Grand Californian

MattysMommy

Earning My Ears
I own at Bay Lake and in the past have been able to get Grand Californian at the 7 month mark but that was a few years ago. I have been checking often for the past year... it seems pretty much impossible now. Anyone ever have luck? Or do I just need to book a hotel room? I know you can use points to stay at the other hotels, but do not want to spend that many points, are there any cash discounts for DVC? Thanks!

It's likely to be tougher to get into VGC now that Star Wars is open. My suggestion is to book a hotel room with cash, then attempt to get your VGC waitlist. Our last trip, we couldn't get anything at VGC so we booked DLH--do not use points because as you say it's an expensive option. We then waitlisted for our 5-night stay, using two different waitlists. More importantly, we began checking the resort availability page almost daily, sometimes more than once each day. Within a few weeks, a 1BR opened for our first two nights, so we booked those and subsequently cancelled our DLH for those two nights. A few weeks after the 1BR came available, a GV popped up for our last two nights, so we sucked up the extra point costs and grabbed that. Again, we cancelled those two corresponding nights at DLH. That was it. Our middle night never popped up either on the resort availability page nor via waitlist (which we had altered to reflect our situation). So, we wound up spending a 2-1-2 split stay. It wasn't an issue moving luggage, the only minor inconvenience being not wanting to fully unpack during that time. There are no cash discounts for DVC owners about which I'm aware. Good luck!

I know you can use points to stay at the other hotels, but do not want to spend that many points, are there any cash discounts for DVC?
I have been watching VGC because we as well will be planning a trip in 2021. Pretty much if i get on the computer after 8am - there is nothing available at VGC. So maybe right at 8am you will have better luck. So what i think we will plan on doing is booking a very close off site hotel. Which i have found a large family suite (need that for our family of 5) for around $1200-1500 for a week. From their i will stalk or waitlist VGC. If something opens up i will modify the hotel booked. That is the best plan that i can come up with. Thankfully there are many off site hotels to choose from and the only thing you are really missing out on is any EMH/early entry.

If i don't end up finding a VGC room then if i want to offset my travel costs i will offer up my points for a transfer.

If you are going into it hoping to get a studio you are really out of luck I have never seen availability for them. Occasionally i do see 1 or 2 bedrooms. They do get snagged in seconds though.

We lucked into a 2 bedroom this summer. I started looking in May and our dates were flexible. I was hoping for 3 nights in a row but only got 2. Very happy.

I got 3 nights in a studio last October by waitlisting one night a time starting 2 1/2 months out. I wanted 6 nights but at 7 months nights 2 & 5 were already gone. I waitlisted the whole 6 nights but realized that was next to impossible. I booked 6 nights cash at Paradise Pier. I decided to book a long weekend at the Poly in September around the beginning of August so I knew I didn't have the points for 6 nights even if it did come though. So I cancelled the waitlist. Around the same time I saw that California Adventure was open until midnight on my last night (Friday) and I got the brainstorm to waitlist just that night. It came through in a couple weeks. So then I waitlist Thursday, it came through in a couple weeks. Then I waitlisted Wednesday, it came through about 4 weeks out. That was it, I was out of points. So I called Member Services and combined the reservations and reduced my Paradise Pier to 3 nights. So it can work!

Next month, I have Sunday to Wednesday nights before D23 in a 1 bedroom, booked at 7 months. I will admit I walked it and it worked. Then we moved to Paradise Pier on cash Thursday to Saturday nights.

I got one for October at the 7 month mark. Had to be a little flexible with the dates and check everyday right when things opened online but it worked out

I'm having this same problem. My cousin is a ride engineer in DL, so I'll be staying with her. I need just one or 2 random nights at any time and that's when I'll plan my flight out there, but I can never find anything.

i managed to snag three nights in a studio this past April at 7 months with my CCV points. I had to get ready at 0455 in the morning and multiple browser windows open to the booking page. I clicked right at 0500. First window said i was too early. Waited five seconds and clicked second window. You can see the booking page slow down from all the traffic but then the page loaded and i got my studio. So just to put it out there that it *is* possible.

The suspense was too much for me. I bought some VGC points soon after.

My wife and I got a last minute stay for 3 nights on the luck of the draw. It was also a 2 BR last October. Grand Californian stays seems to be luck, patience, and luck!

I own at AKV and I've booked a two bedroom at VGC at the seven month mark twice for a stay during early March (spring break in Texas).

In fact, I just booked our second trip this morning so I'm doing my happy dance!

We own at Aulani and we snagged a 1 bedroom at the end of March (so, still Spring Break AND it was a Friday-Sunday stay) so it's possible :flower1:

Oy. We are hoping to find something for next spring. We have a backup plan of booking an across-the-street hotel as well, if necessary.

I think it depends on when you want to go, and what type of room you want. I suspect 1 bdrm might be the easiest to get. For 2 years in a row, I have been able to snag 1 week in a 1 bdrm for August at the 7 month mark.

I've had great luck before this year getting 1 and 2 beds. Got utterly rejected for Feb of this year and again summer. I am not getting up at 4:30 for multiple days to play that game so I bit the bullet and bought points.

There is a reason rentals start at $20 pp now from what I've found. My suggestion would be to request a trade with an owner on all the relevant sites if you have a sought after HR like VGF or BC, otherwise offer to sweeten the deal with a few extra points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter