Great 1 night stop or day trip between San Francisco and Disneyland?

Fall1

DIS Veteran
We are planning San Francisco and Disneyland in April 2023 and will be driving from SF to DL. Is there a great day trip or 1 night stop between them that we'd enjoy? We are a family of 4 with 2 fifteen year olds. Thanks!

We are planning San Francisco and Disneyland in April 2023 and will be driving from SF to DL. Is there a great day trip or 1 night stop between them that we'd enjoy? We are a family of 4 with 2 fifteen year olds. Thanks!
Go up 101 instead of I5 and stop at some missions. Alternately stop at both Channel Islands NP and Monterey Aquarium. Or at Santa Cruz Boardwalk. Or at Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park.

If you'd like to enjoy the journey then I agree with Douglas Dubh. Either go on the 1 or 101. You might begin on the 1, and spend the night in Cambria, then cut over to the 101. If you take the 41 you'll pass a roadstop that has some memorabilia from James Dean when he visited there before his fatal crash. Paso Robles is also nice to visit, and the drive is beautiful.

Taking the 5 down is the quickest, and there is really nothing to see unless you want to visit Magic Mountain at the northern end of Los Angeles.

Hwy 1 through Big Sur is one of the worlds great drives but it really need 2 seperate overnight stops as it’s easily 11-12 hours driving plus stops, of which there are many. Otherwise it’s about 6-7hrs via the boring i5 or 8-9 hours via the 101. If going via the 101 I’d stay in Pismo Beach or Santa Barbara

With 2 fifteen year olds, I would consider Santa Barbara pier area for kayak and bike rentals on the strand, and a visit to the beautiful SB zoo and gardens. I would also drive the 1 all the way down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter