Grumpy Challenge 2017.... A Marathon Weekend TR (Updated 3/19 Final Thoughts)

I think it's hard to find restaurants to eat at during race weekend. You really have to be careful and eat things that you know won't bother your stomach or affect your running. Which can sometimes be difficult. I hope you get a chance to go back to Ohana at some point when you're not running a race the next day!
Yeah I agree however I never really had a problem with a restaurant during a race weekend until that one. It didn't have an affect on the next morning but it did affect me that night.

That bread pudding looks amazing! Sorry your stomach was upset, but thankful to hear it didn't bother you for the race the next day!

That bread pudding looks amazing! Sorry your stomach was upset, but thankful to hear it didn't bother you for the race the next day!
It was so good! I'd go back just for that. Yes I was very glad I didn't have any problems the next day. I just ate too much that night.

Ryan...your pictures are breathtaking! I love the details and the moments you captured...

Trying to eat right and run at Disney is a balancing act. I am so sorry you had Ohana revenge during the night, but glad it did not effect your race the next day.

Ryan...your pictures are breathtaking! I love the details and the moments you captured...

Trying to eat right and run at Disney is a balancing act. I am so sorry you had Ohana revenge during the night, but glad it did not effect your race the next day.
Thank you!

Yes it is. I was very happy I felt fine the next morning.

IT'S 10K TIME!

2:30AM came quickly as it always does. I got up, ate a cliff bar, and got ready for the 10K. The 10K is one of may favorite races. It's more challenging than a 5K yet not quite the challenge that a half or let alone a full marathon is.

I went down and got on the bus no problem. I arrived and didn't really have a plan to get any pre-race photos today. I went to the bathroom and looked to see if I could see the group of Dis-ers that were supposed to be meeting that morning. @DopeyBadger was easy enough to find with the sign around his neck today so I went over and met several Dis-ers. @MommaoffherRocker @Z-Knight @Disney at Heart @surfde22 and several other's who I am forgetting. It was great to meet several of them and put faces with usernames.

Then it was time to walk to the corrals. Just like the 5K I was in corral E again.

The race started soon enough.

I happened to start next to the quite famous runner Sid Busch. For those who don't know Sid he is a veteran who runs every race carrying an American flag. He as usual was running Dopey. Sid also happened to be wearing a Captain America costume.

Then our corral/wave was off!

My photos early on were quite bad.

Okay, so the first character meet was Launch pad and Scrooge. With the Ducktales theme playing I had to stop. I had never met them before. This would end up being my only meet and greet this race. The waitlist was probably 7-10 minutes.

Mr. and Mrs. Incredible were meeting but I didn't feel the urge to stop.

The stilt walkers were out so I stopped since there was no line.

Frozen Ever After boats were out backstage.

I don't know what I was trying to do here.

I don't recall who else was out meeting on 10K day but I do remember at the American Pavilion, Patriot Mickey, Goofy, and Donald were out. That was a very rare meet. They don't usually have all three together. The line wrapped all the way around the pavilion. I heard it was at least a 15 minute wait so I was like oh heck no.

You go Sid Busch!

Running by the resorts is one of my favorite parts. You run past the Boardwalk, Yacht Club, and Beach Club. They have characters outside ESPN Club usually. I think Pluto was out? Then you have a ton of people cheering and spectating around that area.

Back into Epcot we go!

Finished!

Another successful runDisney event! I actually really like the 10K medal. It was bigger and heavier than I thought it would be. I really enjoy the WDW 10K, its a lot of fun. No after pictures for this race. I grabbed my snack box, Powerade, water, and banana and headed to the bus.

We would be heading back to Epcot today!

Up Next: We go Soarin'!

Yay! 10K day!
They had the Duck Tales meet last year, but it was one of the ones that they pulled when it started raining. That's definitely a great stop!

Looks like you had a great time during the race - your photopass pictures are awesome!

Yay! 10K day!
They had the Duck Tales meet last year, but it was one of the ones that they pulled when it started raining. That's definitely a great stop!

Looks like you had a great time during the race - your photopass pictures are awesome!
I debated stopping because of the long line but was glad I did. I've never met any of the characters from that show before.

It really was a lot of fun.

The 10K is one of may favorite races. It's more challenging than a 5K yet not quite the challenge that a half or let alone a full marathon is.
The 10K seems like a good race to try. I don't consider myself a runner and I just do some jogging occasionally on my own. I have never entered an organized race. But in terms of distance, that seems like one I could do.

The 10K seems like a good race to try. I don't consider myself a runner and I just do some jogging occasionally on my own. I have never entered an organized race. But in terms of distance, that seems like one I could do.
I think it is a great distance to start with. The 10K was my first runDisney race in 2015, obviously I was hooked and now will be going for my 4th consecutive year in 2018.

So happy to read your Ohana meal didn't upset your race. I stopped for Darkwing & Launchpad in the 10k in 2016 and it was about 8 minutes waiting so similar which seemed like forever, but it was worth it , now 15+ for the Patriot Gang would have been harder to handle. I saw some video of that line and it was crazy looking, it's such a hard to decision to stop or not since the longer lines can pull you out out of any rhythm I think.

So happy to read your Ohana meal didn't upset your race. I stopped for Darkwing & Launchpad in the 10k in 2016 and it was about 8 minutes waiting so similar which seemed like forever, but it was worth it , now 15+ for the Patriot Gang would have been harder to handle. I saw some video of that line and it was crazy looking, it's such a hard to decision to stop or not since the longer lines can pull you out out of any rhythm I think.
Yeah I really wanted to wait for the patriot gang but it was just too long. Starting farther back in the corrals doesn't help with the character lines either.

Great job on the 10K! I agree with your thoughts on the race (probably my favorite at WDW besides the marathon) and on the medal - way better in person!

Great job on the 10K! I agree with your thoughts on the race (probably my favorite at WDW besides the marathon) and on the medal - way better in person!
Thanks! The marathon medal is the best of the weekend but the 10k was up there as well.

Been loving your reviews of the race. I haven't participated in any but was doing a little research (was hopeful the Wine and Dine one would overlap with the EPCOT 35th) and have to say the 10k seemed the most appealing - and the course layout looked fun

That's awesome they had Launchpad out! That would have been a must stop!

Glad you had a good race!

Been loving your reviews of the race. I haven't participated in any but was doing a little research (was hopeful the Wine and Dine one would overlap with the EPCOT 35th) and have to say the 10k seemed the most appealing - and the course layout looked fun

That's awesome they had Launchpad out! That would have been a must stop!

Glad you had a good race!
Thanks! The 10K is a lot of fun. Most if not all the 10K's at WDW are the same course.

Yeah I couldn't pass up launchpad!

You look like you are working hard, and yet stil so Zen! In all of those photopass shots!! Too bad you couldn't stop for more characters. But I love that your shoes match your outfit!

You look like you are working hard, and yet stil so Zen! In all of those photopass shots!! Too bad you couldn't stop for more characters. But I love that your shoes match your outfit!
The shoes matching was just a coincidence that day. Those are my goofy runDisney shoes which I bought back in 2015 at my first runDisney event. Those are probably one of my favorite pairs of shoes I've ever bought.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter