Ground Transportation in Barcelona

TestingH2O

DIS Veteran
Do most people do taxis? I've seen reports that they charge extra for luggage.

If not a taxi, any links to ground transportation companies?

We were there in 2014 and took a taxi, no problems. I don't think they charged extra. We stayed at a hotel at the top of Las Ramblas.

We are planning on taking the subway most places, although if you have a ton of luggage that could get a bit awkward. (Our family has a one-carryon bag rule no matter how long we travel. Exception is ski trips, ha!)

If you are looking at ground transportation from your hotel/airport directly to the ship your best choice is a taxi. As far as public transportation I found that the Aerobus (express bus service) from/to Placa Catalunya to be very fast and inexpensive travelling from/to the airport/hotel if you are staying near La Rambla. The bus has places for luggage.

Last edited:

We stayed in Barcelona twice the night before our cruises, and used Sun transfers both times from the airport to the hotel, and from the port to airport. To get from the hotel to the port, we used a taxi with no problems.

Claire :)

Taxis! I insisted on metro/trains and I found the system so confusing (I do not speak Catalan or Spanish) and have had zero problems with metro a pro as it in the US, but I could nit figure it out! We weren’t there long, we took taxis and I gave my metro tickets away! Ha!

We are planning on taking the subway most places, although if you have a ton of luggage that could get a bit awkward. (Our family has a one-carryon bag rule no matter how long we travel. Exception is ski trips, ha!)
The metro can get a bit stuffy in the summer. And some of those "transfer" stations require some walking between trains (I think one was about 750m)

Taxis! I insisted on metro/trains and I found the system so confusing (I do not speak Catalan or Spanish) and have had zero problems with metro a pro as it in the US, but I could nit figure it out! We weren’t there long, we took taxis and I gave my metro tickets away! Ha!
It is a bit confusing. Barca metro required me to take a minute to plan our trips before we actually stepped out. Once I knew where we were going, it usually wasn't an issue. The only time we had an issue was when we took a wrong turn coming out of Parc Guell and took forever to find a metro station.

We are planning on taking a taxi from the Airport to our Hotel; and then use Disney transportation from the Hotel to the Port and from the Port back to the Airport.

Psy

Take a taxi. The cost is negligible compared to the cruise itself when compared to the convenience. Taking the taxi will make the trip much less stressful than hauling your luggage through the subway or bus system and walking to the pier. It's quite a walk...

From the airport to the hotel, we are using Aerobus: http://www.aerobusbcn.com

From the hotel to port we have booked a tour with Barcelona Day Tours. They have a half day sightseeing tour where they pick you (and your luggage) up at your hotel, take you out for sightseeing (keeping your luggage secure), then drop you off at the port. I figure it's a win/win - extra sightseeing, no luggage to hassle with and transportation. I found the price to be very reasonable as well.

Take a taxi. The cost is negligible compared to the cruise itself when compared to the convenience. Taking the taxi will make the trip much less stressful than hauling your luggage through the subway or bus system and walking to the pier. It's quite a walk...

Oh, subway and bus was never an option. Not with 3 generations in Barcelona in the summer. o_O

I was trying to figure out if we'd actually fit in a cab or if there were good private transfer options. As you say, negligible compared to the cruise.

DCL arranged everything for us, from plane tickets to hotel, to transportation. The dock area is not far from downtown, but the pier itself to get to the Magic is a hike. You will love the city.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter