Grand Californian

Lack of housekeeping sure couldn't help. But I'm staying optimistic here that DLR has the tools available to control a wide outbreak. They use the dogs, and I'm sure they know the best way to eradicate the bugs. I keep thinking of the bag storage area as a problem, but surely they can fumigate that regularly.
That said, we check in mid August and I'm gonna do an inspection of the room first thing. Kinda glad there's no carpet.
I'm confused, what do you mean there's no carpet?

That said, one of the people who posted they had bedbugs on opening weekend really gave me pause. The hotel had been closed for over 13 mos. Bedbugs cannot survive longer than 5 mos without a host. How did these bedbugs arrive on the first day, or make it 13.5 months without a feeding?

Question on beds for any of the views of standard rooms. How likely is a double-queen with a sleeper sofa for a party of 4? We have two kids - 17 and 13 - who would prefer to not share a bed. Any info/suggestions are appreciated. TIA.
Most of the rooms we get have either a day bed or a chair that folds out to a twin.

That said, one of the people who posted they had bedbugs on opening weekend really gave me pause. The hotel had been closed for over 13 mos. Bedbugs cannot survive longer than 5 mos without a host. How did these bedbugs arrive on the first day, or make it 13.5 months without a feeding?

Don't the rooms have the plank kind of flooring now after the remodel? Or did they put carpet back down? Most Disney hotels are getting away from carpet in the guest rooms.

Thanks for this update. Curious about pool wrist bands. Wanted to invite a few people to come and swim but not on my reservation. Do they just check guest room key, or are they looking up names to room?

You can't bring non hotel guests to the pool to swim. You need a room key for each person who walks through the gate, and yes, they check names. It's been this way for a few years at the Grand. The DLH doesn't monitor the gates and hand out wristbands. The proximity to DCA makes this necessary at the Grand. People still try and sneak in, but they are always caught and sent packing.

When we booked online, our confirmation told us specifically what room type we were in (in our case two queens and a day bed). I also called and the represented said they are still not guaranteed, so she also put that in as our special request. Fingers crossed!

Don't the rooms have the plank kind of flooring now after the remodel? Or did they put carpet back down? Most Disney hotels are getting away from carpet in the guest rooms.
The entry way into the room is wood planking. Once you pass the bathroom, it is carpet.

The entry way into the room is wood planking. Once you pass the bathroom, it is carpet.

Yes. My confusion. It's been a long pandemic. The beds are high and they needed carpet. The new rooms are very nice. I can't wait to check in.

You can't bring non hotel guests to the pool to swim. You need a room key for each person who walks through the gate, and yes, they check names. It's been this way for a few years at the Grand. The DLH doesn't monitor the gates and hand out wristbands. The proximity to DCA makes this necessary at the Grand. People still try and sneak in, but they are always caught and sent packing.
Yes - this was our experience yesterday. They did check room keys for each person given a wrist band - it is only for hotel guests.

We've received free upgrades both at GCH and DLH, but that was pre-Covid. Who knows, now? With GCH, I called ahead and talked to reservations to request an area of the hotel (near the elevators) and asked politely if there might be a possibility of a free upgrade. They upgraded us to a wonderful room facing the courtyard with the monorail running through, and we could see the high fireworks over the roof opposite. That was several years ago. I would advise calling ahead to talk to room reservations if you can, but from what I am hearing, the wait on hold lately is abominable. It might be really hard to get through. In 2019 at DLH I asked at check-in and received a pool view in the Adventure tower.

Here's the thing. My kids and husband slightly cringe to hear/watch me do this; they get kind of embarrassed because they think I'm gushing and I'm not normally a gushing sort of person, though I'm cheerful and pleasant (gotta be, I'm a kid's librarian!). But I'm not ashamed to slightly gush when I'm asking for an upgrade. At DLH two years ago, I was checking in with receptionist, and by golly, I leaned on that counter and told her with a big smile how excited I was, because it was my birthday trip, and the whole family was back for the first time in 11 years, including my daughter and son-in-law! We had reservations for lunch at Club 33 (thanks to DH's work), and Napa Rose chef's counter another day, and she heard ALLLL about it. I had her gushing right along with me. I asked politely and oh, so sweetly if there was any possibility of getting DD and DSIL on the same floor with us, and maybe an upgrade to a higher floor? By this time, she was busily typing with a big smile on her face, and said, "Oh, yeah. We're going to make the magic happen." We got connecting rooms for the younger 2 DDs and DH and I, overlooking the pool, I think it was just 4th floor, but good... DD and DSIL were just further along the hall. It was pretty sweet. So... don't be hesitant to be cheerful and polite. It often pays off big in pixie dust!
You really need to come with us on our trips!

Thanks for this update. Curious about pool wrist bands. Wanted to invite a few people to come and swim but not on my reservation. Do they just check guest room key, or are they looking up names to room?
You can’t bring non-guests to swim with you at the Grand. The wrist bands are not a Covid change and have been part of their process for years. And yes, they check room keys of everybody in order to get the wrist band.

Does anyone know the cost to add club level to their reservation at check-in?

Thank you! Also, how long do you have access to the Club Level amenities on check-out day? We have a later evening flight and want to know if it would even be worth it if we can only use it until 11am (or checkout) on that day.

Thank you! Also, how long do you have access to the Club Level amenities on check-out day? We have a later evening flight and want to know if it would even be worth it if we can only use it until 11am (or checkout) on that day.

Until checkout unless you are already in the Club at checkout time. You can stay past checkout time in the Club if you are already in there, but you won’t be allowed in after checkout. Your key will stop working to open the door.

Until checkout unless you are already in the Club at checkout time. You can stay past checkout time in the Club if you are already in there, but you won’t be allowed in after checkout. Your key will stop working to open the door.

Oh, that brings up another question, if anyone knows.
When do you have access to the club on check-in day? Do we have to wait until the room is ready, or can we grab a cup of coffee in the morning after we do our early check-in?

Oh, that brings up another question, if anyone knows.
When do you have access to the club on check-in day? Do we have to wait until the room is ready, or can we grab a cup of coffee in the morning after we do our early check-in?
As soon as you arrive to the GCH, head up to the Club level and check in. Even if your room isn’t ready they will issue you, your keys and you can access the lounge. Enjoy!!! So good. We were there this week.

As soon as you arrive to the GCH, head up to the Club level and check in. Even if your room isn’t ready they will issue you, your keys and you can access the lounge. Enjoy!!! So good. We were there this week.

Thank yooouuuu!!! Can't wait! 😊

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter