• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grocery Stop

Gandalfsbeard

Earning My Ears
What would you recommend for an August trip to buy on a grocery run? I haven't decided on transportation from airport to Hotel yet. Package has shuttle but I am thinking of getting a car for the grocery stop. With weight restrictions on flight don't know what to bring or buy in Florida. Any suggestions?

If you decide to pass on the car you can use a grocery delivery service. They have everything you would find in a store and can have it waiting for you upon arrival. www.gardengrocer.com is one. I think Wegoshop is another. We used Garden Grocer and had a great experience. Good luck.

We bring breakfast and snack items.

We get a bag of ice (initially and then restock from ice machine) and styrofoam cooler and stock the cooler with:

beer/wine
bottled water (carry to park)
milk
juice
cream cheese (in ziploc baggie so it doesn't get watered down when ice melts)

Other stuff we get:

bagels (for the cream cheese) (ask Star Service for plates and knife)
danish
donuts
cereal cups (ask Star Service for spoon)
cookies
chips
anything else the gang feels like snacking on

*We mainly eat breakfast in the room and give the kids a snack.

If you want to have groceries delivered Garden Grocer is GREAT!! If you want a car service that has a grocery stop I have used *********** and they have been GREAT!!! Good Luck and have a great trip!:banana:

The car service is ***********. I'm not sure why it wasn't spelled out in the last post.

The name of that car service has been officially blocked on this message board.

As for our grocery list: styrofoam cooler, ice, beer, water, coke, diet coke, chips and cookies.

There is a Publix on S Kirkman road that is less than 2 miles from Universal. Many of the car services will include a 30 min grocery stop if you want. Renting a car from Hertz is easy as well since there is a drop off at each of the Universal hotels.

I've used Garden Grocer twice before (i.e. didn't have a car) and they delivered everything I ordered and delivered it when they said they would. However, they do charge for delivery and their groceries are expensive when compared to standard grocery store prices (i.e $1.19 for a single apple, $3.50/lb grapes, $4.50 for 1/2 gallon of Tropicana OJ).

There is a Publix on S Kirkman road that is less than 2 miles from Universal. Many of the car services will include a 30 min grocery stop if you want. Renting a car from Hertz is easy as well since there is a drop off at each of the Universal hotels.

I've used Garden Grocer twice before (i.e. didn't have a car) and they delivered everything I ordered and delivered it when they said they would. However, they do charge for delivery and their groceries are expensive when compared to standard grocery store prices (i.e $1.19 for a single apple, $3.50/lb grapes, $4.50 for 1/2 gallon of Tropicana OJ).

I agree. I have used this service and although it was very convenient it was expensive. I have decided it would be much more cost effective to have a grocery stop and then I can get what I want and not be as limited in choices.

Thanks sooo much for the info..Now leaning for my own transportation. On the Publix site they sell almost everything we will need. Will work on when and how I get there. It will definitely pay off.

If you want a fun shopping experience, go 5 miles up Kirkman to the intersection of SR 50. At that corner is 1st Oriental Supermarket. It's definitely not a Publix, but this is an awesome supermarket. It's like grocery shopping and a tourist attraction all in one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter