while before my trip. Later, when it's closer to my dates, I call to confirm and they usually repeat my requests. I thank them very much and we sometimes chat about the reason for my trip (if they ask me, which they usually do). If nothing is mentioned about the requests, I ask if they could double check that my request have been noted.

My Amazon Prime packages could not be delivered to the GCH today. They said they "ran into an issue" and will attempt redelivery on Monday. I am using the same address I always use which is 1600 Disneyland Drive. Has something changed in the last year about package delivery or is it because it is a Saturday?

Are the GCH pools busy on the same days the parks are busy? Asking because we'll be there on a couple of busy park days but I was thinking we could always just hang out at the hotel/pools if the parks feel too crowded. We'll be there April 6-9, which is at least part of Spring Break season.

Are the GCH pools busy on the same days the parks are busy? Asking because we'll be there on a couple of busy park days but I was thinking we could always just hang out at the hotel/pools if the parks feel too crowded. We'll be there April 6-9, which is at least part of Spring Break season.
Generally yes, although some seasonality (Hot Summer Days) can decrease the park crowd levels while still having an elevated number of guests in the pool.

My Amazon Prime packages could not be delivered to the GCH today. They said they "ran into an issue" and will attempt redelivery on Monday. I am using the same address I always use which is 1600 Disneyland Drive. Has something changed in the last year about package delivery or is it because it is a Saturday?
Was the re-delivery successful?

:earboy2: Magic. :jumping1:

I agree with DizMe, taxis are your best bet from SNA. We had a less than stellar experience last time because they shoved us in a Prius with our 5 checked bags in the back, it was not a very comfortable ride. We have a lot of luggage that we travel with, especially during Halloween, (costumes, etc) so I am going to be insistent this time on getting a minivan.

The last time we did a private SUV car service, we had to meet the driver at the very end in the parking garage because of the rule change at SNA. I had anticipated us getting picked up curbside, so was surprised when we had to schlep ourselves and luggage all the way down to the other end of the airport. Taxis just seem so much closer.
That's my best reason to fly into Long Beach instead, so much nicer.

The Veranda (club lounge) is on the the 6th floor, so that is the most convenient floor. Top floor rooms generally are above a roof that overhangs the lower floors, which allows more sunlight into the room.

My first choice would be 6333, park view near the elevators adjacent to Napa Rose.
All the GREEN rooms will have similar park views.
The YELLOW rooms are closer to the lounge, with a pool view.
Veranda is BLUE.
The RED rooms do not exist on the 6th floor.
View attachment 792547
I assume this is just hotel not DVC? (I see red in the DVC wing)

Just saw a really nice in-depth video of a Redwood Creek Trail room view and staying at the Grand Cal in general. He mentions he requested high floor, Redwood Creek or pool view. I personally think that pool view is beautiful during the holidays after seeing all the Christmas lights lighting them up and giving them a glow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter