Grant Wahl has died

Viral pneumonia is a thing, so is fungal. It's not always bacterial.
They really need to come up with a better name for it then, as it is named after the bacteria. Not truly pneumonia if it is viral or fungal. Still a horrible way to die though. It's like drowning.

They really need to come up with a better name for it then, as it is named after the bacteria. Not truly pneumonia if it is viral or fungal. Still a horrible way to die though. It's like drowning.

No it wasn't. The bacteria (there are actually at least two pneumoniae bacteria) were named after the disease as they were the first two isolated from patients with pneumonia.

You'd better tell the medical community that they've got it all wrong - here they were not realising that it is "not truly pneumonia if it viral or fungal". Add to that causes like aspiration pneumonia.

It wasn't sudden and he wasn't in good health at the time. He had been ill for more than 10 days, been to the doctor multiple times, and continued to overwork himself. I doubt there was foul play involved.

It's one thing to get bronchitis, but that generally is not a terminal disease. When I said in good health, I meant prior to the World Cup. Grant was a critic of FIFA and the Qatari treatment of migrant workers, so he wasn't making friends over there. And now there are reports of another journalist dying. Was there foul play? The only thing that can answer that question is a full investigation.

In his own words, he had been sick since about December 3rd with what started as a cold and turned into bronchitis. He also made mention that everyone in the press around him had some sort of nasty cough with a chest rattle. He then commented about working himself to the breaking point with little or no sleep. My uneducated guess is that his "cold" and turned into pneumonia, he kept on going, and with the fluid in his lungs probably brought on cardiac arrest.
Or myocarditis. This is why if you are sick you rest! Have a viral infection- don’t go jogging or push yourself. This guy from his own reports was run down, running on empty.

almost every western news agency, sport reporter has been critical of FIFA and the whole Qatar thing for many years. So him being critical is not a red flag or a reason for QAtar to point him out as he was one of hundred.

Streptococcus pneumoniae is the bacteria that causes pneumonia, so if he died of complications due to pneumonia, it wasn't a virus that killed him.
It's ONE of the organisms that causes pneumonia. There are many that do, including the infamous Pneumocystis jirovecii, a fungal pathogen which has killed hundreds of thousands of AIDS patients since the 1980s.

Viral pneumonia can be caused by quite a few virus types, among them influenza, various coronaviruses such as SARS and COVID, adenoviruses, RSV, measles, enteroviruses ...it's a long list. This article in Clinical Infectious Diseases describes some of the most common: https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/55/1/107/317754

Pneumonia is a term that by definition means inflammation of the alveoli sacs in the lungs, which have become filled with fluid or pus. The general term pneumonia does not describe what caused the inflammation/ infection. It describes the state the lungs are in. The pneumonia a post op patient can get from normal mucous pooling in the lungs when they’re not taking deep breaths & coughing is “truly pneumonia”.

Regarding the term you’re talking about, the bacteria name is actually used as an adjective , describing the noun pneumonia. No new name needed.

They brought him back to NY for an autopsy. He died of an aortic aneurysm.
At least some closure for Celine and his family. Seems like her work (well, connections through it) helped in being able to bring the body home for autopsy (i.e. with no embalming).

Very sad. This is what almost killed me 2 years ago. Didn’t even know I had it also.
I am glad his wife has answers and closure. We did the autopsy with my sister too who died of the same thing 30 years ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter