Grocery shopping during Coronavirus?

I wanted hamburger meat. I didn’t realize until late in the game how much we use that in meals. Only thing at one grocery store was chicken FEET. Absolutely nothing at other, well let’s try that overpriced meat market. Now as an aside, I will NOT wait in a Disney/Universal line for longer than 30 minutes. I calmly waited 20 minutes to get INTO the store and then an additional 30 to get to the counter. The owner kept reassuring everyone they would be open 12-630 everyday and they WOULD not run out. I happily purchased 10lbs of hamburger and 2 corned beefs. There were no limits, no stress and no worries! Add to that the local fruit and veggie stand was just opening on my way in and I was able to get potatoes, carrots, bell peppers, onions and a sack of rice.

I've definitely spent a lot more than normal weeks, but I also stocked smart (extra flour, yeast, sugar, baking powder, canned evaporated milk, frozen veggies and fruits, and meats that I can make stretch in stews, casseroles and soups). If things go sideways, we are good for quite a few weeks and have enough to help feed others if they get stuck. If things turn around, I will have several REALLY cheap food shopping weeks :)

Over the weekend, I made a calendar listing out all of the meals for my DH and me for the rest of March, putting items that would be more likely to expire sooner earlier on the calendar. Then I figured out what ingredients/items I was missing and did a big shopping trip on Monday morning. My plan is to not go to the grocery store until April at the earliest - we're stocked! My only concern is milk. I bought quite a bit, but my husband has already finished a half gallon since Monday. I was very clear with him today that once it's out, it's out.

We were up at DD house for a week. Left our county with no cases, came back to 20 ( today it's 42) Before we left we got a few fresh items and DD also bought a half gallon of organic ultra pasteurized milk. It has a sell by date of April 19 !!!!

Today for the first time we used Walmart pickup. Sure, someone has to pick out the food and brings it out to you, but I figured better than walking around the store and waiting in line.

Before and after pickup I used hand sanitizer, came home, put on gloves, took groceries out of walmart bags (left them outside the house) and brought in just the groceries. Used hand sanitizer a few times.

A little crazy??? maybe, but DH is 75.

We've been primarily once a week shoppers for many years now. We've got meal planning and careful list making and knowing what we need for a week down to a science for our family. Usually we buy one full week's worth of meals, plus a few extra ingredients to keep our basics stocked. (So even if we didn't plan to cook rice one week, if we were running low, we'd put it on the list and buy it then instead of waiting until the nest time we planned a rice based meal or side.)

Now, we're striving for once a week or less even more to avoid multiple exposure to a store full of people. Before, we might run out once a week or so to get just one or two things that we forgot or the store was out of, etc. Now, if something runs out, we're just living without it, and if a meal is missing an ingredient we substitute or do without.

Our last trip to the store was Saturday morning. I was primarily shopping for other family members, but I did pick up a handful of extra items for us to go along with what we bought during our regular trip on Friday. I don't really want to shop over the weekend (including Friday) because I figure they still will be busier days. So I'm hoping to make it through to Monday if possible before we hit a store again. Our saving grace will be that we will get produce in the mail on Thursday, so we won't run out of that before Monday.

Chicago's stores by me are hit and miss. I have been in the stores a few times in the last week. Mostly, out of curiosity. Different stores each time. Toilet paper always gone. Thankfully, my husband recently over bought that. I even had enough to share with my neighbor. I use almond milk, but my husband will only use whole milk. I went to Aldi with my son last night, and he bought 2 gallons of milk. They were out of a lot of things, but had the basics. Bread, vegetables, dairy items. can goods. He is a huge milk drinker. I only buy 1/2 gallons. I am well stocked, but that is my normal. I rotate my food so that I use things before they expire. I have a monthly food budget, and once I spend it for the month, I stop buying. It's a challenge to use what you have, rather than run to the store for a few ingredients. That's a pitfall. Go to the store for one or two things, and come home with a few sacks of food. I wish everyone well/luck feeding their family during this hard time.

We always buy in bulk/Costco sized items and have a freezer, so it's mostly produce that I buy week to week. A few weeks ago, I bought some canned goods in preparation, but otherwise, our freezer is packed. I am really, really trying to limit going to the store to once every week or two, as it's a source of possibly catching (or giving) the virus. We are being super creative in order not to throw any produce away. Today's lunch was Korean daikon soup, and not only was it delicious, but I used up that last daikon radish that's been sitting in the fridge for a month.

Within the past year or so I stopped buying meat and freezing it. I'd only buy what I'd need for a week and then re-shop because I think it tasted better when it's fresher. That, of course, has now changed. It's now a matter of what meat I can find at the store. Last week when the email and texts went out that schools were closing, it was a madhouse at the grocery stores and meat is still hard to find. Supermarkets in my area are closing early so they can restock and clean the store(s). Some stores have made special hours to only seniors can shop. It's hit or miss, you never know when a truck is coming in or what's in it. On the local news this evening they said that trucks are rolling and stores are restocking it's the demand that's the problem.

Luckily we are fairly well stocked in a lot of things so it is just a few little things that we are needing to get. If we could get all the things that we still need: Rice, All Purpose Flour, Powdered Milk, Yeast, Peanut Butter possibly some more cream soups, popcorn, cookies. Also if we can get either a 2 1/2 or 5 dozen count of eggs. We have a Hutterite Colony that provides them to some stores in my area in that size along with an 18 and 12 count. We normally buy the 2 1/2 unless we are doing a lot of baking and need the eggs for that in addition to our regular eating in which case we get the 5 dozen. DH said that those were both all out when he was in the store today. (Sadly my laundry basket that I got when my youngest was born is just about dead so since we were in town to deliver the last of the kids fruit sale deliveries today and were literally half a block from the store we decided to use a little cash to get me a new one and since he was in the store DH decided to look for potatoes (he said the bin there was not only empty it was clean) and eggs.
Since DH works in the opposite direction that we were today in a larger town he went to work a bit early (he works the night shift) and checked another grocery store and was able to get a 10 pound bag of potatoes which will last us for a while especially if we can pick up other things like the rice. DH will work tonight and again tomorrow night getting off early in the morning so being at the stores when they first open in the morning is not really an option (I am asthmatic as is possibly our youngest (ER Doc had diagnosed asthma when she was 2-3 years old but her regular doctor at the time said no we don't want to give that diagnosis to a kid that young it's reactive airway. She catches everything that comes down the pike so we don't allow her to go to crowded stores this time of year under normal circumstances. Since our oldest is not driving that means DH is the one doing the shopping.
Hopefully we can get a list of what we need if we were stuck on our property which is fairly large so we could go outside and not be anywhere near anyone outside our household we could last 2-3 weeks without having to have a neighbor drop stuff at the edge of the property on the ground and call us as they are driving away to let us know it's there and we send them the payment via paypal.

I was taught young to stock up for the winter months though usually by this time of year we are not worried about if we can get to the store or not due to the roads being too dangerous to drive. We live right on a US highway though it is called by an acutal street name as well and there are times I have seen the road so bad that you better have a 4 wheel drive and chains to get through. We know if our road is like that the roads in town are not what we want to drive on.
We are planning on putting in a garden this year though we are looking at at least another month before we can even plant root crops like potatoes, and carrots with some of the later crops not being able to be planted until early to mid June due to the zone that we live in. Last year we had a late spring so it was later that the ground was not frozen or we were dealing with frost plus we had lower than normal tempatures and well over our normal moisture levels. Needless to say a lot of gardens did not take off between rot of the seeds and not getting the heat to mature the crops plus we had some grasshoppers and then add in that we got hit with winter early though it didn't last but it was enough not only to kill gardens but farmers in my area had both their sugar beets and corn harvests with a lot left in the ground due to the frost and the freeze. Luckily they were able to get the barley havest and the haying done.

Today (Wednesday) while DH was in Walmart he heard an announcement that a truck was in and they needed all available employees to come to help unload the truck so they are trying to keep trucks rolling to get us supplies. Then today (Thursday) when DH got home from work (he works for a warehouse that supplies food and a few other things like the canisters for the coke free style machines, and cleaning chemicals that places like resturants, hospitals, K12 schools, universities, and even the prisons use) that at least the grocery store warehouse in our area is outsourcing some of their stuff he pulled an order for both Albertsons and a grocery story in a small town in SouthEastern MT. He also was able to tell me that he has it from a very good source that the grocery store warehouse is going to 7 12s which their contract allows in an emergency for them to do for 14 day and then they have to give them one day off. (OH and welcome to the wacky world of a night warehouse family that due to scheduling their days overlap DH and I normally go to bed and wake up on the same day instead of going to bed at the night of one day and waking up on the next calendar day).

If everyone does not mind my asking this please if you would normally go out to eat and you are not having to tighten the belt too much and are still able to go out if there are places you would dine at open for delivery, takeout, or curbside pick up consider supporting those businesses because not only do you support your favorite place to dine you support their suppliers as well. Starting tomorrow due to their number of cases that are ordered by the places they serve that need to be pulled each night being drastically reduced DH is going in 1.5 hours later 4 of the 5 days he works this is a reduction of 15% of what he gets for hours normally this time of year if it's a slow week because it doesn't look like they are going to be working later plus chances are really high that the part time workers there will be laid off at least temporarily.

My dad and I were trading what we (ok DH for me) have found at various places and where we have found it on trying to get more stocked up. Freezing milk is out if nothing else no freezer room thanks to plenty of meat from before. Learned that I would have enough sunlight from a window on the South side of my house to bring my garden tower inside to at least get a few things started like carrots, peas, green beans, lettuce, spinach.

Just a PSA.....if you’re hard up for paper towels/napkins OR your septic system can handle it....I found the packs of party napkins untouched! And no limits! Get you some fun ones for laughs!

I actually started buying nonperishables almost a month back. Canned foods we’d stopped eating almost, dried beans, rice. Canned chicken, ravioli, canned beef in gravy, tuna, soups. I had a feeling. What I missed was canned milk. Something told me i needed to have a supply. I did NOT get toilet paper! Never again. We will always have a months supply in the future.
I plan to donate the food to a food pantry if this blows over before I need it.

We are on home quarantine, the hardest part is they put a limit on milk. I know its a good thing but one gallon last us a day. .

We are on home quarantine, the hardest part is they put a limit on milk. I know its a good thing but one gallon last us a day. .
When money was REALLY lean, we would buy one gallon of whole milk and then cut it with water to make it stretch. it's not ideal, but if you do 2/3 milk to 1/3 water it ends up tasting like 2%. I haven't gotten to that point yet, but we are absolutely treating milk as a "mealtime only" drink and drinking WAY more water through the day. Not an easy task with teen boys in the house! I'm also not using it in cooking as much and opting for either recipes that don't involve milk, or using evaporated milk for cooking.

When money was REALLY lean, we would buy one gallon of whole milk and then cut it with water to make it stretch. it's not ideal, but if you do 2/3 milk to 1/3 water it ends up tasting like 2%. I haven't gotten to that point yet, but we are absolutely treating milk as a "mealtime only" drink and drinking WAY more water through the day. Not an easy task with teen boys in the house! I'm also not using it in cooking as much and opting for either recipes that don't involve milk, or using evaporated milk for cooking.
Thats really a good idea, most of my milk goes into cereal and mac and cheese... so they wouldn't know the difference anyways.

I'm surprised how much milk my 49 year old son drinks. We were at Aldi a few days ago and he bought 2 gallons of milk, and I only bought one 1/2 gallon. My son has IBS, and he might benefit by switching to almond milk like I have, but he obviously likes the taste of whole milk, and isn't willing to give it up. Of course, almond milk is quite expensive. I mostly use it in my cereal. I have drank it on occasion, but I am mostly a tea drinker with a little whole milk in my tea. Hence, the reason for only a 1/2 gal in my Aldi cart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter