Grand Canyon, January, by train???

ZedAus

Earning My Ears
I LOVE this site. I have found out SO much information about our trip.

We are travelling to the US next December/January. I know... not the best time weather-wise, but I am a teacher here in Western Australia and that is our summer break, so hubby and I are travelling for 4 weeks. We plan on a longer trip in a few years time when we both get Long Service Leave (three months paid leave for sticking with the same employer for 10 years, then every 7 years after that) so we'll get to see more in better weather then, but for the moment we'll have to put up with a little cold. Actually it will be totally FREEZING for me, but I'm going to work on 'layering' my clothing.

Anyway... getting back to my question.

We will be in Las Vegas over the New Year and plan on taking a trip to the Grand Canyon. We were going to get up REALLY early and make a day trip of it as we already have our accomodation booked in Las Vegas. Well, today I read on a teacher's forum that someone was recommending the train trip to the Grand Canyon. Has anyone done this? We would still get up early and catch the first train out, then you get to spend a few hours there, so we would take one of their coach tours for an hour or so, and have lunch somewhere I presume. We looked at the train website and I would LOVE to travel in their 'fancy' section, where you get to stand outside at the back. Great views I would imagine.

I know it is going to be VERY cold, and maybe not the greatest time to go, but I was just wondering whether anyone else has anything to say about the train trip.

Thanks in advance.

Zelma
Favourite Quote: "Growing old is compulsory, but growing up is optional."
The 'kid' in me will always love Pooh!... and Mickey... and Minney... and Tigger... and... OK... DISNEY!!!!!!!!

I have never taken the train, myself; however, everyone I know who has taken it likes it pretty well. I think it depends on how much time you want to spend at the Grand Canyon and how much control you want have over the trip. Be aware the food is pretty expensive at the canyon.

Personally, I love seeing the canyon but don't need to spend 5 hours there looking at it from every viewpoint. Given that, the train would be nice.

The train will take longer than actually driving there. It is a 5 hour drive to the Grand Canyon from Vegas, and a 4 hour drive to where the train is, then you have to wait for the train, take the train, and then have very little time at the canyon.

You really can not do this in a day trip. I would spend a night at GC. Especially during the winter when roads can be difficult.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter