Greyhound Dogs--Training Update #244

While he was in a racing kennel, his hours were about
6:00-6:30 first turn out, then they are usually brought in and fed, the only time they do not feed them in the morning is the day that they race.
After they eat they are usually turned out into the pens around 9:30- 10:30 most of the time they are left out for 30-45 minutes, the times that turn outs occured was pretty similar in all the racing kennels at Derby Lane.

The trainers or helpers would then return later in the afternoon 3pm-4pm for an afternoon turnout then again in the evening around 8:30- 9:30. The rest of the time they were crated in the kennels.

Hope this gives you some idea of the kind of schedule that he was on.
I know that all the trainers did feed in the mornings, their turnout times were all about the same also.

He may have been kept in the racing kennel for year either because of injury that they felt he may come back from or it could have been that they were looking for another "cheaper" track to run him at......just some thoughts, cause usually a trainer will not keep a dog in a kennel just for company or to feed, it takes away from their bottom line, at that point they are usually returned to their owner, back to the farm (for breeding etc) or placed for adoption. We did have a few trainers that would "hold" them until we could find foster homes or take them ourselves.

He is beautiful. Congratulations and have fun learning about each other.

He's so pretty. I'd so love a greyhound. :love:

Is he neutered?

Also, I'd recommend you read Cesar's Way, by Cesar Millan, and watch his shows if you haven't already (National Geographic channel). He doesn't really tell you how to train or anything, but he's taught me so much about dog psychology. I grew up around dogs (my grandfather was a dog catcher and kept probably half the dogs he caught) and a lot of things I just knew from being around them, but there is so much more I have to learn.

While he was in a racing kennel, his hours were about
6:00-6:30 first turn out, then they are usually brought in and fed, the only time they do not feed them in the morning is the day that they race.
After they eat they are usually turned out into the pens around 9:30- 10:30 most of the time they are left out for 30-45 minutes, the times that turn outs occured was pretty similar in all the racing kennels at Derby Lane.

The trainers or helpers would then return later in the afternoon 3pm-4pm for an afternoon turnout then again in the evening around 8:30- 9:30. The rest of the time they were crated in the kennels.

Hope this gives you some idea of the kind of schedule that he was on.
I know that all the trainers did feed in the mornings, their turnout times were all about the same also.

Thanks--that's great info! It's basically the schedule I'm hoping to get him on--up between 5:00 and 6:00, a quick pee walk, then in and fed. Wait 30-45 minutes and take him back out for a half hour or so walk before it gets too hot. For now he's going to be crated while I go to work, until I'm sure that I'm dog-proof. As I mentioned earlier, I thought I was until the rescue pointed out that the ferret toys could be deadly. When I get home from work around 5:30 I'll take him for a quick walk and then he'll do his thing in the family room with me until about 9:00. Then I'll take him for a 20-30 minute walk and it will be bedtime. I'm hoping that a week from now he'll sleep in the crate with the door open at night. :goodvibes

He may have been kept in the racing kennel for year either because of injury that they felt he may come back from or it could have been that they were looking for another "cheaper" track to run him at......just some thoughts, cause usually a trainer will not keep a dog in a kennel just for company or to feed, it takes away from their bottom line, at that point they are usually returned to their owner, back to the farm (for breeding etc) or placed for adoption. We did have a few trainers that would "hold" them until we could find foster homes or take them ourselves.

I was wondering if they had him at the farm to breed and it just didn't work out. :confused3 I'm told he hasn't had any injuries, and he's got no scars or limp or favoring, so who knows. He's here with me now, and that's the important part. :thumbsup2 :goodvibes Thanks so much for your advice, it's been great--I'm sure I'll have questions as time goes on.

Anne

He's so pretty. I'd so love a greyhound. :love:

Is he neutered?

Also, I'd recommend you read Cesar's Way, by Cesar Millan, and watch his shows if you haven't already (National Geographic channel). He doesn't really tell you how to train or anything, but he's taught me so much about dog psychology. I grew up around dogs (my grandfather was a dog catcher and kept probably half the dogs he caught) and a lot of things I just knew from being around them, but there is so much more I have to learn.

Thanks for the tip on the book. He's nuetered, it was done about two weeks ago, and he's all healed.

Anne

As far as him pooping, dogs have a pretty straight digestive tract. If he hasn't eaten (and I think you mentioned that yesterday), then he probably doesn't have anything in him.

Chloe usually will go within an hour of eating. She can hold it much longer than that though.

He's very pretty. Even prettier than his Petfinder photo!

As far as him pooping, dogs have a pretty straight digestive tract. If he hasn't eaten (and I think you mentioned that yesterday), then he probably doesn't have anything in him.

Chloe usually will go within an hour of eating. She can hold it much longer than that though.

He's very pretty. Even prettier than his Petfinder photo!

He went this morning, and it wasn't such a good thing. He ate about half his food last night, and I walked him a couple of times after, and he wasn't interested in pooping or peeing. I took him out at 6:00 this morning, and he pee'd and pee'd. No interest in poop. I took him out again around 7:30 and he seemed like he was thinking about pooping, but didn't. We were out for about 15 minutes. So I brought him back in and took the ferrets with me into the bathroom while I took a quick shower. A minute after I got out he was whining at my bedroom door. I figured it was seperation anxiety. I got dressed as fast as I could, and walked out the bedroom door, and the smell hit me right away. He had made a real mess in the foyer. Penned the ferrets, crated Skeet (I didn't fuss at him for the accident, I truly think his system is in an uproar right now and he just doesn't have the control he would normally have) and cleaned it all up.

He had no interest in eating this morning, and seemed a bit lethargic, I think his tummy was bothering him. He did eat a bit after he went though. We'll go for a walk again in a bit, right now he's sleeping and seems very content.

Anne

He went this morning, and it wasn't such a good thing. He ate about half his food last night, and I walked him a couple of times after, and he wasn't interested in pooping or peeing. I took him out at 6:00 this morning, and he pee'd and pee'd. No interest in poop. I took him out again around 7:30 and he seemed like he was thinking about pooping, but didn't. We were out for about 15 minutes. So I brought him back in and took the ferrets with me into the bathroom while I took a quick shower. A minute after I got out he was whining at my bedroom door. I figured it was seperation anxiety. I got dressed as fast as I could, and walked out the bedroom door, and the smell hit me right away. He had made a real mess in the foyer. Penned the ferrets, crated Skeet (I didn't fuss at him for the accident, I truly think his system is in an uproar right now and he just doesn't have the control he would normally have) and cleaned it all up.

Awwww, bless his heart. He sounds so stressed out right now. I wouldn't have said a word either. I'd have just cleaned it up and moved on.

I know Chloe would rather die than go inside the house.

Does he have diarrhea?

He had no interest in eating this morning, and seemed a bit lethargic, I think his tummy was bothering him. He did eat a bit after he went though. We'll go for a walk again in a bit, right now he's sleeping and seems very content.

Max, my sister's dog, didn't eat for over 24 hours. His stomach was gurgling something fierce the whole time, and he acted like he couldn't get comfortable. He drank water and slept, and that was about it.

Right as I was going to take him to the vet, I tried feeding him again, and he scarfed it down, and has been eating good ever since. I think dogs know how to shut themselves down when they're not up to par. I truly think Max was depressed.

Awwww, bless his heart. He sounds so stressed out right now. I wouldn't have said a word either. I'd have just cleaned it up and moved on.

I know Chloe would rather die than go inside the house.

Does he have diarrhea?

It was pretty loose. His tummy is still gurling a bit, and I'm going to keep an eye on him today. If he has loose stools again I'll mix some rice in with his food. New food, new water, new house, I'd have an upset tummy too!

Both of the foster homes he was in said he had been 100%, so I think he just couldn't wait. Poor guy.

Anne

It was pretty loose. His tummy is still gurling a bit, and I'm going to keep an eye on him today. If he has loose stools again I'll mix some rice in with his food. New food, new water, new house, I'd have an upset tummy too!

Both of the foster homes he was in said he had been 100%, so I think he just couldn't wait. Poor guy.

Anne

I have a Bland Diet recipe from my vet, if you, or anyone else wants it. I've had to use it about four times with Chloe.

It consists of rice, water and lean beef. It makes enough for a couple of days of food.

I have a Bland Diet recipe from my vet, if you, or anyone else wants it. I've had to use it about four times with Chloe.

It consists of rice, water and lean beef. It makes enough for a couple of days of food.

That would be great if you'd like to take the time to type it up. I'd really like to get Skeet's tummy troubles over. He just passed some gas, I could smell it on the other side of the room! :eek:

Anne

That would be great if you'd like to take the time to type it up. I'd really like to get Skeet's tummy troubles over. He just passed some gas, I could smell it on the other side of the room! :eek:

Anne

There's not too much to it!

Bland Diet

• 2 1/2 cups of water
  • 1 cup of long-cooking rice
  • 1/2 tsp of salt
  • 1/4 lbs of ground beef

Put all ingredients together in pot and boil for 20-25 minutes. Don't pre-cook meat. Keep in refrigerator and feed for 2-5 days.

It says to boil it for 20-25 minutes, but mine never took that long. The whole point is to boil out the water and end up with cooked rice. I also purchased low-fat beef. I'd start weaning her back on her food the last day, by mixing her regular food into the rice mixture.

And I can sympathize about the gas. Chloe is the queen of farts! :scared:

He is just beautiful. I remember how much fun we had watching our Chloe learn to play with toys, learning that she could put her head in our laps and watching her personality develop. I probably have the only greyhound in the universe who would do this but just when we thought we were dog proof she went after the bar soap! I couldn't believe it but we went to body wash in the tubs/showers and Softsoap at the sinks and that ended that problem!

Anne, you could also use ground turkey instead of the beef, we used to use that concoction when they first came home, since their diet in the kennel was usually a "soft" mix. Trainers used, mostly the beef (and believe it was not the lean stuff, ground turkey and sometimes horse meat) they mixed it with veggies, and sometimes pasta.
But the bland diet mentioned above would probably be a good transition food then you can start added more and more dry kibble to it. The diet in the kennels is one of the reasons alot of greyhounds have teeth problems, it's very soft.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter