Ground level rooms facing the pool

OffToDWD

DIS Veteran
Just wondering what your thoughts are on ground level rooms - facing the pool (I'm assuming it's still considered Pool View, not Island View?). Can you come and go using the sliding door in the room (can you lock/unlock from the outside)? We generally request high floor but thought it may be fun to try ground floor if available.
Thanks!

Yes, those are our favorite rooms. You cannot, as I recall, lock from the outside. But as long as one person stays back in the room to lock the sliding door, it's a wonderfully convenient way to get to everything.

No you can not access rooms from ground level.
But I got lucky with a ground level last NYE and now have requested it again for NYE at BLT.
It was nice to allow my grandchildren the “ outdoors” while I could sit on balcony To keep an eye on them. Normally I would hope for upper level view of lake, etc.

Yes you can come and go through the sliding door, but you can not lock it from the outside. Another benefit of being on the ground floor is if you do leave through the main romm door it is a quick walk to the pool.

One more question - does the ground level rooms have patio furniture so we can sit outside the room? It'd be nice to still be able to eat out on the "balcony"! Thanks!

Yes it does. Each room has a little area roughly the size of a balcony on the upper rooms with the same furniture. It's kind of fun to sit out there in the morning with coffee or in the evening with a cocktail or glass of wine and just soak in the atmosphere!

No guarantee. One of the ground floors that I checked into had a jungle growing and could not use outdoor area! Fortunately it was for only one night...

Those rooms do not appeal to us. Way too much traffic flow in front of your lanai with no privacy. And as other's have said, you can't even lock/unlock it from the outside to have faster access to the pool.

I have read these posts with interest as we are headed to Aulani in late June 2021. I am interested on any insight on best room type and locations, places to eat, ans things to do in addition to the pool and beach. Is there a airport to hotel transfer included in stay? Is there transportation provided to other points of interest? We were going to use the balance of our DVC points in the fall of 2021. We were told they MUST be used by the end of July soooooooooo we decided a trip to Hawaii was in order. We are so familiar with WDW but have no clue, insight, and tips on a trip to Aulani. Please share your expertise and experiences with us.

I suggest you do a little research on your own, then come back with specific questions, @Blondie58 . The way you posed your question would be the same as if someone said "I've never been to WDW and am planning a trip there. What should I do, where should I stay, how do I get there from the airport?"

I suggest you do a little research on your own, then come back with specific questions, @Blondie58 . The way you posed your question would be the same as if someone said "I've never been to WDW and am planning a trip there. What should I do, where should I stay, how do I get there from the airport?"
Thank you for the suggestion Iceman93. For sure I will be doing so but oemfolks on these blogs have such great tips. I am very familiar with WDW and OFTEN answer questions of folks that have never been to WDW on where to stay, transportation options, how to do fast-passes, ADR, Tables in Wonderland, APs, how early to book, other things to do on not park days, favorite places to eat, favorite tours etc. Recently I did an entire spreadsheet answering all the basic questions to my best ability and forwarded it to a friend for her son and daughter-in-law. (They know we go to WDW a couple times a year.) I also did the same for an attorney of a friend. Both have young children and have never been to WDW. Thank you for the time it took to answer my post. Merry Christmas.

I have read these posts with interest as we are headed to Aulani in late June 2021. I am interested on any insight on best room type and locations, places to eat, ans things to do in addition to the pool and beach. Is there a airport to hotel transfer included in stay? Is there transportation provided to other points of interest? We were going to use the balance of our DVC points in the fall of 2021. We were told they MUST be used by the end of July soooooooooo we decided a trip to Hawaii was in order. We are so familiar with WDW but have no clue, insight, and tips on a trip to Aulani. Please share your expertise and experiences with us.
Hi, Blondie. What I have found most helpful in terms of initial info gathering re: Aulani is to read trip reports on this forum--super helpful, IMO. That being said, we have been to Aulani twice and have a 3rd trip planned for July 3-9 this summer (this was a trip that was originally planned for last summer. alas....). We are DVC members, and one of our contracts is at Aulani (other is WDW). A few quick thoughts to get you started:

Not sure where you're traveling from, but most of us on this board recommend staying as long as possible, as the travel is long and can be arduous, and the time difference is hard for some, so it takes a few days to adjust. You may want to consider a split stay, which could mean staying part of your time elsewhere on Oahu or adding another island. We try to do Aulani for about a week and another island for 4 days or so. Room choice will really depend on how long you want to stay, how large your party is, whether view is important, and whether or not you want to cook. While we LOVE Aulani, the food is lacking, in our experience. There are not enough options, it's overpriced, and it's generally just meh. The exception on quality is AMA AMA; however, it's pricey. Therefore, we prefer to be able to cook for many of our meals. As such, we need at least a one-bedroom. For us, the view isn't important, b/c we spend most time outside. We would rather stay another night and have a standard view. That being said, standard views go quickly, so don't wait. In terms of what to do, most folks like to use Aulani as a home base from which they can explore the island. Ko O'lina is somewhat remote, so I recommend renting a car. That way, you can go anywhere you want. Going all the way to Hawaii to just sit around the resort is a huge waste. ALSO, just search this board for "chairs" and you'll soon see that there aren't enough pool chairs, and the situation can become untenable at times. There are entire long threads about this, so I won't say any more. You may want to consider renting a cabana or other seating options (we love the executive lanai) to ensure that you have ample and comfy seating for your traveling group if there are days you plan to just "pool it" all day. Happy to answer specific questions if you have them.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on ground level rooms - facing the pool (I'm assuming it's still considered Pool View, not Island View?). Can you come and go using the sliding door in the room (can you lock/unlock from the outside)? We generally request high floor but thought it may be fun to try ground floor if available.
Thanks!
I agree with PP that a big con of these rooms is that there is so much foot traffic going by in close proximity. There's essentially no buffer. Its inclined to be noisy, and you'll likely want to leave your shades drawn most of the time for some privacy. Even with shades open, I would also assume that some rooms receive little to no natural light based on the angle they're at. We were on the 5th floor, but faced the courtyard of the convention space, and it was quite dark in the room most of the time.

A benefit of these rooms, aside from easy access between the walkway and your patio, is that they will be on the ground floor so you can walk right out from your room to the pool/beach and restaurants. No hassling with stairs or elevators. There were often times we found the elevators to be very slow, and in one instance, we took the stairs from the 5th floor. It would be quick and easy to pop over to Ulu to fill up mugs or bring breakfast back.

No airport transportation is provided. Most people here would highly recommend renting a car during your stay due to Aulani's isolated location, so that would also serve as your airport transportation.

Aulani offers for-cost organized tours with transportation, but they are quite expensive and offer little flexibility. Remember that Aulani is located in a planned, gated tourist community in Ko Olina which is in an isolated area on the northwestern side of the island. Not really much in walking distance, and most of the main tourist spots are at least a 20-30+ minute drive, not including traffic. It would really behoove someone to have a rental car to have control over visiting the places you want to go.

I always say that you should stay at Aulani desiring a Hawaiian vacation - not a Disney or Aulani vacation. Aulani is a great home base for a Disney fan that is visiting Hawaii, but people expecting something similar to WDW will be disappointed. People who spend their whole trip at the resort without leaving will be disappointed. There are more luxurious resorts and better beaches in other parts of the world that are closer to home and half the cost. But the natural beauty, unique spots, and culture of Hawaii is something that can't be found elsewhere, so exploring that should be a main priority.

on the northwestern side of the island.

I know you meant "southwestern". 😉 I also recommend getting a car. You will need it to get back and forth from the airport. We spent many days exploring the Island and eating at local places during the day when the pools were packed. And then spent our evenings on the beach or in the empty lazy river. While the food at Aulani is pretty good, it is resort prices and the options can be limited and repetitive. You can walk across the street but it's nice to just drive to the next town of Kapolei and eat or shop there. Some people recommend just renting at Aulani for the days that you need, but that can actually end up costing more as per day rentals are much more expensive then weekly, plus then you will still need to pay for airport transfers. They also can run out of cars during busy times. Have fun.

Last edited:
I know you meant "southwestern".
Haha I actually remembered it as being almost as far north as we could go on the highway, but now looking at a map, I see its pretty much in the middle. So to correct that, I'd say its remote as in northwest of any tourist spots one might want to visit :)

Some people recommend just renting at Aulani for the days that you need, but that can actually end up costing more as per day rentals are much more expensive then weekly, plus then you will still need to pay for airport transfers.
Is this a cash room thing? The number of DVC points required per night is based on a set schedule so there's no 'discount' for weekly stays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter