Gripe Report

DavAlb

Earning My Ears
So this is meant to gripe a little, provide a warning and offer hints to be helpful.

Got back Sunday night after a week in the parks with my wife and 12 y/o son. We have been going to Disney for over 20 years, this was probably our 12th or 13th trip so I'm fairly in the know.

In no particular order . . .

a. Family/Group T-shirts is a thing now. Not sure why. And not sure when someone picked a black shirt they were thinking ahead to it being 90 degrees and humid.

b. EPCOT on a Saturday night - can't recommend unless you are a roving pack of bros & ho's drinking yourself stupid around the world. It was super crowded, like nothing I've ever seen, don't know if the dining and drinks promotion were bringing them in but every drink and food cart was 40-50 deep line. They were loud, drunk, obnoxious and organized by T-shirts. Walked three countries without seeing security but I did count 7 people smoking in the main route including a cigar puffer. Of course the first security guard I did finally see was in England and he was apparently working as a bouncer keeping people from trying to enter the pub via the side door but doing nothing about the smokers outside. Maybe Disney will get sued when these drunkards kill themselves driving home after 12 drinks but for now I'm sure Di$ney loves their money.

IMG_20151017_153854_633.jpg

c. Speaking of security, my wife was literally run down by a rental stroller at night at MK near Splash Mountain. The person who hit her then ran off with the stroller and didn't stop at all - I thought hit and run was a crime. Wouldn't it be reasonable to have a security presence to prevent people from running with a stroller at night? So a family helped her into a nearby shop and the medic wrapped an ice pack on her injured ankle and I pushed her in a wheelchair the next couple hours as we hoped the swelling would go down.

d. Electric scooters are everywhere now, and not just used by the handicapped elderly. Seems like a tipping point has been reached as I saw 20-30 y/o's and teens in them now, mother-daughter teams, etc. The vast majority seem to be rentals and the drivers, maybe because they don't normally use them, tend to go too fast and hit their horns if you have the audacity to be walking in their way. I think WALL-E was on to something.

image.jpg
WALL_E.jpg

e. Resort pools - Stayed at Wilderness Lodge for a few nights then moved to Coronado - both pools had these obnoxious DJ music set-ups going in the afternoon. Thumping disco pop music and a girl on a mic trying to get line dancing going. It was ludicrous. At most, I saw 4 or 5 elementary age girls dancing while 100 other pool guests had to suffer through the noise pollution. I'm not expecting a quiet pool since I'm going with my son but this nonsense has to stop. Be warned to take ear plugs.

f. Dole Whips - at MK, I thought they had discontinued it since when we got to Adventureland it was our first stop at the stand that we had been hitting for 20 years and they were only selling orange/vanilla ice cream swirls. Luckily and bigger better multiple line stand had been opened behind Aladdin's ride IIRC.

g. Wilderness Lodge dining - three meals, three problems. 1. The Roaring Fork quick serve isn't quick anymore. They redesigned the flow/layout and instead of grabbing a hot breakfast sandwich you get a number and they bring it out to your table. Great, except that it took 24 minutes. Not quick, no good. Avoid it. 2. Then there was dinner on a reservation at the Whispering Canyon the first night - multiple empty tables in view and the hostess told us it would take 15 minutes to be seated. Then she had them seat us in the back room and I was hitting my knees trying to get into that seat (different than the rest of the tables there) so we asked to be in the main dining area and she made us wait again to be seated even though there were tables open everywhere. When we voiced our concern to our server she said that the hostess was actually the manager! 3. Whispering Canyon a couple days later, again a reservation for breakfast. Ordered the all you can eat skillet for three. Took over twenty minutes for what should be a basic meal for this restaurant. Then for the refill another twenty minutes and it only included 2 strips of bacon for three people, asked immediately for additional bacon, especially for my son who loves it and it didn't come until we were ready to go. Sort of got the feeling it was a concerted effort to slow things down to cut costs.

h. The Fast Pass pre-planning ticket rez is a great thing, seems like more people should take advantage since it makes your day more efficient and minimizes back-tracking. Still though, according to my wife's fit-bit we walked 58 miles in 6 days. Need a vacation from my vacation.

Hope this helps someone out there . . .

Last edited:
"Sounds like you should have rented a scooter ;)"

Nah, I take pride in my dogs barking after a long day in the parks. Besides, I tend to road rage just a wee bit on my daily commute so I shouldn't be driving a scooter down there and losing patience.

Sorry you had a less-than-fabulous trip. Sometimes people suck and it seems like they try to ruin the fun for everyone else. The best thing you can do is ignore the idiots and just keep having an awesome time with your family. That being said, your wife being run down by a stroller is a bigger deal than just "people suck" and I'm sorry that security didn't see it happen and do something about it. I've been bumped by a few strollers and it drives me nuts...can't imagine how mad I would be if I actually got injured from it.

Sorry you had a less-than-fabulous trip. Sometimes people suck and it seems like they try to ruin the fun for everyone else. The best thing you can do is ignore the idiots and just keep having an awesome time with your family. That being said, your wife being run down by a stroller is a bigger deal than just "people suck" and I'm sorry that security didn't see it happen and do something about it. I've been bumped by a few strollers and it drives me nuts...can't imagine how mad I would be if I actually got injured from it.

All in all a good time, don't get me wrong. We had fun, ate a lot and still lost 5 lbs from the walking.

One really positive was that Disney had cancelled some dining reservations somehow or something and when my wife called to see what was up they reinstated them AND then added bonus fast passes to our account, two per person per day for the week for her inconvenience. Doesn't cost them anything but it sure made our trip better for a kid who mostly wanted to go on thrill rides over and over. Maybe that tidbit of info could be useful to someone else having a customer service issue.

It may be our last trip though (since my younger son is 12 and my older one is 16 - he was on a school trip elsewhere) at least until we are grandparents. Which I hope isn't for another 10-15 years. And by then I may legitimately need that scooter.

There are a few that I can at least explain for you.

a. Family/Group T-shirts is a thing now. Not sure why. And not sure when someone picked a black shirt they were thinking ahead to it being 90 degrees and humid.
You can probably thank Pintrest for this one. It has become popular for a few reasons,
a) planners thinking ahead to the photos at the end of the trip. When you drop over $100 on pictures you want them to look good.
b) When there are small children in the group it becomes an added built in safety because if the small child should get separated from the group it becomes easier to get the child back where they belong quicker.
c) When separating from your group it makes it easier to meet back up later. Especially when the shirts in question are a matching color.

f. Dole Whips - at MK, I thought they had discontinued it since when we got to Adventureland it was our first stop at the stand that we had been hitting for 20 years and they were only selling orange/vanilla ice cream swirls. Luckily and bigger better multiple line stand had been opened behind Aladdin's ride IIRC.
They switched Aloha Isle and Sunshine Terrace (I think that's what that one is called) back in Early Spring (April I think) The switch was rumored to have something to do with the new jungle restaurant getting ready to open.

There are a few that I can at least explain for you.

You can probably thank Pintrest for this one. It has become popular for a few reasons,
a) planners thinking ahead to the photos at the end of the trip. When you drop over $100 on pictures you want them to look good.
b) When there are small children in the group it becomes an added built in safety because if the small child should get separated from the group it becomes easier to get the child back where they belong quicker.
c) When separating from your group it makes it easier to meet back up later. Especially when the shirts in question are a matching color.

They switched Aloha Isle and Sunshine Terrace (I think that's what that one is called) back in Early Spring (April I think) The switch was rumored to have something to do with the new jungle restaurant getting ready to open.

Maybe I'm anti-social and/or maybe I would hate to be associated with my extended family but I wouldn't want to wear matching T-shirts for those reasons. Although I can almost see your second point, almost. It is slightly better than those who have their toddlers on a leash.

Groucho said it best: I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
Groucho_Marx.jpg

Re Dole Whips, the new stand did have 5 lines running at once, was much quicker way to get my fix.

Maybe I'm anti-social and/or maybe I would hate to be associated with my extended family but I wouldn't want to wear matching T-shirts for those reasons. Although I can almost see your second point, almost. It is slightly better than those who have their toddlers on a leash.

Well for all that being said I'll say this.... DH and I would be leary to travel with pretty much most of our extended family. As much as we may love them.

As for the safety thing, often times it ends up negated when they slap the kids name right on the front of the shirt for all the world to read and know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter