• Grand Floridan

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Disney Wish

Votes: 29 93.5%

• Total voters

Garyjames220

DIS Veteran
Hey

at the start of December 2024 we are planning a big trip for my wife’s 30th bday. We will have our three year old twin girls with us too. We have done a few Disney cruises but never been on the wish

We are from uk so do long trips but can’t decide if we should do

- 15 nights and Disneys caribbean beach resort and 3 nights at the grand Floridian

or

- 15 nights Disneys Caribbean beach and 3 nights on the Disney wish

We plan in doing mainly Disney and a few other parks. If we done the grand Floridian we would also spent a lot of time there and relaxing by the pool etc

just incase anyone mentions doing a more split stay with the 15 nights well that’s not really possible if we want the full dining credit promotion

what does everyone think?

Have you taken the kids on those cruises?

I would choose the cruise. Especially after so many days at the parks. Or maybe you are splitting your park time with the cruise somewhere in the middle?

Does it have to be either/ or? Maybe fewer days at GF and a cruise? I have no idea of price comparisons among the hotels. I love Animal Kingdom the best. Especially in lieu of doing park days. It’s a great place to hang out.

Ever consider renting a DVC unit to get more space for the family - and perhaps an in-unit (or closeby) washer and dryer? (They have a self laundromat in the ship, too.). Sometimes, I need to remind myself to think outside the box and mix things up a bit.

Early December is a lovely time to cruise, weather-wise and price-wise. I would look at cabin availability and price, too.

Sounds like a lovely way to celebrate - birthday and life.

Last edited:
Cruise. That is what I am doing for my 30th this year as well. After 15 nights you will have had plenty of Orlando time!

Have you taken the kids on those cruises?

I would choose the cruise. Especially after so many days at the parks. Or maybe you are splitting your park time with the cruise somewhere in the middle?

Early December is a lovely time to cruise, weather-wise and price-wise. I would look at cabin availability and price, too.

Sounds like a lovely way to celebrate - birthday and life.

They have never been on a Disney cruise, only a royal Caribbean cruise at 13 months

I don’t think next December is out yet, but if we go for that cruise I’ll just book as soon as it comes out.

i Just wasn’t to sure, you hear a lot of complaints about the wish, which is a little of putting, even though the pics and videos I seen looked great. Our girls would love stuff like the frozen dinner show on it

i Just wasn’t to sure, you hear a lot of complaints about the wish, which is a little of putting, even though the pics and videos I seen looked great. Our girls would love stuff like the frozen dinner show on it
We sailed on the Wish on the first cruise after the Maiden Voyage (DVC Charter) and our slow dinner service was really the only complaint we had. We are booked on the Wish again for this September (DVC Member Cruise).

I’ll be the minority for now. I would go with the Grand Floridian - and I would say that even if it were a value resort. Reason being: 3 night cruises feel rushed to me. I think after 10+ days in the parks, a nice soft landing into reality would be far more relaxing than a 3-night cruise. Yes, you can make a cruise whatever you’d like, but the energy is just different on 3 and 4 night cruises to me.

But that is only my $.02 and relates to my own preferences. It’s like asking if you want soufflé or crème brûlée. Either way, you’re getting dessert. You’ll have a fabulous time whichever you choose.

They have never been on a Disney cruise, only a royal Caribbean cruise at 13 months

I don’t think next December is out yet, but if we go for that cruise I’ll just book as soon as it comes out.

Most complaints about the Wish seem to come from long-time Disney cruisers. I look forward to sailing on her (and I am a long-time Disney and other cruiser).

By the time you are sailing, the Treasure will be starting. Should be a good time to do the Wish. The new Lighthouse Point private beach (also in the Bahamas, as is Castaway Cay) will have been opened for almost 6 months.

I’ll be the minority for now. I would go with the Grand Floridian - and I would say that even if it were a value resort. Reason being: 3 night cruises feel rushed to me. I think after 10+ days in the parks, a nice soft landing into reality would be far more relaxing than a 3-night cruise. Yes, you can make a cruise whatever you’d like, but the energy is just different on 3 and 4 night cruises to me.

But that is only my $.02 and relates to my own preferences. It’s like asking if you want soufflé or crème brûlée. Either way, you’re getting dessert. You’ll have a fabulous time whichever you choose.
I would agree on 4 nights over 3. But still love a cruise, especially if you are already in Orlando. And this plan of cruise + hotel = 2 desserts. It doesn’t have to be the relaxing part of a long vacation.

Your opinion is valid and based in reality. I would probably recommend it, too, if it wasn’t such a long stay. And definitely not park days everyday or all day.

The Grand Floridian will feel more luxurious than the Caribbean Beach resort to the adults, but I am not sure 3-year-olds will find it that much more appealing. The Wish, on the other hand, seems designed for young kids. It still has areas where the whole family can sit and relax, as at the Grand Floridian, but also has activities that the kids can do with or without parents, and activities that parents can do with or without kids. After 15 days at Walt Disney World, I would go for the cruise for variety.

Oh really. Where is it your staying for the two weeks, u doing the three night wish too

Apologies for the confusion, we are actually doing just a cruise for the birthday, no parks. We only tend to only do parks in the winter lately! I think cruises are great for celebrations though. Such a low key relaxing way to spend time.

My only suggestion would be fewer park nights and a longer cruise!

I'd go for the cruise. I have complaints about the Wish (our 12th DCL cruise) but I still really enjoyed it and I'm planning to try to book another one in the near future. There were things I liked about it more than the other ships and there are definitely some issues IMO (elevators 🙄) and things I didn't like as much as the other ships but it's still a lovely ship and we had a great time.

I wasn't too sure of the Frozen dinner show after seeing some videos but we loved it! They are so talented and most if not all of the characters stopped by our table for a couple of minutes. So much fun. Probably the best show on the ship.

Agree with most posters - as a mother, a cruise is a lot less stressful on the family than going to the parks. After so many days of the run, run, run at the parks and the shepherding/planning/stress of meal times, a cruise is a blessing and would allow everyone to relax and have everything taken care of - and so much close-up character interactions, which is priceless for the younger set. If the girls are potty-trained, they can spend a good amount of time in the clubs having fun doing crafts and playing games and you get some bonus adulting time. I have never sailed on another cruise line, but I understand many others come with required reservations and even potentially some fees at some hours of the day - I feel Disney is really designed perfectly for families once the kids meet the magical age of 3. I would recommend the longest cruise you feel comfortable with AFTER some theme park time. 3 is a tough age at the theme parks. Either they are overwhelmed and overheated and cranky much of the time, or they are the adventurous ones that want to go on a lot of rides with the "bigger" kids and cannot due to height restrictions, which brings on the tears. (Don't worry..... it just gets better as they grow up a little). Even with lots of "down time" at the resort or pools, you should have plenty of time to experience everything the family wants to at the theme parks and still enjoy a relaxing cruise to top it off. Wishing you the best of trips and a memorable family celebration!

Cruise! You will have your fill of theme parks and resorts after 15 days, and the cruise is going to be more relaxing. Plus the kids can go to the kids club at 3 years old if they are potty trained. Gives you and your spouse time to check out adult activities on the ship. Yes, a 3 day feels rushed compared to even a 4 day, but after 15 days in Orlando it will be a nice change of pace.

We're not laying by the pool type of folks, and we enjoyed our week at the Grand Floridian, I'd take the Wish cruise over the Grand Floridian.

I would choose 15 nights at Disney's Caribbean beach and 3 nights on the Disney wish. You mentioned spending time at the pool only if you stayed at the Grand Floridian, but Caribbean Beach has a really nice pool and a great play area for your girls. There is also a slide.

If you think that you are missing out on a luxurious stay but going to Caribbean Beach rather than the Grand Floridian, you really aren't. In my opinion, the Grand Floridian is pretty dated. I actually find the Riviera Resort (next to the Caribbean Beach) much nicer. You can still book dining at the Grand Floridian if you want to experience the restaurants. Narcoossee's just re-opened and The Grand Floridian Cafe is always good.

Don't forget that you can ride the Skyliner from the Caribbean Beach!!

yeah I guess that’s true

ps i would have soufflé every time, preferably the one is polo 😀

The Grand Floridian will feel more luxurious than the Caribbean Beach resort to the adults, but I am not sure 3-year-olds will find it that much more appealing. The Wish, on the other hand, seems designed for young kids. It still has areas where the whole family can sit and relax, as at the Grand Floridian, but also has activities that the kids can do with or without parents, and activities that parents can do with or without kids. After 15 days at Walt Disney World, I would go for the cruise for variety.
See that’s what I’m thinking.

our twins were crying when they had to leave the nursary on the royal cruise so god knows what they will be like on a Disney cruise. The first thing they say when they wake up each day is Minnie 😂

Agree with most posters - as a mother, a cruise is a lot less stressful on the family than going to the parks. After so many days of the run, run, run at the parks and the shepherding/planning/stress of meal times, a cruise is a blessing and would allow everyone to relax and have everything taken care of - and so much close-up character interactions, which is priceless for the younger set. If the girls are potty-trained, they can spend a good amount of time in the clubs having fun doing crafts and playing games and you get some bonus adulting time. I have never sailed on another cruise line, but I understand many others come with required reservations and even potentially some fees at some hours of the day - I feel Disney is really designed perfectly for families once the kids meet the magical age of 3. I would recommend the longest cruise you feel comfortable with AFTER some theme park time. 3 is a tough age at the theme parks. Either they are overwhelmed and overheated and cranky much of the time, or they are the adventurous ones that want to go on a lot of rides with the "bigger" kids and cannot due to height restrictions, which brings on the tears. (Don't worry..... it just gets better as they grow up a little). Even with lots of "down time" at the resort or pools, you should have plenty of time to experience everything the family wants to at the theme parks and still enjoy a relaxing cruise to top it off. Wishing you the best of trips and a memorable family celebration!

yeah we will be having pool time and take service meals etc to break things up

they went last May at just 13 months old and they were just great. 10 hour flight and didn’t cry once. Barley slept for a nap out there and there were always so well behaved. Couldn’t believe it. It’s when we got home the trouble started up again lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter