Guest Assistance Cards ending, to be replaced with Fastpasses?

For the record, since my name was mentioned, this is what I have said about requiring proof and had written in the disABILITIES FAQs thread about GACs (not proof in general - there are situations, like para transit, handicapped parking permits or discounts where proof can be required):
Do certain diagnoses qualify for a GAC?
No.
Having any specific diagnosis doesn't qualify or not qualify someone for a GAC; there is no list of "appropriate" diagnoses for a GAC. Also, the CMs do not have medical training, so a specific diagnosis does not really mean much to them.
The GAC is based on needs that the person has related to a disability, not what their diagnosis is.
The diagnosis is not really that important because people with the same diagnosis can have very different needs.
The GAC is given based on needs and the accommodations that meet those needs. This is not a Disney rule, this is the way that the ADA is written. According to the ADA, accommodations are not given based on the diagnosis or specific disability; they are given based on needs that are related to a disability.
For example, my youngest DD has cerebral palsy as her main diagnosis. Some people with cerebral palsy don't really need anything special; some might walk with a cane/crutches or use a wheelchair, but don't need anything besides an accessible line. Those people would not need a GAC.
Some people, like my DD, have additional needs that are not met just by having her wheelchair in line. I go to Guest Services and explain my DD's needs to the CMs there to get a GAC issued to her to help meet her needs.

Do I need a letter from my doctor?
You don't need a doctor's letter and the CM is likely to not want to look at it, partly because the letters are often not very helpful to the CM.
Some people DO feel more confident asking for a GAC if they have a letter, but a letter is not required. According to the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) you can not be required to provide proof of a disability.
You can choose to show proof, but can't be required. If you do have a letter, it should reflect your needs/problems related to your disability, not your diagnosis. (For example, a letter that says "My patient has xxxxxx and can't wait in lines. Please extend every possible consideration." is not helpful.) A doctors prescription has no legal standing and will not be honored, since WDW is not a medical facility.

If you choose to get a letter from your doctor:
- make sure it talks about the needs you have that you might require assistance with in the parks.
- realize that Disney CMs (Cast Members) can't help with transfers or personal care.
- be aware that some doctors might charge for an office visit to gather information for the letter or may charge to write the letter. Writing a letter does take some of the doctor's time. While many doctors may chose to do it as a service to their patients, some DIS posters have reported being charged for a letter. If this would be a problem for you, you will want to check it out ahead of time.
- be prepared that even if you bring a letter, CMs may not want to look at it at all.

And, this is what Disney says in their new FAQs about DAS:

Why doesn’t Disney Parks ask for proof of disability, such as a doctor’s note?
Disney Parks takes Guests at their word and there are legal restrictions around asking for proof.

Autism Society of Los Angeles posted this picture on its FB page

995521_582763211782201_1954060851_n.jpg

The byline says that this was Saturday at City Hall in Disneyland. A 2 hour wait for a DAS:faint:

As people having been saying all along, the GAC issues was obviously much worse at DLR which is why so many of us WDW regulars are having a hard time understanding. Disney really had no choice but to fix the problem.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....345304995528025.82117.279361912122334&type=1

Autism Society of Los Angeles posted this picture on its FB page

995521_582763211782201_1954060851_n.jpg

The byline says that this was Saturday at City Hall in Disneyland. A 2 hour wait for a DAS:faint:

As people having been saying all along, the GAC issues was obviously much worse at DLR which is why so many of us WDW regulars are having a hard time understanding. Disney really had no choice but to fix the problem.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....345304995528025.82117.279361912122334&type=1

Waiting in a 2 hour line to tell a CM you can't wait in line:confused3.....I think I would have just winged it that day.

i was thinking the same. Can this be Fastpass+ :-)

I wonder how many of those people thought they were waiting in line for the old GAC? I bet there had to be a few. Not everyone is as well versed in all things disney as us peeps on the Dis. Another thing contributing to the lines might be the fact people are throwing lengthy fits with GR managers over this new change. These lines will die down. I doubt this will be the norm.

I wonder how many of those people thought they were waiting in line for the old GAC? I bet there had to be a few. Not everyone is as well versed in all things disney as us peeps on the Dis. Another thing contributing to the lines might be the fact people are throwing lengthy fits with GR managers over this new change. These lines will die down. I doubt this will be the norm.

I think you are right. There must be so many shocked folks expecting the old GAC system and then the time it takes for CM to explain changes , then the tears and melt downs and that's just the adults lol. I would have been so upset to hear all this new on the day! if didn't have this forum but now I am calm about it.

First, I am not trying to attack anyone that needs accommodations. I myself have mobility issues and visit the parks in a wheelchair. My question is simply asking for information, not making judgements. People do not generally visit Disney parks without planning ahead of time (except perhaps for local residents with annual passes that might head to one after work on a lark). In order to park in a handicapped parking spot, you must show a placard. To receive such placard, at least in my state, you have to get a form signed by your physician that states that you have an impairment (temporary or permanent) that requires access to such parking. The form does not require a diagnosis or name of a disease. You bring this form to your DMV, and get the appropriate placard. If my child needs an accommodation at school, even just a temporary one for P.E. participation, I have to have a note from their doctor that specifies what accommodation needs to be made (and this goes for ADD, ADHD, whatever, the doctor has to tell the school to make the accommodation ... mom and dad's word aren't good enough). Again, no diagnosis or name of a disease, just what the required accommodation is (some of the IEP/504 process may involve identifying the disease, but the main point of the process is to clearly define the accommodations).

Why shouldn't Disney, or any other private business entity that provides a service to the public, have the option of having a similar form that a doctor must sign off on? Simple check boxes, including and "other" in case it's something so unusual that the necessary accommodation has to be elaborated on. As part of your vacation plan, stop by the doctor's office and talk to the nurse, get the form taken care of and bring it along with you. I'd find it hard to believe that a doctor's office would find it difficult to fill out such a form. No need to explain little Johnny's condition to a CM, just hand over a form, get the latest/greatest version of a GAC, and enjoy your day. Send it in ahead of time and it could be tied into little Johnny's mymagic+ bracelet and you don't even have to explain it to ANYONE or stop by guest services.

Yes, I know there may be laws that says this can't be done, but maybe those laws need to be changed? Could this be abused? Forge a doctor's signature? Sure. And no doubt would be, just like the previous and current system. But maybe it wouldn't be abused quite so much (wishful thinking?). As long as there is a fast pass line there will be abuse by people trying to get into it (through unnecessary GACs, forged fastpass tickets, etc). I never really understood the merit of the stories last spring about rich people hiring disabled guests to join them on a vacation when all you have to do is go to guest services and lie.

So the question in a nut shell. Is it illegal, and if so WHY??, to ask for a form that does nothing but asks for a doctor to certify that an accommodation is necessary? They wouldn't be asking for your diagnosis, you aren't being "denied access" to anything as there is nothing to prevent you from getting in line or on an attraction (the results might be unpleasant to all involved, but it's not denying you the right). How is this any different than a P.E. teaching asking for a doctor's note that little Johnny doesn't have to run or involving a doctor if he needs more time to take a test? You can't say that IEP and 504 accommodations involve public schools so that's the loophole since it's the "government", because they apply to private schools as well (and those private schools are no different than Disney in the grand scheme of things). Sure, there are times when it is just simpler to take a person's word, but what is wrong with asking for a certified form?

First, I am not trying to attack anyone that needs accommodations. I myself have mobility issues and visit the parks in a wheelchair. My question is simply asking for information, not making judgements. People do not generally visit Disney parks without planning ahead of time (except perhaps for local residents with annual passes that might head to one after work on a lark). In order to park in a handicapped parking spot, you must show a placard. To receive such placard, at least in my state, you have to get a form signed by your physician that states that you have an impairment (temporary or permanent) that requires access to such parking. The form does not require a diagnosis or name of a disease. You bring this form to your DMV, and get the appropriate placard. If my child needs an accommodation at school, even just a temporary one for P.E. participation, I have to have a note from their doctor that specifies what accommodation needs to be made (and this goes for ADD, ADHD, whatever, the doctor has to tell the school to make the accommodation ... mom and dad's word aren't good enough). Again, no diagnosis or name of a disease, just what the required accommodation is (some of the IEP/504 process may involve identifying the disease, but the main point of the process is to clearly define the accommodations).

Why shouldn't Disney, or any other private business entity that provides a service to the public, have the option of having a similar form that a doctor must sign off on? Simple check boxes, including and "other" in case it's something so unusual that the necessary accommodation has to be elaborated on. As part of your vacation plan, stop by the doctor's office and talk to the nurse, get the form taken care of and bring it along with you. I'd find it hard to believe that a doctor's office would find it difficult to fill out such a form. No need to explain little Johnny's condition to a CM, just hand over a form, get the latest/greatest version of a GAC, and enjoy your day. Send it in ahead of time and it could be tied into little Johnny's mymagic+ bracelet and you don't even have to explain it to ANYONE or stop by guest services.

Yes, I know there may be laws that says this can't be done, but maybe those laws need to be changed? Could this be abused? Forge a doctor's signature? Sure. And no doubt would be, just like the previous and current system. But maybe it wouldn't be abused quite so much (wishful thinking?). As long as there is a fast pass line there will be abuse by people trying to get into it (through unnecessary GACs, forged fastpass tickets, etc). I never really understood the merit of the stories last spring about rich people hiring disabled guests to join them on a vacation when all you have to do is go to guest services and lie.

So the question in a nut shell. Is it illegal, and if so WHY??, to ask for a form that does nothing but asks for a doctor to certify that an accommodation is necessary? They wouldn't be asking for your diagnosis, you aren't being "denied access" to anything as there is nothing to prevent you from getting in line or on an attraction (the results might be unpleasant to all involved, but it's not denying you the right). How is this any different than a P.E. teaching asking for a doctor's note that little Johnny doesn't have to run or involving a doctor if he needs more time to take a test? You can't say that IEP and 504 accommodations involve public schools so that's the loophole since it's the "government", because they apply to private schools as well (and those private schools are no different than Disney in the grand scheme of things). Sure, there are times when it is just simpler to take a person's word, but what is wrong with asking for a certified form?

Well said. We always have a note from my niece's doctor. She is not verbal so that worked out well.

For some reason I don't think Disney wants to take on the Ada and DOJ to get the law changed. I think Disney very happy they are not in their business and would like it to stay that way. So that why they are happy to stick to not asking for a dr note it proof.

But taking on ada or doj isn't the point of my question. What is the inherit difference between a private school asking for a doctor's certification to make educational accommodations, a P.E. instructor asking for a doctor's note, and Disney asking for a doctor's certification to make entertainment accommodations? The first two are legal, the third apparently not (although I've read on this thread and elsewhere differing opinions on whether it is actually illegal, or whether one specific method of asking was the legal hiccup).

As most of the posts here have said, a CM is not qualified to know what adjustments or accommodations anyone actually needs (whether they know your diagnosis or not). It ~seems~ like they should be afforded the same opportunity as a school teacher, and that is having a qualified professional help them with figuring out the appropriate accommodations. It also ~seems~ like there should be a way of doing this within the existing legal framework since some private entities (i.e. private schools) CAN do this.

But taking on ada or doj isn't the point of my question. What is the inherit difference between a private school asking for a doctor's certification to make educational accommodations, a P.E. instructor asking for a doctor's note, and Disney asking for a doctor's certification to make entertainment accommodations? The first two are legal, the third apparently not (although I've read on this thread and elsewhere differing opinions on whether it is actually illegal, or whether one specific method of asking was the legal hiccup).

As most of the posts here have said, a CM is not qualified to know what adjustments or accommodations anyone actually needs (whether they know your diagnosis or not). It ~seems~ like they should be afforded the same opportunity as a school teacher, and that is having a qualified professional help them with figuring out the appropriate accommodations. It also ~seems~ like there should be a way of doing this within the existing legal framework since some private entities (i.e. private schools) CAN do this.

I know I was not saying that I just saying Disney not going to try to change the law they have to follow it.

A private school is not subject to public accommodation laws. That's the difference.

First, I am not trying to attack anyone that needs accommodations. I myself have mobility issues and visit the parks in a wheelchair. My question is simply asking for information, not making judgements. People do not generally visit Disney parks without planning ahead of time (except perhaps for local residents with annual passes that might head to one after work on a lark). In order to park in a handicapped parking spot, you must show a placard. To receive such placard, at least in my state, you have to get a form signed by your physician that states that you have an impairment (temporary or permanent) that requires access to such parking. The form does not require a diagnosis or name of a disease. You bring this form to your DMV, and get the appropriate placard. If my child needs an accommodation at school, even just a temporary one for P.E. participation, I have to have a note from their doctor that specifies what accommodation needs to be made (and this goes for ADD, ADHD, whatever, the doctor has to tell the school to make the accommodation ... mom and dad's word aren't good enough). Again, no diagnosis or name of a disease, just what the required accommodation is (some of the IEP/504 process may involve identifying the disease, but the main point of the process is to clearly define the accommodations). Why shouldn't Disney, or any other private business entity that provides a service to the public, have the option of having a similar form that a doctor must sign off on? Simple check boxes, including and "other" in case it's something so unusual that the necessary accommodation has to be elaborated on. As part of your vacation plan, stop by the doctor's office and talk to the nurse, get the form taken care of and bring it along with you. I'd find it hard to believe that a doctor's office would find it difficult to fill out such a form. No need to explain little Johnny's condition to a CM, just hand over a form, get the latest/greatest version of a GAC, and enjoy your day. Send it in ahead of time and it could be tied into little Johnny's mymagic+ bracelet and you don't even have to explain it to ANYONE or stop by guest services. Yes, I know there may be laws that says this can't be done, but maybe those laws need to be changed? Could this be abused? Forge a doctor's signature? Sure. And no doubt would be, just like the previous and current system. But maybe it wouldn't be abused quite so much (wishful thinking?). As long as there is a fast pass line there will be abuse by people trying to get into it (through unnecessary GACs, forged fastpass tickets, etc). I never really understood the merit of the stories last spring about rich people hiring disabled guests to join them on a vacation when all you have to do is go to guest services and lie. So the question in a nut shell. Is it illegal, and if so WHY??, to ask for a form that does nothing but asks for a doctor to certify that an accommodation is necessary? They wouldn't be asking for your diagnosis, you aren't being "denied access" to anything as there is nothing to prevent you from getting in line or on an attraction (the results might be unpleasant to all involved, but it's not denying you the right). How is this any different than a P.E. teaching asking for a doctor's note that little Johnny doesn't have to run or involving a doctor if he needs more time to take a test? You can't say that IEP and 504 accommodations involve public schools so that's the loophole since it's the "government", because they apply to private schools as well (and those private schools are no different than Disney in the grand scheme of things). Sure, there are times when it is just simpler to take a person's word, but what is wrong with asking for a certified form?

Tell you what you petition your congress person to get the Ada changed (a law that just went through a lengthy review a few years ago ) too allow for front of line access to Disney. Let us know what the response is. Oh and btw you can't change a law just for one company and not others. So all theme parks would have to provide front of line access. Well what about other entertainment places such as zoos or beaches or pools. My kid has to be directly in front of the elephant or whatever. So let's change those as well. We'll then what about movie theaters. They now have to let my kid sit right in the center because that is what he needs, even if I get there right as the movie starts. And on and on.
Laws aren't written in a vacuum. There are ling reaching consequences to changes so that are unforeseen. I personally spend my energy on things that matter long term. My kids educational opportunities and eventual job training. But go ahead and contact your congress person. Be sure to report back their answer.
Btw I can forge a great doctors note in under twenty minutes complete with letterhead.

But taking on ada or doj isn't the point of my question. What is the inherit difference between a private school asking for a doctor's certification to make educational accommodations, a P.E. instructor asking for a doctor's note, and Disney asking for a doctor's certification to make entertainment accommodations? The first two are legal, the third apparently not (although I've read on this thread and elsewhere differing opinions on whether it is actually illegal, or whether one specific method of asking was the legal hiccup). As most of the posts here have said, a CM is not qualified to know what adjustments or accommodations anyone actually needs (whether they know your diagnosis or not). It ~seems~ like they should be afforded the same opportunity as a school teacher, and that is having a qualified professional help them with figuring out the appropriate accommodations. It also ~seems~ like there should be a way of doing this within the existing legal framework since some private entities (i.e. private schools) CAN do this.
children are entitled to a free appropriate education. Period. Children are not entitled to a vacation to Disney world or anywhere else. Period. That is the difference. One is a right under the law. The other is not. And private schools do not have to modify their programs for kids with special needs.

Tell you what you petition your congress person to get the Ada changed (a law that just went through a lengthy review a few years ago ) too allow for front of line access to Disney. Let us know what the response is. Oh and btw you can't change a law just for one company and not others. So all theme parks would have to provide front of line access. Well what about other entertainment places such as zoos or beaches or pools. My kid has to be directly in front of the elephant or whatever. So let's change those as well. We'll then what about movie theaters. They now have to let my kid sit right in the center because that is what he needs, even if I get there right as the movie starts. And on and on.
Laws aren't written in a vacuum. There are ling reaching consequences to changes so that are unforeseen. I personally spend my energy on things that matter long term. My kids educational opportunities and eventual job training. But go ahead and contact your congress person. Be sure to report back their answer.
Btw I can forge a great doctors note in under twenty minutes complete with letterhead.

Very well said

Excellent post! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter