• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

GRAND OPENING - GRAND CLOSING (Florida)

They've made it clear they're only shutting down because of the government. If it was a money issue, they would spin it as "doing the right thing." This is the statement on the Hong Kong Disneyland website:
  • As required by the government and health authorities in line with prevention efforts taking place across Hong Kong, Hong Kong Disneyland Park will temporarily close from July 15, 2020.
  • The resort hotels will remain open with adjusted level of services. Enhanced health and safety measures that reflect the guidance of health and government authorities have been put in place, such as social distancing measures and increased cleaning and sanitization.

I don't put any signficance on the fact that the gov't is the one ordering them to shut down. That they can leave the hotels open is surprising if it was political. Sounds like Hong Kong isn't going to risk this turning into something.

Eh....Nothing to do with Covid of course. :rolleyes: Who would eliminate mass gatherings after you go from no deaths to 52???? Why wouldn't you wait until they're dropping like flies? Btw, it's entirely possible that they traced that outbreak to DL.

Add me to the list of those not wishing for anyone to die. I'd like nothing better than for Florida and other states to do what they need to do to control this thing. It's why it makes me so angry that they refuse to and people insist on believing it's not real.
They had 52 cases, not deaths.

I listened to a podcast earlier about vaccines. The podcast In the Bubble with Andy Slavitt. He spoke with two experts on vaccines. At the beginning, it was sounding pretty hopeful. The two gentleman sounded very hopeful that we will definitely have a vaccine by the fall. The two leading candidates appear to be the one out of Oxford produced by AztraZeneca. The other is the one here, made by Moderna. They had concerns about the Moderna vaccine, because they aren't sharing enough data to date. They are excited about the one out of Oxford. Apparently over 10,000 people have been vaccinated and they are having good results. They're getting ready to enter "challenge trials"....where it sounded like they actually infect volunteers and then vaccinate them. This will be done in some undisclosed location in Europe....in a contained environment.

So, ok...that sounds promising I thought. By the end of the podcast they sounded less optimistic. Seems like there will be a vaccine we may get in mass quantities by 2021. Our FDA has accepted a 50% success rate as a winning candidate. We'd likely get the vaccine, then a booster 3 weeks later. They were more excited about vaccines that will come in the months and years after the first vaccine. And they spoke of some promises therapeutics down the road as well. But they also said that COVID-19 will be with us for for a very long time.

So, while I think most of us who have really been following along knew, this is just not going to be a "yay!!...we have a vaccine, let's all get it and travel the world again!!" It's going to be a much murkier outlook in the next year or so.

I feel like we have to settle into an equilibrium point where we can operate as a society while dealing with this stupid virus. Businesses and governments can't continue to turn operations on-and-off in response to the latest testing numbers -- doing so is just not sustainable in the long-term. Instead, we have to settle into a new-norm: social distancing, mask-wearing, distance learning, telecommuting, frequent sanitizing, more online commerce, etc.

The virus will be around for the foreseeable future and daily life has changed permanently. In this context, I feel there are only two options for WDW: 1) Disney World should open as long as it can adequately mitigate (but not eliminate) the spread of the virus among its guests throughout their parks through various methods, while making a profit, or 2) they will have to close permanently. I know option 2 seems drastic, but this company cannot survive and keep the parks closed until the virus is gone, and they cannot open and close the parks intermittently as Florida's testing numbers ebb and flow.

My essential question, then, would be: If everywhere else in Florida (or the nation) were operating similarly to Disney's "new normal," would we still be seeing this dramatic second spike in cases? If the answer is no, then Disney gets a pass: they are doing their part, and should not be punished for the rest of the state's/nation's inadequate response. Everywhere else needs to come up to their standard of "new normal" to address the spread. If the answer is yes, however, then they need to make further adjustments to operations or close permanently.

Coincidentally, this question can be applied to any other organization. Just replace "Disney" with the business or government in question. The question remains the same when evaluating whether or not they should be allowed to "open."

I feel like we have to settle into an equilibrium point where we can operate as a society while dealing with this stupid virus. Businesses and governments can't continue to turn operations on-and-off in response to the latest testing numbers -- doing so is just not sustainable in the long-term. Instead, we have to settle into a new-norm: social distancing, mask-wearing, distance learning, telecommuting, frequent sanitizing, more online commerce, etc.

The virus will be around for the foreseeable future and daily life has changed permanently. In this context, I feel there are only two options for WDW: 1) Disney World should open as long as it can adequately mitigate (but not eliminate) the spread of the virus among its guests throughout their parks through various methods, while making a profit, or 2) they will have to close permanently. I know option 2 seems drastic, but this company cannot survive and keep the parks closed until the virus is gone, and they cannot open and close the parks intermittently as Florida's testing numbers ebb and flow.

My essential question, then, would be: If everywhere else in Florida (or the nation) were operating similarly to Disney's "new normal," would we still be seeing this dramatic second spike in cases? If the answer is no, then Disney gets a pass: they are doing their part, and should not be punished for the rest of the state's/nation's inadequate response. Everywhere else needs to come up to their standard of "new normal" to address the spread. If the answer is yes, however, then they need to make further adjustments to operations or close permanently.

Coincidentally, this question can be applied to any other organization. Just replace "Disney" with the business or government in question. The question remains the same when evaluating whether or not they should be allowed to "open."
I tend to agree. I went to our zoo today. I felt perfectly safe but not overly restricted. They are doing it right. Wear a mask in congested areas and indoor displays. They posted signs to indicate areas where masks have to be worn. People I saw put them on. Now this is different than, say, a grocery store. People are paying to get into the zoo so they are less likely to buck the rules because they don’t want to get thrown out.

This is quality thinking. Pardon me for being so forward, but will you be my Governor?

Whoooaaaa now...you are bringing way to much logic to the fourth floor.

My gut feeling is that masks and social distancing isn't enough to stop the spread increasing. So regardless of how much these measures slow it, winter is probably gonna be very bad.

The main issue is that there are still too many places people will not be wearing a mask. Indoor restaurants, visiting family/friends/parties, offices etc.

Plus there are a growing number of idiots out there attending "covid parties"!!!!!!!

I feel like this has always been where we've been headed. This sort of "in-between" time....before vaccines and better therapeutics. However, we're not all playing by the same rules. Not all states are following the same rules. Within states, citizens aren't playing by the same rules. And so those of us who are following the rules, and corporations like Disney, who depend on state and federal leadership....are all caught in the middle. Between draconian lock-downs that crushed our local economies in the north...and.... "open her up and let her rip....we're not all living on top of each other down here in the south" pro-business stance.

Honestly, I don't know how we'll know exactly how Disney is doing with respect to control of the virus. My cousin and his wife contracted COVID in Florida a few weeks back. Nobody contacted them...nobody, from my state (NJ), nobody from Florida. Nada. By the timing of their symptoms, they were infected in Florida, then boarded a flight home as asymptomatic carriers. Both took masks off to eat and drink on the flight. Then they went to work for a few days before they got sick. This was before NJ put the quarantine in place. So....how will we know how Disney is doing?

So, I feel like the answer is that companies like Disney should wait until the state where they are located has what the W.H.O considers an "acceptable" positivity rate, which I believe is below 5%. The timing was terrible for Disney, we all understand that. Things were looking good in Florida, but the poor leadership and many non-compliant residents finally caught up to them.

Would have been so difficult for the governors down South to have shut things down for one month as their numbers exploded in June, which is what most experts said would have been necessary to really make a difference? Especially in Florida, it just comes off as a complete "screw you all....we're staying open". Ultimately, it's just prolonging the agony for the people of his state, and the rest of us as well.

I think you make a lot of good points minus the part of Disney World only having two choices, one of them being closing permanently. That is definitely drastic, and I think they have a lot of options before they’d have to do that. At least I hope so. :headache:

My cousin and his wife contracted COVID in Florida a few weeks back. Nobody contacted them...nobody, from my state (NJ), nobody from Florida. Nada. By the timing of their symptoms, they were infected in Florida, then boarded a flight home as asymptomatic carriers. Both took masks off to eat and drink on the flight. Then they went to work for a few days before they got sick. This was before NJ put the quarantine in place. So....how will we know how Disney is doing?
In order for them to have been contacted, an infected person would have had to have come down with symptoms (no guarantee), gotten tested (no guarantee), gotten results back (no guarantee), AND remembered every place they would have been over the previous two weeks (no guarantee). Did you cousin and wife inform any contact tracers where they had been (in enough detail to track down some random couple)?

I write this because it seems you think someone "dropped the ball" because they weren't notified. While contact tracing, on paper, is a good idea, I don't know how practical it is... especially in a vacation destination like Florida. If that's not what you were trying to say, I apologize.

In order for them to have been contacted, an infected person would have had to have come down with symptoms (no guarantee), gotten tested (no guarantee), gotten results back (no guarantee), AND remembered every place they would have been over the previous two weeks (no guarantee). Did you cousin and wife inform any contact tracers where they had been (in enough detail to track down some random couple)?

I write this because it seems you think someone "dropped the ball" because they weren't notified. While contact tracing, on paper, is a good idea, I don't know how practical it is... especially in a vacation destination like Florida. If that's not what you were trying to say, I apologize.

Oh, no need to apologize. I don't know the rules of contract tracing either. But isn't the theory....we find the sick people, treat/isolate them and then "trace" back to the people they've had contact with, possibly the places they've been....etc? So that those people then know that they've been exposed, can be tested, and if positive, isolate....then let authorities know where they've been, and so on? At least that's what I thought when I heard that, for example, in New York that they were building "an army of contact tracers".

Ultimately, this trip to Florida ended up infecting four people....all ended up with symptoms/sick and one hospitalized. My cousin and his new wife (both 28) flew down to see her father and brother, who live together in Florida. The father is in his 60s, brother in his early 20s. At the time...bars were open in Florida. So, the three 20-somethings went out several nights, to bars of course. Then they returned home...a few days later my cousin was the first to get sick, and was "the sickest he's ever been". His wife and her brother both got sick...the wife did best of the group, brother said it was like a terrible flu and the father was hospitalized. He's home now recovering. I don't know what happened as far as the people in Florida are concerned, but my cousin and his wife haven't been contacted by anyone. They called their places of work and let them know that they tested positive. My Aunt (cousin's mother) made them call United to let them know. My aunt said someone took the information down, but has no idea if they let anyone know on either flight that they were positive.

So, I guess I was under the impression that a person from the place where they got tested (in this case...a doctor's office), would have let someone know from the State...that they had tested positive. We're a few weeks out now from this whole thing....and nobody has contacted them. And I would think that here in NJ, where we only have 200-300 cases a day now, that we'd be able to do this. In states like Florida and Texas, where there are tens of thousands of positives a day. There's no way they can do this.

I wouldn't have flown before any of this happened in my own family. Anyone who has read anything I've written on these boards knows that. But knowing someone who took the chance, then took part in risky behavior (going out to bars) only to get infected and then board a flight home as a pre-symptomatic carrier. No thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter