Guaranteeing a Connecting Room at a Marriott Property

tarheelmjfan

Proud Redhead
We're planning to stay at the Residence Inn to attend a basketball game in Tallahassee. We'd like connecting rooms for my niece & my families. What do we need to do to guarantee we get connecting rooms? How should we book?

We're planning to stay at the Residence Inn to attend a basketball game in Tallahassee. We'd like connecting rooms for my niece & my families. What do we need to do to guarantee we get connecting rooms? How should we book?

As far as I know, Residence Inn is an all-suite hotel, so I don't know that they have connecting rooms (suites). Some of them may have a two bedroom family suite, which has one bedroom with a king bed, one with two doubles or queens, and possibly a sofa bed in the living room.

Or you could get 2 adjoining rooms/suites, meaning they are next to each other or across the hall, but not connected by an interior door. And as pp said, they will try to honor your request but usually cannot guarantee it (same as for connecting rooms).

Last edited:

As far as I know, Residence Inn is an all-suite hotel, so I don't know that they have connecting rooms (suites). Some of them may have a two bedroom family suite, which has one bedroom with a king bed, one with two doubles or queens, and possibly a sofa bed in the living room.

Or you could get 2 adjoining rooms/suites, meaning they are next to each other or across the hall, but not connected by an interior door. And as pp said, they will try to honor your request but usually cannot guarantee it (same as for connecting rooms).

This is correct, your best bet at a Residence Inn is booking a 2 bedroom suite, I have yet to run across one that has true connecting rooms.

Become Marriott Platinum. Pretty sure you won't have any issues.

Platinum at Marriott is pretty good, but I doubt that they'd knock holes through walls even for that level. None of the room types at either Residence Inn in Tallahasee offer connecting rooms.

On the other hand, I am able to select "prefer non-connecting rooms" in my Marriott profile - not a big deal, but helps make things a bit quieter.

You will need to request adjoining rooms. Put this in the reservation comments, as well as contact the hotel directly during business hours.

Be sure to book both rooms on the same reservation.

You will need to request adjoining rooms. Put this in the reservation comments, as well as contact the hotel directly during business hours.

Be sure to book both rooms on the same reservation.

Adjoining just means side-by-side - doesn't mean that there is always a door between (and, in this case, there won't be as the hotels doesn't have connecting rooms).

This is correct, your best bet at a Residence Inn is booking a 2 bedroom suite, I have yet to run across one that has true connecting rooms.
We’ve done this, and have shown up to find they gave it to someone else, and were told they’d give us two one bedroom suites for the same price of the two bedroom (um, no, we ended up paying for only one one bedroom). It was DH and I, and five very young children. You are never guaranteed anything.

Thanks so much to all of you for the advice. Since most of you offered similar tips, I'll respond to everything in one post.

After I posted this last night, I told DH that they may not have connecting rooms. We've stayed there previously to see a game & our room didn't have a connecting door. I'll call to ask, but I'm sure you're all right. Oh well, scratch that. A 2 room suite was our first choice, but that won't work. Our adult DS is going, so we would need the room with a sofa bed. My niece's family is 2 adults, a 1 year old & a 2 year old. The only thing the hotel will bring in is one crib, which will not be enough room for their family. We're one bed short. If we could get one room with double beds & the other with a queen + a sofa bed, my family would take the double beds. I didn't see that option on the site though. An inflatable mattress would work for one of the rooms, but I don't think they're allowed.

Could your niece and spouse take the king bed and have their 2-year-old sleep in the bed with them? And have the baby in a crib in the same room. Then you and DH sleep in the other bedroom in the queen and your son on the sofa bed.

Not sure what the maximum occupancy for the suite is, and if children that young are counted in that number, but I would ask.

At first, I thought the second room had a queen bed. After posting here, I realized I had the wrong Residence Inn. :o The correct one has a king in the 2nd room. I got back to her to see if the king would work & am waiting on her response. Thanks again to all who gave advice.

At first, I thought the second room had a queen bed. After posting here, I realized I had the wrong Residence Inn. :o The correct one has a king in the 2nd room. I got back to her to see if the king would work & am waiting on her response. Thanks again to all who gave advice.

Just be sure to verify the bedding configuration with the hotel directly. Some of the Residence Inns have queen beds in the 2 bedrooms, it tends to vary by property.

Just be sure to verify the bedding configuration with the hotel directly. Some of the Residence Inns have queen beds in the 2 bedrooms, it tends to vary by property.
Thanks for the suggestion. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure we had a king bed, when we stayed there before. I'll definitely call to confirm, if we end up going with the 2 room suite.

I am going to digress a bit but when traveling as a family (DH, DS and myself), a number of times we were asked if a king bed was fine for the 3 of us. WTH?? DS was not an infant or toddler. No, not okay. One room we were given, was indeed a king bed. Went back downstairs to front desk and wanted a change of rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter