Grand Californian Super Thread

The comments regarding noise are interesting, maybe it really comes down to location. We were in a studio villa in the DVC wing last September and our room overlooked DCA/Goofy's Sky School. I distinctly remember thinking how effective the balcony slider was at blocking out the noise - like we would open it and everything was very loud but the second we closed it, it was just slightly muffled sounds....that area near Soarin' must be significantly louder, we will have to keep that in mind for our trip later this year!

We were in a regular hotel room but it was on the far west side of the same area as the DVC wing. We were only on the 2nd floor and basically looked at the back of Goofy's sky school. We heard WOC music at night with the door closed. But that was the only thing we could hear.

We were in a regular hotel room but it was on the far west side of the same area as the DVC wing. We were only on the 2nd floor and basically looked at the back of Goofy's sky school. We heard WOC music at night with the door closed. But that was the only thing we could hear.
I was in a room over there once. No issues with noise, but there was a thing on the ride that swung back and forth in front of a light that was right outside our window (or at least it felt that way) so we had this constant flickering light at night. You could close the drapes but if you wanted them open to look out the window, it was unpleasant, at least to me!

I was in a room over there once. No issues with noise, but there was a thing on the ride that swung back and forth in front of a light that was right outside our window (or at least it felt that way) so we had this constant flickering light at night. You could close the drapes but if you wanted them open to look out the window, it was unpleasant, at least to me!
That would drive me crazy!

When were you there? I know music goes on late and is loud during grad nights or special events at DCA. I also know they sometimes rehearse parades at night, but the hotel will usually slip you note to warn you.
No special events, no notes slipped under the door. No white music would have covered up the noise. The glass sliding doors may have well not even existed. It was really, really bad. And it takes a TON for me to complain about anything anytime.

Well, it had to be some sort of private party or something because the parks are closed and wouldn't have music playing until 3am.

That would be super annoying though. I hope I never run into that when we're there.

Have you tried white noise on a phone or white noise machine? We can't sleep at most hotels without fairly loud white noise in the background.
Thanks for the suggestion, no white noise would cover this up....WAY to loud.

I remember reading your post about that! It sounded horrible. Were you in a Courtyard room or a Theme Park room?
RoseColored97 - That is exactly what we experienced....I think we went the 1st week of June, just a couple nights.

The comments regarding noise are interesting, maybe it really comes down to location. We were in a studio villa in the DVC wing last September and our room overlooked DCA/Goofy's Sky School. I distinctly remember thinking how effective the balcony slider was at blocking out the noise - like we would open it and everything was very loud but the second we closed it, it was just slightly muffled sounds....that area near Soarin' must be significantly louder, we will have to keep that in mind for our trip later this year!
Our slider door may have well not even existed. As others stated...it was one song on repeat and had a lot of base. I love loud music, just not 3-4am in the morning.

I'd take a flickering light anyday over loud music at 3am!!!!!!!!

Well, it had to be some sort of private party or something because the parks are closed and wouldn't have music playing until 3am.

That would be super annoying though. I hope I never run into that when we're there.
We spoke to a CM when we were there (no one in guests services or anything, we were just talking about it in passing), but she told us that CMs working overnight have been known to play music in the parks on the speakers. She said it's possible someone turned it on and everyone just kind of tuned it out in that area of DCA, not realizing Billie Jean was on a loop for 40 or so times lol. It is super funny now, but wasn't then.

So it definitely isn't just when private parties or parade testing happens. The "Halloween music", which was part of the private OBB, went on until approx 1am IIRC (about an hour or two after the party ended). That was not a big deal and should definitely be expected if anyone is staying at GCH during Halloween. It was just the continuation of the other music, on a loop, with the loudness after that was bothering.

I feel bad even saying this now, because the GCH is such a beautiful hotel and it was a dream come true to stay there. I just wish our stay wasn't marred by that experience. We'll try it again, eventually. Just in a standard room or specifically requesting a room facing the courtyard.

Sorry you had that experience. I would have called the front desk if at 3am. Just plain wild.

The overall noise.reduction of the rooms on the dvc side is significant. We've stayed next to the goofy sky school and it's loud on the balcony.

Close the door and it's hardly noticeable. You'll hear woc at it's peak moments too.

I'm arriving at the Grand tomorrow!

Some questions that I feel like I should already know the answer to, but I don't. ~

1. Are there irons in the rooms? My Dapper Day outfit is sure to be wrinkled.

2. Will they provide extra robes if we ask?

3. Do they have Keurigs?

4. Weird question- How do I get out? That hotel is so confusing to me and I've only ever passed through on my way to Craftsman Grill. I always get lost lol. I know how to find my way out from the CG once I've found it, but I assume it's slightly different from the rooms. Do I use that same exit? The one near Disney Dress shop?

5. Rope Drop- Is the general consensus still to go around to the main entrance instead of using the DCA one?

6. Do you pass through security every time you leave, but not on the way back in?

7. I heard there's a balcony where you can sort of see WOC. Is it on the 6th floor?

8. How is the line at the front desk, usually? I'll be stopping by to get room keys and maybe see about getting a connecting room.

Thanks for any answers!

I can't answer all those. But there is just the 1 entrance/exit at Downtown Disney. So the one you've use to get to Craftsman grill would be the same one. There are 2 entrances into California Adventure though. The one that's by Grizzly River and then there's one somewhere closer to Goofy's Sky school. I haven't used that one yet though.

You pass through security to enter Downtown Disney and if you go into California Adventure directly from the hotel. You don't have to go through metal detectors or bag check coming into the hotel though.

There is a balcony on the 6th floor of the DVC wing of the hotel, which is the wing at the south end of the hotel.

Yes. There are irons in the rooms and a keurig. Yes, you enter and exit to DTD by the dress shop and Sephora. Yes, you have to go through security from the hotel to DCA and from the hotel to DTD. You do not go through security to enter the hotel. When we stayed, the line was super long at the front desk. They did have a CM walking around with an iPad who tried to help guests in the line if they could. We arrived early AM. I have watched WOC from that balcony, but it was years ago and I don’t remember the floor!

Have a fantastic trip!!!

I can't answer all those. But there is just the 1 entrance/exit at Downtown Disney. So the one you've use to get to Craftsman grill would be the same one. There are 2 entrances into California Adventure though. The one that's by Grizzly River and then there's one somewhere closer to Goofy's Sky school. I haven't used that one yet though.

You pass through security to enter Downtown Disney and if you go into California Adventure directly from the hotel. You don't have to go through metal detectors or bag check coming into the hotel though.

There is a balcony on the 6th floor of the DVC wing of the hotel, which is the wing at the south end of the hotel.
Thanks! I totally forgot there are 2 entrances into DCA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter