Grand Canyon lodging?

Nolefan1984

Earning My Ears
Random question but can anyone recommend a place to stay around the Grand Canyon Village at the South rim? First time visitors looking for a place for 3 days. My wife and I and a 17 year old.

I've also stayed at Maswick, as well as Bright Angel Lodge. Bright Angel is a little bit closer to the rim, but you can't go wrong with either. I believe you can make reservations up to 13 months in advance, the earlier you do it the better. I've been able to get in about 6-7 months out though.

I've also stayed at Maswick, as well as Bright Angel Lodge. Bright Angel is a little bit closer to the rim, but you can't go wrong with either. I believe you can make reservations up to 13 months in advance, the earlier you do it the better. I've been able to get in about 6-7 months out though.
We thought about staying in Tusayan? Looking to go in October so we would have to stay out a little bit. Grand Canyon Plaza Hotel?

We've stayed at Maswik also, and really liked it. It's just a short distance from the rim, so it's a little quieter than being right on the rim. Of course you sacrifice the view, but you can walk or drive to the rim for the view.

I believe Maswik South is closed for renovations. If it's not fully closed, it's at least partially closed -- so that means less lodging at South Rim. I would make your reservations as soon as you can. The most basic rule of visiting national parks is to stay INSIDE the park if possible, and you can't go wrong with any of the South Rim hotels.

Tusayan is another option, but...

Tusayan is only 6-7 miles from Grand Canyon Village, but it is OUTSIDE the park, so that means you could get stuck in a long line at the entrance station to enter the park. You may also have to have a reservation to enter the park if you're not staying inside. That was the rule, but I'm not sure it's still in effect. The entrance station at Tusayan tends to be very busy, because it's the entrance point used by most people coming to the South Rim. The eastern entrance at Desert View was closed due to Covid, but has now reopened.

Here's the website for Grand Canyon: www.nps.gov/grca

I've stayed at Maswick 3 times and like it a lot.
Last time was Oct. with DD and DGD.
Also stayed at Bright Angel Cabins.....love them. So close to the rim. We have that booked again for May.

We stayed and the el Tovar and loved it and it had a great on site restaurant too. Xanterra manages all the hotels in the national parks. You typically need to book a year ahead of your planned trip or keep checking for cancellations.

We stayed and the el Tovar and loved it and it had a great on site restaurant too. Xanterra manages all the hotels in the national parks. You typically need to book a year ahead of your planned trip or keep checking for cancellations.
Yavapai lodge is run by a different company. You may have more luck with that property. Be aware that one section does not have ac in the rooms.

If you stay in the Bright Angel Lodge Cabins, you'll have to bring extra bedding (unless BA will supply it) because the cabins only have one queen bed. But it was just my husband and I (well, for a couple days it was just me as he won the lottery and hiked down to Phantom Ranch).

With regard to air conditioning, keep in mind that the South Rim is about 7,000 feet. I don't even remember if our room at Maswik had AC.

A MUCH bigger problem at Grand Canyon is staying hydrated.

We stayed twice at Yavapai Lodge and it was fine for as much as we were in the room. And with the shuttle system easy to get around.

My only complaint about Tusayan is that there weren’t many food options when I was there last summer.

We've stayed Yavapai Lodge too. We stayed at Yavapai East in a family room, which had a king bed and a bunk bed. Really liked it there the two two times we stayed and it was only a couple months before I made our reservations to when we stayed...of course, this was a couple years ago so it might not be as available now.

How far in advance did you book your trip?

March lol. But now we are out of Covid. We did an entire Amtrak Vacation and the Grand Canyon was the finale. We stayed at the Grand Canyon Railroad Hotel in Williams, took the train up, stayed overnight at Maswick then took the train back.

Another vote for Yavapai Lodge. Rooms were clean and we really liked the location. Very convenient for parking, the shuttle, food, general store, etc., yet quiet and peaceful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter