Grand Canyon on spring break?

judykay53

DIS Veteran
Our spring break next year is March 23 thru 27 and we are considering a trip to the Grand Canyon South Rim. What could we expect in the way of weather for that time period.? I know it is still winter. Is the lodging limited this early?

Our spring break next year is March 23 thru 27 and we are considering a trip to the Grand Canyon South Rim. What could we expect in the way of weather for that time period.? I know it is still winter. Is the lodging limited this early?

We were thinking of doing the same, but a couple weeks later than you. I called Pygmy guides who said that it will be cold at the top, but warm down in the canyon. They were recommending spring time for kids to hike so that they won't get too hot.

We've decided to go in the summer instead - just dont think we can do all we want to do in just a week. We were thinking of adding on Bryce and Zion National Parks as well as Monument Valley.

Good luck with your planning.

Jodie

We went that time of year and had two nice days of cooler, but spring like weather followed by a blizzard that dropped well over a foot of snow and closed the interstates in the Flagstaff area.

As I recall, everything at the South Rim was open.

You could have any kind of weather, from warm to cold! Either way, the Grand Canyon is wonderful. Visit www.grandcanyonlodges.com to get reservations inside the park and www.nps.gov/grca for lots of information on the park.

You could hike at most a few miles into the canyon. If you want to do the full hike to the bottom, you need to get reservations, permits and be in excellent condition.

Have fun.

Can anyone tell me about the in park lodging? Are they all OK? Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with any of them? I will have more questions once we decide definitely.

Can anyone tell me about the in park lodging? Are they all OK? Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with any of them? I will have more questions once we decide definitely.

Haven't stayed, but through the research I've done, El Tovar is "the" place to stay. You might want to check Tripadvisor.com.

Jodie

We've decided to wait and go end of May/first of June. Thanks everyone for the info. I think I will start a new thread and ask about the in park resorts. Maybe I will get more replies. I think there are only two or three available now.

We've decided to wait and go end of May/first of June. Thanks everyone for the info. I think I will start a new thread and ask about the in park resorts. Maybe I will get more replies. I think there are only two or three available now.

There is a trip report out there on the Disboard of someone's Grand Canyon trip. They show a picture of El Tovar from across the canyon . . . stunning!

Jodie

I will look for it. I don't think that place is available for the dates we are looking at right now. Thanks.

We were posting at the same time!. I figured it was there. We have considered doing ABD and would really like to, but there are six of us and it would be rather expensive for the whole bunch:eek:

We were posting at the same time!. I figured it was there. We have considered doing ABD and would really like to, but there are six of us and it would be rather expensive for the whole bunch:eek:

I've priced a few of those trips - comparing the ABD price vs the exact same itinerary on my own for a family of 4. They tack on a HUGE premium, which I just can't justify. Also, I tend to want trips that last a bit longer. Sometimes I tend to feel a little trapped on tours also. Maybe some day we'll try one (after we win the lottery - ha) - think it would be fun for the kids to have other kids to hang with.

Jodie

We stayed in the "motel" type units at the South Rim . . . they weren't anything special, but they were fine. I want to say Miswak Lodge, but I just can't remember the name now. The lodging website was pretty good.

Visit www.grandcanyonlodges.com for information on all the lodges. You can check availability online, but you should call also. Many rooms are not listed online.

Bright Angel Lodge has cute cabins, Kachina and Thunderbird Lodges have nice rooms and Maswik and Yavapai are more like motel rooms, nice but not fancy. El Tovar is the grand hotel but you can still visit if you can not get lodging there.

Keep in mind that the main focus of Grand Canyon is the canyon! You won't be spending that much time in your room!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter