Greta Thunberg

I disagree she has wisdom.. " You have stolen my childhood" she screamed to the UN leaders.. oooookay... how was her childhood stolen. She grew up in Sweden, upper middleclass, fed, clean, warm. free education. If anyone stole anything it was her parents and others pushing this poor child who was not mentally/developly independent. If she wants to see children who have had their childhood's stolen. i suggest she make a visit to Syria as she needs to be educatied on stolen childhoods. And while she's at it, (might take a while as she needs to ride a bike), she should head more east and get the courage to protest in the Middle East (oil) and then bike even further to India/China ( coal), convince those guys to change and then maybe she might make a change.. Stop protesting to me. I have done enough.

I believe she means that kids should not have to worry about climate change and the harm being done to the planet. She can't go back to just fun and games. Those who don't know ought to know, and those who already know, know too much

I believe she means that kids should not have to worry about climate change and the harm being done to the planet. She can't go back to just fun and games. Those who don't know ought to know, and those who already know, know too much

Actually she can just like millions of kids.

Actually she can just like millions of kids.

But those kids are oblivious/ignorant to reality. Which isn't a bad thing. Kids should be somewhat sheltered while they grow up so they don't lose their innocence too soon. Her point, I think, is that people SHOULD be more alarmed than they are about this problem, and while it is okay for kids to have their heads in the sand, it's not an acceptable excuse for adults who are in the position/have the power to enact meaningful changes. However, she isn't ignorant to what is happening and she is saying she can't go back to that innocence of childhood now, and too many kids are growing up with this awareness that strips them of that innocence as well. These issues ARE being talked about in elementary schools here. It is a big part of the science curriculum. My son just had to do a project about wastefulness (he is a 10th grader and that was for a college prep Chemistry class). He had to identify an area in his own life where he was wasting a resource and for 2 weeks, make a measured effort to be less wasteful, and had to create data graphs showing his progress. He then had to connect how his wastefulness would affect the planet in the long run if it was scaled up to a larger population. These types of lessons have been going on since at least 3rd grade and have scaled up in intensity as the years have gone on. Kids really don't get the chance to grow up without worrying about this stuff these days.

So my thoughts on Greta, and this is coming from someone who lives in Germany,where this movement has been going on a long time ( Friday for Future)

She is an activist NOT an environmentalst. Big difference. One protests, cry and screams the other offers practical solutions.

This now young adult speaks from her heart but she does not make me "nervous" nor give me "Wisdom. I question not her, but those surrounding her. She has devlopmental issues ( autism not sure how you classify this, and was depressed at a xoung age( where I think she is easly misused. I find it hard that a child can convince parents to give up their careers for a cause unless there are some benefits. Her parents gave up their careers a she wanted them to stop flying. Activism today, like youtubing is also a career. I think her parents fall into this group. Activism is like youtubism.. it's a nice career while getting famous for it. The whole let's take a boat to the UN as airtravel is evil PR stunt made great news, but it was rarely reported that a crew of 6 were then FLOWN to NYC to sail back.

I think we would like to believe that those Memes of her and a certain head of state make grown men uncomfortable. I disagree, annoyed is more like it. She annoys much of Europe right now. Especially Germany. Sure you have kids who skip school Fridays, ( after being dropped up by their SUV driven parents) but she offers no practical solution to the problem. There are 100s of other environmentalists working in 3rd world countries where most of the Co2 is being produced. and are not recongnized or get the PR. Greta and friends sit on nice, clean european city squares and protest and there's cameras.

The only thing she did was bring up the issue even more in the press. Over here this has always been an ongoing topic and Germany is ahead of the game. This is where the backlash is now coming, extreme left politicans want more. Sure let's ban airtravel. ( millions of jobs) add a tax to gas/oil to heat your home (people have a hard time paying now) ,.. All the while while India and China are adding coal stacks.. Germany only contributes 2% I believe of their own Co2 by man made things.

I disagree she has wisdom.. " You have stolen my childhood" she screamed to the UN leaders.. oooookay... how was her childhood stolen. She grew up in Sweden, upper middleclass, fed, clean, warm. free education. If anyone stole anything it was her parents and others pushing this poor child who was not mentally/developly independent. If she wants to see children who have had their childhood's stolen. i suggest she make a visit to Syria as she needs to be educatied on stolen childhoods. And while she's at it, (might take a while as she needs to ride a bike), she should head more east and get the courage to protest in the Middle East (oil) and then bike even further to India/China ( coal), convince those guys to change and then maybe she might make a change.. Stop protesting to me. I have done enough.

Well maybe those "environmentalists" you speak of should get more "wisdom" and get out of those third world countries and into the emerging and developed countries.

C02 emissions. 2017
1. China
2. United States
3. India
4. Russian Federation.
5. Japan
6. Germany.
7. South Korea
8. Iran
9. Saudi Arabia
10 Canada.

Not one of these is third world. The first third world country on the list is #11 and its output is less than 5% of China's.

EU as a whole would rank 3rd.

Given that China is a non starter as far as questioning things go and Russia is right behind them in that regard, well EU at #3 would be a pretty good place to start if that is what she chooses. It's both a place that can do better and is more receptive to doing better.

Last edited:

But those kids are oblivious/ignorant to reality. Which isn't a bad thing. Kids should be somewhat sheltered while they grow up so they don't lose their innocence too soon. Her point, I think, is that people SHOULD be more alarmed than they are about this problem, and while it is okay for kids to have their heads in the sand, it's not an acceptable excuse for adults who are in the position/have the power to enact meaningful changes. However, she isn't ignorant to what is happening and she is saying she can't go back to that innocence of childhood now, and too many kids are growing up with this awareness that strips them of that innocence as well. These issues ARE being talked about in elementary schools here. It is a big part of the science curriculum. My son just had to do a project about wastefulness (he is a 10th grader and that was for a college prep Chemistry class). He had to identify an area in his own life where he was wasting a resource and for 2 weeks, make a measured effort to be less wasteful, and had to create data graphs showing his progress. He then had to connect how his wastefulness would affect the planet in the long run if it was scaled up to a larger population. These types of lessons have been going on since at least 3rd grade and have scaled up in intensity as the years have gone on. Kids really don't get the chance to grow up without worrying about this stuff these days.

Just because they don't feel their childhood was taken from them and they aren't petrified for their future the way Greta is doesn't mean they are oblivious or ignorant to reality. They know they don't have to run around like Chicken Little like Greta has chosen to do.
Her innocence was taken away from her by her parents, nobody else did this to her.

(to the bolded)
Those kinds of lessons started in K with my kids, and I certainly remember them when I was in school. Obviously they were age/grade appropriate but they sure as heck were being taught and talked about.
Being concerned with the environment is nothing new, this upcoming generation is not the first that has had to be, and there certainly is a difference between teens being concerned and being ALARMED. The latter is not at all a healthy way to be.

Whether you agree with her or not, her methods, whether she is being manipulated or speaking true to herself, whether she is shrill or sage, she has opened up communication about climate change.

Look, she is even the subject of her own thread here on the DIS.

I applaud our young people for at least trying to make a difference. Whether I believe in them or not, it is so much better than the apathy I see in the older generations.

Am I the only one who is rather indifferent to the climate change debate? Look I wish more was being done but at the end of the day, I will be long gone before any of the repercussions are felt. I just can't see spending what little time I have on this Earth worried about that which I cannot control.

Am I the only one who is rather indifferent to the climate change debate? Look I wish more was being done but at the end of the day, I will be long gone before any of the repercussions are felt. I just can't see spending what little time I have on this Earth worried about that which I cannot control.

The effects are already being felt. With a life expectancy of about 80 right now, I expect to feel the effects far more before I die.

I feel the same. Have zero concern. Earth and it’s inhabitants have been changing and evolving since it’s creation.

Her parents didn't teach her this, she got involved in environmentalism on her own.

That isn't what I said they did. Greta isn't just involved in environmentalism, she is down right suffering anxiety about it. Yeah, that is some great parenting right there.
You are free to disagree, but she isn't any more special than the kids at my local HS who are involved in environmentalism. The only difference is she is being exploited.

How do you think your life will be impacted by climate change?

If I may?

A couple of points...
  1. The supposed impact will be chiefly felt by the younger generations. It is their inheritance we are leaving behind.
  2. According to archaeological evidence, climate change is NOT only caused by the human race; it has happened before on more epic scales than we can imagine and will happen again. Heck, it is happening right now, slowly but surely
  3. Over the short term, the world is warming and the ice caps melting, However, I believe I'm right in saying that if temperatures are sampled over much longer periods of time, we're actually cooling?
Hope that helps address some people's opinions. As I said in my original post, I'm not remarking on Greta's being right or wrong, merely on the strength and drive of her opinion.

That isn't what I said they did. Greta isn't just involved in environmentalism, she is down right suffering anxiety about it. Yeah, that is some great parenting right there.
You are free to disagree, but she isn't any more special than the kids at my local HS who are involved in environmentalism. The only difference is she is being exploited.

Exploited by who? From what I've read her parents are just sort of along for the ride, they aren't pushing her into any of this.

Whether you agree with her or not, her methods, whether she is being manipulated or speaking true to herself, whether she is shrill or sage, she has opened up communication about climate change.

Look, she is even the subject of her own thread here on the DIS.

I applaud our young people for at least trying to make a difference. Whether I believe in them or not, it is so much better than the apathy I see in the older generations.
Their apathy will come. It comes for most of us. Most ppl of “older generations” weren’t always apathetic. The reality of the real world & how things really work is makes ppl more apathetic later in life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter