Great News! Moderna says its Covid19 vaccine is 94.5 % effective!

Positive news on the vaccine front!!!!! :cool1:
Next BIG question to get answered is - How long is the vaccine effective for?????? :earsboy:

I didn’t hear anything about needing two doses for this new vaccine either, which could mean easier access and earlier protection. Hopefully that is good news for spring break cruising!!

I didn’t hear anything about needing two doses for this new vaccine either, which could mean easier access and earlier protection. Hopefully that is good news for spring break cruising!!
Yes, it's also 2 doses. Pfizer's is with 21 days between doses, Moderna - 28 days.

I agree... it's amazing that some high-risk individuals, such as doctors and nurses, will be able to be immunized in December, just slightly less than a year to the first cases being identified. I was just pointing out that it's probably not going to be able to save spring break.

I agree... it's amazing that some high-risk individuals, such as doctors and nurses, will be able to be immunized in December, just slightly less than a year to the first cases being identified. I was just pointing out that it's probably not going to be able to save spring break.

I understand.

The math is such that it is doubtful that most Americans will have access by April. If prioritization occurs, most will not. Otherwise, the richest will get first access.

Based on production numbers for both Moderna and Pfizer, 35 million people will get vaccinated in 2021. That is 10% of the US population.

In another post I pointed out that it takes 20 million alone to cover health care workers and elementary and middle school staff. Not even Pre-K or high school teachers, or first responders.

The math is such that it is doubtful that most Americans will have access by April. If prioritization occurs, most will not. Otherwise, the richest will get first access.

Based on production numbers for both Moderna and Pfizer, 35 million people will get vaccinated in 2021. That is 10% of the US population.

In another post I pointed out that it takes 20 million alone to cover health care workers and elementary and middle school staff. Not even Pre-K or high school teachers, or first responders.

It depends it’s on how many others come online remember there are more companies developing vaccines as we speak

It depends it’s on how many others come online remember there are more companies developing vaccines as we speak
Still, with two you're looking at 10% possible.

There are limitations on storage, manufacture and administration as well. If every candidate that potentially comes online can only manage that level, it would take 20 vaccines to get everyone in 2021.

Just prioritizing medical, first response/social service and education eats a huge number.

I work in healthcare/hospital. YOU are welcome to my dose. Too quick, too many unknowns. All my coworkers are not excited about being guinea pigs.

I'm hopeful that with 2 vaccines now announced to be over 90% effective and having them start to be rolled out within the next few weeks (here in the UK anyway) that we could be back to normal soon! We're vaccinating the vulnerable and at risk categories here first and hopefully then we can start getting back to regular life. Fingers crossed we're on track soon enough for my May sailing but I'm still nervous about getting my hopes up

I think you mean vaccinated in 2020. Both plan to have over 1 billion doses available in 2021...

I work in healthcare/hospital. YOU are welcome to my dose. Too quick, too many unknowns. All my coworkers are not excited about being guinea pigs.

I work in a hospital too and we're all very happy we get offered it first! It's a vaccine based on an existing already used one that's just been adapted and has been through all the necessary tests. Quickly yes, but there's never been such high need before. Sign me up!

That 1 billion is not US-only, however.
It's 2.3 billion between both. Also, being that the spike protein appears to be susceptible to these vaccines, it gives encouragement on the others. J&J and AstraZeneca should have results by the end of the year as well, assuming no more adverse events (side note: a friend of mine said they wouldn't take the J&J vaccine because "someone died in the trial". I tried to explain that that person was in the placebo group, but anyway, it went to no avail...)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter