Grocery Store -- Put in my place...

Not as easy as that. I live in Ontario where most food items have no tax, some items have only the provincial portion, some items have provincial and federal portion. Some items you think should be tax exempt aren't (granola is tax exempt but granola bars aren't). Anyone who gets it within $10.00 anywhere has done a really good job.

I did the calculator thing when I was in school and pretty broke. The way we did it is that if in doubt assume the higher amount, so we never were embarrassed at the counter being over. That being said I can understand if someone is REALLY bad off that wouldn't work as they wouldn't be able to buy everything they really needed. In my case it worked because although I was a broke student I was following that strict budget because I didn't want to be a burden on mom and Dad but if there had ever been something that I really needed, a medication I couldn't afford when I was sick for example, well Mom and Dad would have been very upset with me if they found out I didn't call and ask for help.

I'm lucky now that I have enough money that I don't have to worry about budgeting to within X at a store.

My pet peeve at stores for customers are people that get up to the cash register without having started to look for their method of payment. If you are off by a bit or something like that and have to find a second payment ok, but if your paying by card don't go searching your bag for the card after the cashier already rung everything up and told you total.

Did you mean round UP to the nearest dollar? If you keep rounding $3.89 and $2.49 down, you're very likely to spend over your budgeted amount.

I round down in my head when there is a super special price for a particular item, but you need to spend a minimum of, say $50, to get that price.

Yes, I totally did mean round up. Thanks.

I've always mentally tallied my purchases (and rounded up). It's a habit, something I've always done and will continue...as long as my feeble old mind can add ;)

I have no issue with folks using calculators and/or clogging aisles. I'm glad they are cost conscious. ::yes::

Around here, life still goes on when mom's sick. Dad gets to get under the car when it's zero degrees out and the tire is flat or he gets to dig the car out when it gets stuck in a foot of mud and ice in the alley like it did last week. I got to get into the other car and get to work on time and not get all muddy. And I get to go to the store when I'm not feeling good.

I feel it's a fair trade-off.
Things are less gender specific in my household, though there are things he does (heavy shoveling, etc) that I can't do because of my herniated discs. If I'm sick, DH would go to the store.

That was very nice of you to pay the rest for her! :) You didn't even have to mention your thoughts. They belong to you and by God I hope you don't feel like you have to censor your thoughts!!

Doing what she did for the mom in distress was a considerate thing to do. Nice to see someone doing the right thing, the thought process that led her to that course of action is irrelevant.

Why not just order some pizza or other delivery? Or have breakfast for dinner?

The poor woman was probably flustered by someone behind her sighing because it was taking so long. Honestly, I know very few people who would get bent out of shape over $5.00. If they couldn't find an alternate card for whatever reason, they'd just void an item and go on their way.

Just use this thing that my mother used. Never any backups. I think it went up to $19.99. Quite sufficient for today's needs. ;)

Did you mean round UP to the nearest dollar? If you keep rounding $3.89 and $2.49 down, you're very likely to spend over your budgeted amount.

I round down in my head when there is a super special price for a particular item, but you need to spend a minimum of, say $50, to get that price.

When someone said calculator, this is the first thing I thought of. Yes I am old enough to have used one at the store. If I looked hard enough I may find one still around here.

I've always mentally tallied my purchases (and rounded up). It's a habit, something I've always done and will continue...as long as my feeble old mind can add ;)

I have no issue with folks using calculators and/or clogging aisles. I'm glad they are cost conscious. ::yes::

Lol the reason I had to bring the calculator wasn't the doing math, it was that I would get talking half way through my trip and forget what the number had been.

Things are less gender specific in my household, though there are things he does (heavy shoveling, etc) that I can't do because of my herniated discs. If I'm sick, DH would go to the store.

Those are 2 specific examples of many, although I did pick them because men do tend to take care of that kind of stuff for their wives more often than a wife does for her husband. (and both just happened to us!)

He also vacuums. I clean bathrooms. He cleans our bedroom and changes the sheets on the bed. I do all of the laundry. He sometimes helps fold.

I do the gardening and take care of the bills. He takes out the garbage and we both shovel snow.

Neither of us are very good about doing "extra" things for each other when we are sick. Things need to get done, they get done. We don't baby each other. We are both OK with that. Not that we wouldn't go to the store for each other, but it's certainly not the "make or break" of our relationship. And honestly, I don't baby myself, so I probably wouldn't even ask him to go, nor tell him I need to. I would just...go myself. No big deal.

So, it's really not so much about men vs woman, it's about the fact that just because one married couple does things one way, and another does things another way, doesn't mean we should decree it "sad" and be so intent on using that word to sanctimoniously put the OP's relationship down with.

And anyway, OP's husband has nothing to do with this thread.

Last edited:
Most everyone profiles as it is human nature. You had a belief, proved yourself wrong and did a nice thing. It's that simple. Anyone that tells you that they don't make snap judgments about people is not being truthful, it's how they act on those judgments can be the problem

I agree. The way our brains work is to automatically categorize stuff in order to more efficiently filter the tons of information we receive on a daily basis. We then decide whether those categories are valid or not. So it's not the random explanations of a situation that might go through your head that matter. It's how you choose to act in response to those ideas. (And the OP chose a kind response, overriding the thoughts she rightly determined weren't fair.)

I know older folks who were raised in a very prejudiced time. I don't fault them for outdated ideas that pop into their heads because I know they consciously override those thoughts and do the right thing.

sorry but you should not judge other people, you never know when your luck could run out and you could be that person.

Thankfully I'm not in a position where I need to worry about being that accurate, but grocery shopping with a fussy baby makes calculating to the penny much more difficult. I've been in that position myself and the last thing I want to do is stand there with my handy dandy calculator while I make sure I account for every penny, tax.

It is more about not wasting money and being more accountable, if I have a budget and calculator I can keep my grocery bill to what it should be. The more money people have the more it gets wasted.

I honestly didn't realise using a calculator whilst shopping would cause such a drama. Has never been a problem where I live and yes I have done it with a baby in tow.

It is more about not wasting money and being more accountable, if I have a budget and calculator I can keep my grocery bill to what it should be. The more money people have the more it gets wasted.

I honestly didn't realise using a calculator whilst shopping would cause such a drama. Has never been a problem where I live and yes I have done it with a baby in tow.

I am the queen of budgeting so I understand what you are saying, but this person was only $5 over!

I don't know how this discussion became so focused on using a calculator in the store anyway. That customer obviously didn't use one. It isn't my place to tell a shopper that they should bring a calculator with them next time so they don't go over budget. Not everyone at the grocery store is going to buy the things I buy, budget the way I budget, pay the way I pay. The only thing I have control over is whether I judge them for it or not.

I am the queen of budgeting so I understand what you are saying, but this person was only $5 over!

I don't know how this discussion became so focused on using a calculator in the store anyway. That customer obviously didn't use one. It isn't my place to tell a shopper that they should bring a calculator with them next time so they don't go over budget. Not everyone at the grocery store is going to buy the things I buy, budget the way I budget, pay the way I pay. The only thing I have control over is whether I judge them for it or not.

You posted "I wish I could be as accurate" a few pages back, I first quoted you on it and offered the tip of the calculator. I was not referring to the person who was $5.00 over. I was referring to YOU and your post.

Sorry for offering help/advice or a tip. I thought these forums where for people to advise, help, vent and general discussion.

You said you wish you could before accurate, I offered a tip, you didn't understand I was TALKING TO YOU, so best we move on.

You posted "I wish I could be as accurate" a few pages back, I first quoted you on it and offered the tip of the calculator. I was not referring to the person who was $5.00 over. I was referring to YOU and your post.

Sorry for offering help/advice or a tip. I thought these forums where for people to advise, help, vent and general discussion.

You said you wish you could before accurate, I offered a tip, you didn't understand I was TALKING TO YOU, so best we move on.

I didn't mean it like that, but I see where you are coming from. I also posted that I am lucky enough that I don't have to calculate my grocery purchases down to the penny. I meant I was impressed that someone without a calculator and with a baby would be able to buy $150+ worth of groceries and come that close to being exact. I think this mom did a great job. If she had $150 cash and $450 worth of groceries....not so impressive and I'd be ticked. I wouldn't have even batted an eye at $5 and would have happily helped her out.

And by the way, I never said not to offer advice. I don't care. I was just pointing out that this seems to have gotten off topic by quite a bit since the person in question didn't use a calculator.

I read this today, and it reminded me of this thread (Not my story)

Love What Matters
https://www.facebook.com/lovewhatre...1828.691679627521105/1045019462187118/?type=3
"Yesterday Matt was sick. I picked up Archie from the sitter and Eloise from school and decided to run to Target for a few things. I had hoped to be in and out quickly.

I found a line with just one person ahead of me and began organizing my items on the conveyor. After placing my items, I look up to see that the person ahead of me was an elderly woman. She was paying for her items with change and wanted to purchase each separately. Part of me, the part that had a long day at work, the part of me who had a 1 1/2 year old having a melt down in the cart, the part that had set an unnecessary timeline for Target and getting home, was frustrated with this woman and the inconvenience she had placed on me.

BUT then I watched the young employee with this woman. I watched him help her count her change, ever so tenderly taking it from her shaking hands. I listened to him repeatedly saying 'yes, mam' to her. When she asked if she had enough to buy a reusable bag, he told her she did and went two lines over to get one for her and then repackaged her items. Never once did this employee huff, gruff or roll his eyes. He was nothing but patient and kind.

As I was watching him, I saw that Eloise was too. She was standing next to the woman, watching the employee count the change. I realized I hadn't been inconvenienced at all. That my daughter was instead witnessing kindness and patience and being taught this valuable lesson by a complete stranger; furthermore, I realized that I too needed a refresher on this lesson.

When the woman was finished, the employee began ringing up my items and thanked me for my patience. I then thanked him for teaching us patience and kindness by his treatment of that elderly woman. And although my timeline for Target was askew, when he was finished I pushed my cart through the store trying to find the manager. I wanted her to know of the employee's, kindness and patience, and how much it meant to me. After tracking her down and sharing the story with her, we left Target with a cart full of consumable items, but what is more, a heart full of gratitude for such an invaluable lesson.

If you are ever in the Glendale Target, give Ishmael a smile and a nod. The world could use more people like him."

Photo courtesy of Sarah Owen Bigler

I read this today, and it reminded me of this thread (Not my story)

Love What Matters
"Yesterday Matt was sick. I picked up Archie from the sitter and Eloise from school and decided to run to Target for a few things. I had hoped to be in and out quickly.

I found a line with just one person ahead of me and began organizing my items on the conveyor. After placing my items, I look up to see that the person ahead of me was an elderly woman. She was paying for her items with change and wanted to purchase each separately. Part of me, the part that had a long day at work, the part of me who had a 1 1/2 year old having a melt down in the cart, the part that had set an unnecessary timeline for Target and getting home, was frustrated with this woman and the inconvenience she had placed on me.

BUT then I watched the young employee with this woman. I watched him help her count her change, ever so tenderly taking it from her shaking hands. I listened to him repeatedly saying 'yes, mam' to her. When she asked if she had enough to buy a reusable bag, he told her she did and went two lines over to get one for her and then repackaged her items. Never once did this employee huff, gruff or roll his eyes. He was nothing but patient and kind.

As I was watching him, I saw that Eloise was too. She was standing next to the woman, watching the employee count the change. I realized I hadn't been inconvenienced at all. That my daughter was instead witnessing kindness and patience and being taught this valuable lesson by a complete stranger; furthermore, I realized that I too needed a refresher on this lesson.

When the woman was finished, the employee began ringing up my items and thanked me for my patience. I then thanked him for teaching us patience and kindness by his treatment of that elderly woman. And although my timeline for Target was askew, when he was finished I pushed my cart through the store trying to find the manager. I wanted her to know of the employee's, kindness and patience, and how much it meant to me. After tracking her down and sharing the story with her, we left Target with a cart full of consumable items, but what is more, a heart full of gratitude for such an invaluable lesson.

If you are ever in the Glendale Target, give Ishmael a smile and a nod. The world could use more people like him."

Photo courtesy of Sarah Owen Bigler

What an awesome story. Thanks for sharing it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter