• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

GRAND OPENING - GRAND CLOSING (Florida)

True, sense of depth in a photograph can be difficult to analyze. In the picture, as you mention, the first family with the stroller is definitely distanced. The other people in front, however, are not. If you look at where the people are standing in relation to other structures of the building, it’s reasonable to say there is not much spacing between them. Taking that first family, it appears the spacing between posts is about 4-5 feet. The other people in front of them seem to occupy the entire space between columns, which would leave little space among them.

Yeah, I wasn't really arguing it.. just that it was very hard to tell sometimes. They do appear to be bunched up at the door. I just know that I saw some beach photos a month ago where they all looked packed together but then taken at the same time from above, it was a completely different situation.

I disagree. Selfish is when you choose to do something you know can cause harm to someone else and you don't care because what you want is more important. Going on vacation isn't in and of itself selfish.
Too bad that's not the actual definition.
Merriam Webster:
concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others
As I said, are you going to a theme park because you're concerned about the workers?

Merriam Webster:
As I said, are you going to a theme park because you're concerned about the workers?

I think the "without regard to others" is the key phrase here. Going on vacation is a hedonistic pursuit: vacations can be taken to provide pleasure to ones self but you could still be thoughtful of others. There is nothing selfish about general vacationing because it doesn't hurt anyone (regard for others). Certainly, there are ways to become a selfish vacationer, but just the act of vacationing is not selfish. I'm not getting where you think it is.

I think the "without regard to others" is the key phrase here. Going on vacation is a hedonistic pursuit: vacations can be taken to provide pleasure to ones self but you could still be thoughtful of others. There is nothing selfish about general vacationing because it doesn't hurt anyone (regard for others). Certainly, there are ways to become a selfish vacationer, but just the act of vacationing is not selfish. I'm not getting where you think it is.
I'm going on vacation for ME. I'm not going on vacation because the worker needs a job.

Merriam Webster:concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being WITHOUT REGARD FOR OTHERS.

Thanks for confirming it is exactly what I said it was. "Without regard for others" is the exact same thing as doing what you want, regardless of how it affects anyone else.

No, I don't go to the parks for the workers. I go for my own pleasure and to give my family great memories together. You don't have to be doing something good for everyone in the world in order not to be selfish, you just have to behave in such a way that you aren't harming others or infringing upon them in a negative way. A byproduct of us visiting is that it helps employ people, but that doesn't need to be the reason we go in order to make us not sellfish.

This is generally a very silly argument and I'm done with it.

Without hospitals, especially in vulnerable places where the access is already limited, you don't get to treat people period for all conditions. When hospitals lose millions a day their future ability to do research that helps the global community, their ability to treat citizens and enough of them, and so many other things are hampered and eliminated depending on the community. Places that lost money and now may be experiencing issues with COVID patients may lack the ability to do so as they laid off workers, or lack the funding for PPE, etc. Places that lost money and can't get it back most especially in the medical world hurts us all.

That is NOT something people need to casually joke about or mention in a dismissive way. Not in the least.

I think that poster seems to think he has some slam dunk argument in what is just useless semantics.

Without hospitals, especially in vulnerable places where the access is already limited, you don't get to treat people period for all conditions. When hospitals lose millions a day their future ability to do research that helps the global community, their ability to treat citizens and enough of them, and so many other things are hampered and eliminated depending on the community. Places that lost money and now may be experiencing issues with COVID patients may lack the ability to do so as they laid off workers, or lack the funding for PPE, etc. Places that lost money and can't get it back most especially in the medical world hurts us all.

That is NOT something people need to casually joke about or mention in a dismissive way. Not in the least.

The vast majority of those laid off do not have any association with research efforts. Stop making things so dramatic.

The group closest to us with the person having a hand on the stroller appears to be one family and they are well spaced from the next group in front of them. It's up in front of them that appears problematic and I can't really tell how far they are from the next group. Some of these types of photos have an angle to the shot that seems to make the objects in the "back" of the photo seem squished together.

Using a zoom lens can also alter the space perspective. What they really needed was some aerial video coverage. I would imagine the local news may have some for the actual reopening this weekend.

I would guess that it’s not going to be perfect, but so long as the CMs remind people to leave space (which is what I understand did happen in the case of the 7DMT photo, that it was immediately corrected) it should be fine. We just all have to do our part, at Disney and everywhere else.

The group closest to us with the person having a hand on the stroller appears to be one family and they are well spaced from the next group in front of them. It's up in front of them that appears problematic and I can't really tell how far they are from the next group. Some of these types of photos have an angle to the shot that seems to make the objects in the "back" of the photo seem squished together.

Regardless if it’s an accurate representation of conditions in this particular case or not, people have to expect that at times people may not be distancing like they should.

The thing is, make the choice not to join the line. Just walk past them. It’s not a real risk to those in the park who don’t gang up with them. It is to those choosing to do that and to those they go home to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter