Grand Canyon (Day 2 evening & Day 3)

keishashadow

Proud Redhead...yes, I have some bananas!
finally made it to the Grand Canyon...bit of a maze getting in...really worried we'd miss sunset...finally, with 1/2 hour to spare found an elusive parking spot & registered @ Bright Angel Lodge -next door to our hotel on the rim Thunderbird Lodge.

The reviews on trip advisor had me worried...without cause, it was well-maintained, newer bathroom & fantastic view:thumbsup2 (staff commented one of the best views onsite:goodvibes ). You'd def want to request 2nd floor so people aren't tromping past your window @ the rim...u r literally on the edge:)

dltrip289.jpg

the white area is actually the bottom floor - double set of rooms

view to the right
dltrip083.jpg

to the left
dltrip088.jpg

far left view, u can see historic Kalb studio in next 2 pics (2nd zoom) where bright angel trail begins just past it

dltrip103.jpg

dltrip105.jpg

sunset
dltrip053.jpg

dltrip060.jpg

dltrip094.jpg

we took a hike up to the end of complex then tried to get dinner @ any of the bright angel restaurants, but the wait was hours long so we settled for a table in the lounge & appetizers. Walked the 3 min to our room & set the alarm for sunrise:)

morning came early:lmao: jr didn't rise, too tired to argue so we dug in suitcase for extra clothing (temp had dropped into low 60's) and grabbed out cameras...at least we only had to get up 10 min before the sun since we were on the rim:goodvibes

dltrip097.jpg

dltrip251-1.jpg

dltrip255-1.jpg

Grabbed coffee, jr & set off to hike bright angel trail a bit

interesting how the canyon looked different in the various lighting of the day

dltrip246.jpg

dltrip238.jpg

dltrip236.jpg

this is the last semblence of a wall all the way down
dltrip263.jpg

dltrip284.jpg

mules have the right of way, people get to move to the outside of rim:scared:

dltrip282.jpg

told them i was done after 1/2 hr & planted it, family went down to next cave...altitude was difficult to deal with we all agreed
dltrip271.jpg

their shots of me hanging off the hillside (i have quite the fear of heights:rolleyes1 )
dltrip273.jpg

dltrip269.jpg

fyi, they tell u to allow double (or triple the time to retrace your steps)

indian pictographs on hillside after 1st bridge/cave

dltrip286.jpg

after a couple hours, we regrouped & toured the Kalb studio, then packed up the car after taking a few more pics in this area

pic working east to Watchtower from the western area of grand canyon village
dltrip278.jpg

elk were plentiful & def not spooked by people
dltrip300.jpg

looking down to where colorado river runs

dltrip296.jpg

lookout
dltrip294.jpg

zoom of colorado river
dltrip302.jpg

dltrip291.jpg

dltrip309.jpg

i was glad to see overlooks WITH railings
dltrip321.jpg

dltrip116.jpg

dltrip133.jpg

indian settlement @ GC approx 800 AD, that had been excavated to show footprint/some reconstruction as to how they lived
dltrip122.jpg

dltrip313.jpg

watchtower complex, furthermost eastern area
dltrip124.jpg

inside
dltrip137.jpg

looking up @ family
dltrip146.jpg

we decided to drive a longer (mile-wise route) past mt charles
dltrip331.jpg

back to Las Vegas thru Flagstaff...def recommend it, beautiful drive; little traffic & took over an hour less than drive to the Grand Canyon:thumbsup2

Beautiful pics! And why does sunrise insist on happening so darn early in the morning? ;)

I'm afraid of heights myself, but the view of the Grand Canyon was definitely worth it.

Beautiful pics! And why does sunrise insist on happening so darn early in the morning? ;)

I'm afraid of heights myself, but the view of the Grand Canyon was definitely worth it.
:thumbsup2
not sure why i thought there would be a railing all the way around it though:laughing:

it'd be some trick keeping an eye on little kids:eek: , i had a fit everytime somebody in my party tripped on a rock when walking near the edge...something to do with the tale park ranger recounted as to the # of fatalities every year

Amazing pics Janet.

By the way, have I ever told you guys that I left one of my kids at the Grand Canyon?

Well it was many, many years ago. I think Mikey was about 3 so Miranda would have been about 12. We had driven my inlaws big conversion van out for our first trip to DL. On the way home we decided we would also do a day drive by/visit to the Grand Canyon.

We got there early in the morning and things were going well. After being there for about an hour or so Mikey started to feel a little icky. We decided it would be best to go ahead and head out but stop at some of the different look out points along the way.

Now let me interject here that this van had a rear seat that folded out into a queen size bed. We had the bed made out for the entire trip with blankets and pillows on it so the kids could nap some while on the road. (I know I am a bad mom for letting them get out of the seat belts but remember this is a story about me leaving a kid at the GC so we already know that.)

So we are going along stopping at all the different turn outs/viewing spots. Mikey is starting to feel worse and he is starting to run a fever. We have to get on the road.

We pull out of the last spot we had stopped at, it was an unmanned one. I asked Miranda to get me a pepsi out of the ice chest. She didn't answer me. I asked again. No answer. I said Miranda if you are back there you better answer me. Still no answer! :scared1: I told dh she is not back there! :eek: Now for those of you that have driven the rim of the GC you know you can't just turn around.:headache: I think it was probably only a couple of miles before we found a spot to turn around but it seemed like it took forever. When we got back she was sitting on a rock with tears streaming down her face. :sad1: We have not been back to the GC needless to say.

Now my defense:
You see she had been playing with Mikey all along during the drive of this trip. She would hide from him under the blankets. It looked like someone was under the blankets. I swear I heard the car door shut before we got in. Really, I did. :rolleyes:

:eek:

i bet she played that incident for some miles with you.

great story.

i howled at it when i read it!!

I have asked her occassionally if she wants to go to the GC. For some reason she always says no.:confused3

Oh well, she survived. She is now 25 years old.

:lmao: :laughing:
it was her fault for wandering away from the pack...lucky a jack-a-lope didn't run off with her

(always turn it around & put the 'lil monsters on the defensive)

that would be my story & i'd stick to it;) :rotfl:

u realize u'll be hearing this story...forever from ur kids:eek:

Now let me interject here that this van had a rear seat that folded out into a queen size bed. We had the bed made out for the entire trip with blankets and pillows on it so the kids could nap some while on the road. (I know I am a bad mom for letting them get out of the seat belts but remember this is a story about me leaving a kid at the GC so we already know that.)

That's my favorite line of the whole story! :rotfl:

I think it is safe to say that if every parent were to have to recount every moment of their children's young years, there would be something somewhere for everyone to be embarrassed about.

That's my favorite line of the whole story! :rotfl:

I think it is safe to say that if every parent were to have to recount every moment of their children's young years, there would be something somewhere for everyone to be embarrassed about.

i think my kids keep a journal somewhere to jog their memories;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter