Grandma rant (lovingly)

Both my daughter and son in law and my son and daughter in law used the owlet sock on their kids.

It was new to me but gave them an added layer of protection and peace of mind.

So many things changed since I had kids - we had crib bumper, blankets and stuffed animals in the crib, cribs that went up and down, walkers, etc.

If it makes them feel safer than I say go for it.

My mom came to visit me from out of town many times so I could have time with the spouse. When she had the kids, we didn't even talk about if they were fine when we 1st got home - that was assumed since we got no calls on our date. Instead, we always talked about the dates.

As they got older, the kids knew that they'd also get spoiled by my mom, since the other grandparents were "financial" grandparents, not "present" ones...now, my mom's not around, and I regret nothing about how we did it.

I guess my 1st premie having to go to NICU for 10 days right after birth due to lung issues (a hole in the lung) and failure to thrive got the whole "OMG, something's gonna happen" out of the way...no need to worry after b/c sometimes things just unexpectedly happen and all the monitoring in the world doesn't always see it coming (since no doc believed I'd go into labor when I did and how I did - til I finally told them if it was fake frontal labor, then I needed something, so I went into the hospital and gave birth 2 hours later)...

I am about 8 weeks away from becoming a first time grand father. Father of three, uncle of many, former scouting leader, and current Senior Advisor for a co-ed Explorer post.

And, I work in IT, so somewhat tech savvy.

It is too bad i do not know anything. Apparently I need an app on my phone and a $300 sock on my yet unborn grandchild to monitor them. And when they get old enough, you can then buy the $360 bigger sock so they can be monitored up to five years.

Look, technology is great, but I distinctly remember telling my wife that when my son was born, we would NOT be purchasing a new baby monitor. We would simply move the monitor out of my 3 year old's bedroom.

My how times have changed.

Pediatricians actually recommend NOT using those socks.

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/201...rable-smartphone-baby-monitors/4181485293107/

My daughter was always pretty easy going but she did have a bit of a 'less easy going but still pretty chill' period after the birth of her first child. We tried to accommodate all requests but there were probably lots of things we did that frustrated her. Thankfully it all worked out and by the time she had her 3rd baby, like 3.5 years later, lol, she was back to her easy going self and as long as the kids were clean, fed, and safe from obvious dangers she was good with however Granna and Grandpa handled things.

I completely agree.

When my youngest son was born, he was in the NICU. He was there for about 10 days. Since it is an ICU, he was hooked up to all sorts of monitors.

We were there the night another baby died. It was horrible. I guess that shook me a bit.

I could not take my eyes off my son's monitor. I was nervous to take him home. How will I know if he is ok if I am not watching his pulse, BP, O2 level, etc. Even though this was our third child, somehow I all of a sudden thought I needed all of this to make sure he was ok. My oldest was 10. How could I have raised her without such monitoring...

Fortunately, within hours of being home, I forgot all of those thoughts. That was almost 17 years ago.

Welcome to the club. I am into the mobile/eating stages now at 10 months old. DGS amazes me. Wait until it is time to start introducing foods. In my case, that was a whole different ball game. I was thinking mashed potatoes and applesauce from the table with baby food jars supplementing. Nope, DDIL and DS feeds DGS the same things that they eat just cut up into tiny pieces. DGS will eat bell pepper slices, pasta, spanish rice, all meats including duck and salmon and all kinds of fruit/veggies. He has had peanut butter toast. He will use a spoon if you fill it up and lay it on table. Forget the baby food jars of yesteryear. He is happy and healthy and not a picky eater. This month he learned to crawl upstairs with grandma close ready to catch him. I usually have him one day a week for a couple of hours prior to my going to work. If I am going to watch him longer or in the evenings, I will go to their house to keep him in his routine. Their house is more baby-proofed than mine. They do use a monitor so they can see if he can self soothe back to sleep or if they need to go in and put him back down. It all goes by too fast but we are having a ball. Enjoy!

I love to hear that they feed him what they eat.

And yes, just because they make it in your size doesn’t mean you should wear it. Sock monitor - wouldn’t a microchip have a better chance of not falling off? :rolleyes:

Wow, there’s just so much pressure on people today to keep up. I’m actually relived in some ways to be old enough that I realize my tenuous grip on “progress” is slipping and have mostly given up.

Congratulations OP and we wish you many happy days with DGS during this precious and oh-so-short season. :goodvibes
It’s not always about keeping up. My sister bought the socks b/c her twins were born 2 mos early, had severe acid reflux & one was prone to sleep apnea & stopped breathing for short periods when they were younger. So I would argue yes we should buy it if it’s available & it improves safety. Ppl are so cavalier about how they survived w/o it, but some kids didn’t survive & that’s how we know more about SIDS & other hazards. Why not add an extra level of safety if available? It’s only your child’s life after all?

It’s not always about keeping up. My sister bought the socks b/c her twins were born 2 mos early, had severe acid reflux & one was prone to sleep apnea & stopped breathing for short periods when they were younger. So I would argue yes we should buy it if it’s available & it improves safety. Ppl are so cavalier about how they survived w/o it, but some kids didn’t survive & that’s how we know more about SIDS & other hazards. Why not add an extra level of safety if available? It’s only your child’s life after all?
There are definitely children who are unfortunately medically fragile and require a lot of extraordinary support, including monitoring. This is a very different situation than most of those being discussed here and I'd wager different than 90% of the parents that are currently buying these "smart garments". :flower3: I hope your niece(s)/nephew(s) are well now and I wouldn't wish your sister's stress on my worst enemy. But even more so, I am truly sad for young parents who have a very unrealistic level of anxiety which is arguably caused, not relieved, by these measures. Post #43 above has a very though-provoking article on the topic. (Thanks @Moliphino.)

New MOM has a point and could provided a monitor but then DW and I bought our own even before we were asked to watch little ones.

Bicycle Helmets didn't exist when I was a kid and I survived and now "Florida law requires bicyclists under 16 years of age to wear helmets, and Guests must remain within the specific Resort area where the bike has been rented." >>> from * https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/bike-rentals/ *

DW and I had a bicycle store and our policy was to encourage helmet use. One of our young customers fell when riding and suffered a life altering brain injury that according to his Neurosurgeon was preventable with helmet use.
It is amazing the things that Florida willfully decides is a safety requirement and the things they don't seem to worry about. Quite amusing and the reason why I will not be going to Florida again for a very long time. I used to visit and spend tons of money at least once a year. I know you don't care, but do call me when everyone starts to act rationally.

It is amazing the things that Florida willfully decides is a safety requirement and the things they don't seem to worry about. Quite amusing and the reason why I will not be going to Florida again for a very long time. I used to visit and spend tons of money at least once a year. I know you don't care, but do call me when everyone starts to act rationally.
I guess that rules out Canada too. Helmet use by minors is mandatory not only on bicycles but also at ski facilities. Ane we have seat belt laws and laws prohibiting the use of cell phones while driving.

In summary, make sure they’re sleeping on rock-solid surfaces devoid of any comfort unless you want them to DIE. Don’t let them get too warm unless you want them to DIE. Use a baby swing to rock them to sleep? Not unless you want them to DIE. Take them for a car ride around the block to get them to fall asleep? Obviously you want them to DIE.

Meh I'd give the daughter a break (this is understanding that the post was a vent). This does sound like communication should have been done upfront about the expectations. It could have been "here's the monitor and I would really like you to use it" even if you don't see the need she's the mom and this does not seem like one to make a "it's unnecessary" stance on.

There is a lot that we have learned over the years in regards to SIDS, in regards to suffocation and incidents in the home. Although I know most of the posts are in a more light hearted jest that stuff should at least be recognized as knowledge gained.

I actually like the newer technology, some of it is over the top some just practical, some just darn neat and not all of it pans out to be considered safe after enough time has passed (I think the owl socks could cause burns?) but just because it is technology does not mean it can't be embraced on the basis of "I survived".

I guess that rules out Canada too. Helmet use by minors is mandatory not only on bicycles but also at ski facilities. Ane we have seat belt laws and laws prohibiting the use of cell phones while driving.
It counts for the whole world right now, it's just that Florida seems more confused about what is important and what is more important. The fact that we all have many laws that are for the safety of everyone, the idea that any action to protect ourselves and others from a very deadly thing is a matter of "freedom" borders on complete foolishness.

;) I’m just picturing parents everywhere losing their minds because when the sock falls off the app alerts them that their child no longer has a pulse. :scared1: Chaos ensues. (Ever try to keep socks on an active infant?)

My DS, who was in daycare starting at age 6 weeks and learned to crawl very early, hated socks very much, and after he ditched his the minute he got out of the carseat, he then made it his mission to rescue all of the other babies in the room from them, too. I can't tell you how many times I got GLARED at by daycare workers and by other parents over the disappearing sock issue, because he not only took them off the other children, but hid them (and even flushed them later on) so that they wouldn't be put back on. (The daycare used to find socks everywhere. He would stash them in diaper boxes, in books, in clothes bins and carseats, inside cardboard building blocks, you name it.)

I can just imagine if the darn things had been expensive monitors. Yeesh.

We definitely listened intently to our doctor and followed all the safety recommendations. We had an audio monitor but once I realized just how loud that cry was pretty much stopped using it. But I have the feeling some of this new tech just adds to parental anxiety rather than calming it.

I will add this. Self soothing is an important skill for babies. It's not by accident that my third baby was by far the earliest to sleep through the night. She didn't sleep better. I was just more tired and slower to respond.

My DS, who was in daycare starting at age 6 weeks and learned to crawl very early, hated socks very much, and after he ditched his the minute he got out of the carseat, he then made it his mission to rescue all of the other babies in the room from them, too. I can't tell you how many times I got GLARED at by daycare workers and by other parents over the disappearing sock issue, because he not only took them off the other children, but hid them (and even flushed them later on) so that they wouldn't be put back on. (The daycare used to find socks everywhere. He would stash them in diaper boxes, in books, in clothes bins and carseats, inside cardboard building blocks, you name it.)

I can just imagine if the darn things had been expensive monitors. Yeesh.
OMG we had one like that too! Sadly, he felt the same way about shoes. He could slyly slip off a shoe so quickly in public. I was forever checking lost and found at every store. At home he hid his shoes everywhere. Funny, now as an adult, he’s usually barefoot or in flip flops 🩴

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter